I finished my stick!

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
YAY! It's SO cool! I LOVE IT! but goddamn, that was a bitch and 3/4.

I had to cut apart this little cable, which conveniently had 15 pins and was female.
Also, this damn thing had a stupid wide ass plastic head (PC cable format), which surrounded the metal part that actually connected something. After taking that off, the fookin metal part was still there. after taking that off, the goddamn plastic thing had 2 parts, which formed a little rim which hindered the possibility of it fitting into my neo. so, i had to laboriously melt it off with a soldering iron, and had to shape it all nice and neoey. Not only did this do away with the rim, but it molded the two pieces together :) It's pretty cool, i might post up pics later. after that, i had to map out each wire from the head of the connector to the bare ends. The multimeter sensors were too wide to fit into the actual pin port, so i had to dig out hot glue and reach them from the backside where the pins go in. that took a while, not to mention tagging the wires with stickers. :( After that, It was all perfect, except for one thing: it was only 4 inches long!!! :mad:

So, I remembered that HAPP had gave me the wrong cable, (male, needed female) but there was still a cable there. So, i cut off the head of the cable, and got a fresh idea. (albeit an annoying one). I decided that i had to solder each wire from the neo connector to the HAPP cable, and that took a LONG time. i had to tag again!! RRRRGH!!

After all that bullshit, i had to actually wire the stuff. I soldered each point to the microswitches (i'm not using a PCB), which wasn't that hard, except for the fuckin common wire. I had to solder two extension wires to the original common wire because i had moronically broken it. but before this, i had to strip the wires of their rubber coatings without breaking them. That took some time. Luckily, i remembered that the stick's directions were opposite, so i didn't have any of that trouble. I isolated every wire on the cable-to-cable connection with electrical tape, and then taped the whole wire up. It fits nice! Overall, i'm very happy with the results, and i'll use this a lot. The only thing i need now is a bottom "case" to nail it to, because right now, they're just on a piece of particle board, and when i play with it, it stabs my legs.

Number of mistakes i made: 1
Number of injuries incurred: 3 (1 tiny cut and two soldering iron burns. OUCH!)
Cost of this project: $30~$35
Number of hours playing KOF2K: Endless

BTW, if you've ever seen the great site ASSembler, you'll know where i got this from :D

Edit: cleared up wiring details

[ May 04, 2001: Message edited by: NeoGML ]

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
i will soon. by the way, i found a botttom for it! it's a plastic file tray and it looks real nice! i think it might be only temporary, however. Oh well, yay!

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
I went through some of the same trials and tribulations you did when I built my stick, NeoGML. I managed to get some parts from Mouser Electronics that made things a bit easier, though.

I like the idea in the one FAQ that shows where the guy built the joysticks into the table he got from IKEA. It would be cooler to have them on a slanted platform, though.

[ May 04, 2001: Message edited by: BioMotor_Unitron ]