Memory card question

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
What error do you get when the memory card battery dies?

I'm getting a card no good error when card is in @ boot up and a unable to format card error when trying to save a game to it. Card was working fine when I last used it.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
What error do you get when the memory card battery dies?

I'm getting a card no good error when card is in @ boot up and a unable to format card error when trying to save a game to it. Card was working fine when I last used it.

I seem to remember it saying my mem card was no good before I put a battery into one of my SRAM cards. Then again it was a third party card, so it would have never come up good in the normal mem card test. I forget if I messed with it before or after putting in the UniBIOS.

Is your card a SNK card or some other one?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I think I may gave a dead battery SNK mem card..The last I turned on the cab with it in it said Memory Card Error....I have to try it again..

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Thanks...looks like I have a new project for when I'm laid up -- replacing memory card battery.

Sucks that my card is dead though.

Oh well.

yoko kurama

Kuroko's Training Dummy
yea, you'll need to de-solder it and resolder in a new battery. Real pain in the @$$ too, you have to be carefull not to get it too hot or it will make the new battery leak and not work, plus jack your card up. I've done one and I would rather pay some one to do that again lol. Hell getting the card apart with a damn razor blade was probably the biggest pain in the ass! But I went through 2 or 3 batteries before I got it right, damn batterie is just so sensative to heat.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
That's good to know.

My soldering skills are meh...maybe I'll have to reconsider...

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Just go to Batteries Plus and buy a battery. They'll spot weld the solder tabs on it for you so it'll fit perfectly. Just take the old one in as a template.

Plus you really DO NOT want to solder directly to the battery. It's dangerous.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Thank you sir. I have a batteries plus a couple of miles up the road from me.

That will make things easier.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I think I may gave a dead battery SNK mem card..The last I turned on the cab with it in it said Memory Card Error....I have to try it again..

I have two original cards....

I just tried the both of them in the Big Reds and the one no longer gives me the error message...

I think the card may have not been in(click) all the way when I got the error message the other day..

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I checked the card in one of my 2 slots last night...worked fine. Retested it again in my 4 slot and I get a card error.

Problem obviously isn't the card.

Oh well...maybe the card reader got messed up. Maybe it's the mobo. At least I know now that the card is still good.

I'll have to try it out a little later with a different 4 slot PCB to determine for sure.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
My bad card said it needed to be formatted and when I tried to format the card it said it was copy protected. Replacing the battery was easy enough & no problems since.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
My bad card said it needed to be formatted and when I tried to format the card it said it was copy protected. Replacing the battery was easy enough & no problems since.

Thanks, that's good to know so if I see that I know what's going on.

I know it is not the battery, but I'll probably swap it out soon anyway -- just so it's done. I didn't think trying it out on my 2 slot when I first posted. Works fine in 2 different 2 slot boards. I'm just having problems with it on my 4 slot card reader.

Never got around to swapping out four slot PCBs to see if it is mobo or card reader problem.

Maybe later.

Not a big deal if I can't get it working with the big red, can always use it in the goldie.

Last edited: