Questions and introduction

Grandmaster

Kula's Candy
hello neo board. i thought i would take this time to say hi and ask some questions that have been lingering. i don't currently own a neo system so i have many things to ask about aes, cd and mvs. i grew up during the nes, sms, snes, genesis, turbografx, arcade and neo era but unfortunately the neo geo had always been out of my reach because of price. but there's one thing i can say, i looooved samurai shodown! that was the game that turned me into a snk fan. i would play that at the arcade more than street fighter because i liked it a lot better but of course sf was more popular so i eventually went the way of capcom because i had more people to play the games with. i'm looking for a way to bring back and enjoy all those great snk memories again, so i thought it was about time i start looking into getting a home system.

1. in regard to durability, how do neo systems perform? seems like the aes would work forever if taken care of, but the neo cd/cdz both seem fragile. out of the three cd systems, which is most reliable and would give me less trouble? are they easy to get repaired if necessary?

2. are all neo controllers compatible with all systems?

3. i've seen a lot of pictures of collections where people put their aes or cd system on the carpet. do neo systems have good defense against overheating?

4. is there any reason why samurai spirits bushidouretsuden remained a neo cd exclusive?

5. could someone explain to me better about a consolized mvs? who builds these things and how can you find them?

6. is an unmodified aes system only capable of composite video and monaural sound?

that's all for now i guess, but i'm sure i will think of more. thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability:

2. are all neo controllers compatible with all systems?

Essentially, yes. I'm not aware of any Neo controllers that aren't compatible with one or another system, the MVS (on some boards), AES and CD(Z) all use the same Joystick ports.

4. is there any reason why samurai spirits bushidouretsuden remained a neo cd exclusive?

If you're talking about Samurai Shodown RPG (which I believe so), it was ported to the PS1 and Saturn.

5. could someone explain to me better about a consolized mvs? who builds these things and how can you find them?

Basically all a consolized MVS is, is it has a power supply, controller ports (sometimes already present) and has the sound and video directly tapped off the board and wired to jacks on the case (if the board has one). Really the only confusing part I see with a CMVS is the Video Encoder, after that the rest of modification seems relatively easy.

6. is an unmodified aes system only capable of composite video and monaural sound?

Yes, and don't forget RF if you have an RF Switch.

Grandmaster

Kula's Candy
mvs still seems a little complicated for me :scratch:. i will look into getting an aes or neo cd. it's good to hear all controllers are compatible.

you are right about ssrpg being available for psone and saturn, however, i was actually referring to it being available on the aes. i guess it's just one of those things and snk decided to keep it cd exclusive.

thank you for the info so far! :)

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
You can get stereo sound from an unmodded AES, you just have to use the headphone jack. It's not the prettiest solution, but it works.

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
mvs still seems a little complicated for me :scratch:. i will look into getting an aes or neo cd. it's good to hear all controllers are compatible.

you are right about ssrpg being available for psone and saturn, however, i was actually referring to it being available on the aes. i guess it's just one of those things and snk decided to keep it cd exclusive.

thank you for the info so far! :)

Well you didn't specify between the AES or other consoles so I assumed you were referring to other consoles in general, not specifically the AES. I believe the biggest reason SNK didn't port SSRPG to the AES was to give the consumer another reason to purchase a Neo CD, also because SSRPG was more a home console title and would have felt out of place on an Arcade console.

Either way, glad I could be of help. :)

You can get stereo sound from an unmodded AES, you just have to use the headphone jack. It's not the prettiest solution, but it works.

Oh yeah, I forgot the AES had a headphone jack, just like the Genesis Model 1. :lolz: