Confusing part numbers... and how to measure potentiometer wattage?

ShmengeTravel

Mature's Make-up Artist
I have a bit of a problem. I'm about to order replacement parts for a WG K7000 series monitor, which needs a new contrast pot on the remote board. Now I have another machine with the same remote board, that reads the pot as 10K XE with a part number of VR101 (the same exact part number, and board number as my monitor with the broken pot). However when I look up this part number at happ, it tells me VR101 is a 1K pot. :conf:

Am I reading this wrong? Heres a random pic of the remote board I'm talking about (top right pot, hard to see but it reads VR101)

k7_remote.jpg

Also, happ has two different types of trim pots, one .3W and one .5. According to happs website the VR101 is .3W, but I want to make sure because the whole "is it 1K or is it 10K" thing is throwing me for a loop. :(

Last edited:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Do you have access to a multi-meter (ohm meter) ? On the pot there should be markings. 103 is 10 x 1000 which is typical for a contrast pot.

Regarding 0.3 or 0.5W for that application, if it physicaly mounts OK in the location, use it - it is not critical. Do not sweat.

Also- it may just need cleaning ?

Last edited:

ShmengeTravel

Mature's Make-up Artist
Nah, the pot is long gone. it fell apart in my hands. I just ordered a whole new remote board for it, cause I didn't realize that along with happs specification fiasco, they wanted 5 bucks for a single pot! :p

But when I first got the machine, the contrast was wayyy off. Sure enough upon inspecting it, part of the tiny pcb on the pot was cut. As soon as I took it out to tried to fix it, it crumbled. Hopefully I'll just swap out the board and all will be well. :)

Thanks guys!

ShmengeTravel

Mature's Make-up Artist
Quick question - I have two different types of pots that I could use to adjust the volume on one of my cabs, a regular decent size volume pot and then one of those trim pots pictured above (200 or 500 ). When I wire up the regular volume pot (SEGA inparticular), the volume knob does nothing (it's brand new) - it adjusts the volume slightly... slightly.. slightly.. then when it reaches the end it BLASTS the volume. Ironically, it blasts the volume when you turn it to the end in either direction. Wiring it up to the trim pot works ok, but I didn't think they could be used for something of this nature? :conf:

Last edited: