Reverse insertion of carts (Z80 related)

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I foolishly inserted a cart upside down on a 1FZ the other day, now have a Z80 error. (the plastic cart carrier was not fitted)

Im guessing it is the Z80 itself, it is a 84C100AM smd Z80 type in this case.

Is this common when carts are accidentally inserted incorrectly on the later smd typpe boards.?

Reason I ask is that I have seen it done on older mvs boards that use 40 pin DIP Z80s with no ill effect.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
I've never seen a board die from a reverse insertion. The power and ground lines are symmetrical so if you plug it in upside down it's still powered correctly.

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
Could this possibly be an issue with dirt? You never know unless everything is spottless clean. >.>

Also, I didn't know about that Channelmaniac, thanks for posting. :D

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I've never seen a board die from a reverse insertion. The power and ground lines are symmetrical so if you plug it in upside down it's still powered correctly.
I wish Sega were smart enough to follow this common sense.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
OK thanks for the replies guys, perhaps the Z80 is OK after all. I know the board worked fine before inserting the cart upside down (it is the basis of a supergun project Im working on at the moment) I have tried diferent carts and cleaned several times.

How common is a Z80 error with dirty contacts- have not been into the neo for a long time now but when I was, it was always a case of Xhatch or corrupt gfx with dirty contacts- never the error message.

Maybe I cracked a track inserting the cart without the plastic holder. But in theory wouldnt you get a x-hatch if there were an open circuit around there (as if there was no cart inserted) rather than a Z80 error ?

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
If the sound program ROM on the cartridge can't be read you get the Z80 error.

If the game program ROM on the cartridge can't be read you get the crosshatch screen.

RJ

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Yea,if I attempt to put a dirty contact cart in via I didn't clean it first I get a Z80 Error..

If not that,corrupted graphics,corrupted sound.......Cross hatch if I don't have any other games in the 4 slot mobo..

The first time I saw a 780 Error pop up on screen on the Big Red I was Spooked.=(Ohh No!!!)
I got a Memory Card errpr the other day upon firing up the Big Red with a mem card in it,that I have to look into..