Tech help with MVS 1-Slot Sound troubleshooting.

Falwyn

n00b
I am running a 1 slot neo geo out of a converted cabinet, using a standard power supply, and my games seem to work fine graphic wise... the coin counters work fine... but when I play any games, the sound seems to want to "short out".. kinda like the static you hear when a TV station goes off the air. Its being run on a single speaker (mono) setting, via a standard Jamma harness. I'm thinking there might be a short somewhere... but anyone who might could help me troubleshoot the reasons the sound would "cut out" like it does, would be truly helpful. Until a lot of actions get going on the screen it seems fine, nice and clear sound, and I even get a clear neo geo theme when game boots up, but if I ever get a lot going, it seems to cut out. I need somewhere to start a troubleshooting method. I doubt the adjustable power settings should effect it. Any advice appreciated.
P.S. I've tested it on a known working Jamma cab, and get the same static cutouts. I have 2 test cartridges and I doubt both have bad sound roms, so I'm at wits ends.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Ok, the first thing that I need to know is if the standard power supply you are referring to is actually in fact a PC power supply. Was the 1 slot audio working correctly before you used the PC power supply as a power source? If you in fact did use a pc power supply as the power source for your one slot did you use a 2 amp fuse in the +12 input. The +12 input powers the audio amp in ALL jamma boards and draws close to 2 amps of current, if it draws more than this the audio amp WILL be damaged thus this is why you need a 2 amp fuse in the 12 volt input to limit the amount of current that can pass through the 12 volt input. Don't forget about the 10 amp fuse in the +5 input. If you did use a pc power supply without any fuses for your 1 slot chances are that at some point the 2 amp limitation on the +12 input was exceeded damaging the audio amplifier in your board. I know this from experience, I was trying to hook up the Q sound ouput on my cps2 board to my home stereo and acidently shorted the up volume, down volume and volume ground together at the same time with a neigboring pin causing the audio to go out completely leaving the video still fully operational, but luckily the 2 amp fuse opened up saving my board. I warn you that MVS boards use surface mounted parts that are HARD to remove unless your VERY skilled at removing IC I recomend you find a professional to fix your board. If you are hell bent on trying to do it yourself I start by tracing pins 10 and L on the jamma connector this should most definitely lead you to the audio amp, without knowing what version 1 slot you have I can not help you any further than this because the different version of the MVS 1 slot use different layout and chips. If by the way you were using a arcade power supply all along or you did use the fuse on the +12 line the problem most likeky still lies in the audio section of the board. What condition was the 1 slot in before you noticed this problem, if you did use a arcade power supply want condition was that in.

autobotclown

Kula's Candy
once again i have no idea waht that guy is talking about.
Heres how to fix it.
first is the static one side or both. fist hook up the speakers to different speakers if it sounds find if so then it is youre speakers.
for one speaker prob. take the speaker that is playing clear and replace it with the speaker that is not playing clear if the speaker that was playing clear does not youre slot is busted. Lots of people like aslan sell slots with busted stero because they say not to many people have decaded cabs which is bullshit but the sell it like that any ways.I own 15 cabs and can fix anything with them. let me know what happens.
autobotclown@yahoo.com
any ques.

autobotclown

Kula's Candy
also try turning up the voltage on youre cab.some times it is the game dont pug it in all cart in all the way. That is waht i do with twinkle star sprites. If it is plug in all the way the volume cuts in and out

Falwyn

n00b
Thanks guys.
Mainman... The power supply is a standard Adjustable one you use in Jamma Arcade cabinets. I am not using any PC oriented power supply as they aren't easy to work with in arcade cabs.. so I am not quite sure I follow you on the PC Power Supply problems you list. The wiring/power requirements isn't the problem I am having, just was needing some troubleshooting tips on the audio.
Autobot... Currently, I am running it on a single speaker setup. My cabinet's second speaker was faulty, so I just cut it out, re-wired it standard 1 Speaker Jamma. (NOTE: I am not currently using any sort of audio amp after the +,- audio pinnouts.. for troubleshooting references I bypassed them). Speaker is good, and tested. I have also adjusted the power settings on the supply, and have similar problems. Same on a second power supply I tested. My MVS is a pretty old board with a stereo/mono switch on it, and on either setting, it bears similar results. But I keep it on Mono, since I am fully using the Jamma harness for audio. I am not using the auxillary speaker/headphone outs for audio. I've been tinkering with it for quite sometime, and have about came to the conclusion that either A: both my old test cartridges may be bad, or B: my MVS one slot is just so old that its time was due for replacement. My last resort will probably be to buy a known working test cartridge real cheap, and use that as a basis to restart troubleshooting. If same problems occur, I will just find another 1 slot or 2 slot to replace it.

Thanks.