Trouble with my consolized 4 slot

K'99

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
I recently hooked up my consolized 4 slot to find out that it is no longer working. The psu I'm using was originally for my consolized atomiswave but thats long since gone and since then I was the using the same unit for my 4 slot. I've never had any issues with it until now. The 4 slot has been packed up since I moved down to Florida which was 3 months ago. Is it possible that it's the actual unit itself is dead and the not the psu? The power supply seems to be somewhat working as it gets a little hot when it's plugged it but when I flip the power switch, there's no visual. One other thing that I did notice is that when I moved the power supply I noticed that there's something loose inside. Someone please help, I was really looking forward to playing Garou and SS5 special and now I can't get my fix of some SNK goodness!

discgolfer72

Crossed Swords Squire
easy test
use a multi meter and test for 5v and 12v output on the powersuply if you are not getting this then ps is bad

you can buy a cheapo one (multimeter)at harbor freight of crap shack(raido shack)

K'99

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
So I got a mulitimeter and I'm not sure If I'm using it right. The one I got has an extra attachment that clicks in on the top of the device so you can measure the voltage by just sliding the wire through 2 clamps. The manual says to set it for ACA and adjust between 3a,15a, and 30a until you get a reading. Doing that does absolutely nothing. Here's the model I got from crapshack. I know, I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103173

discgolfer72

Crossed Swords Squire
id return that hunk youd be better off with one of these i have never seen any good multi meters at crap shack(and dont get me startedon the soldering gun i bought for 39$ there)
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=multimeter

i bought a cheapo kit that came with a meter from cummings tools(like harbor freight but local)kit cost 5.99 and the multi meter it came with works as good as my old bluepoint that got jacked

K'99

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Yeah......I could do that, but for the time being I'd still like see if my psu is actually bad with this hunk of poo.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Why would you set a multimeter to AC Amps when you want to read DC Volts? :conf:

K'99

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Like I said, im a total noob with this stuff. I was just doing what the manual said( or im just a complete idiot).

K'99

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
I just realized that I still have my revolver supergun, so I decided to hook it up to the 4 slot and of course it still works. I'm guessing maybe there's a problem with the wiring....I don't know. Since I've never consolized one of these before, nor have I really done any soldering with anything, I don't think I should touch it. But, I'm going to take off the cover and take pics of everything and maybe someone will notice something that's off.

Last edited:

K'99

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Is there anyone in the Orlando area that could come by and take a look at my 4 slot?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I just realized that I still have my revolver supergun, so I decided to hook it up to the 4 slot and of course it still works. I'm guessing maybe there's a problem with the wiring....I don't know. Since I've never consolized one of these before, nor have I really done any soldering with anything, I don't think I should touch it. But, I'm going to take off the cover and take pics of everything and maybe someone will notice something that's off.

Besides the masking tape and extra long wiring I think you should check the PSU first.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I have a similar Radio Shack multimeter. Turn it to I think the setting on the bottom of the dial. It should say 0 and stay that way when you touch the two needles together unless there's a voltage. Find the pin on your supply's connector that's for ground and which is for +5v, by trying them all and you should eventually be able to determine if it's outputting a current or not.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Easy way would be to plug in the PSU to the 4 slot with the cover off and you can touch the pins on the socket and check there.

K'99

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
I really think it's the unit though considering when I hooked up the 4 slot to the supergun with the same PSU, it worked.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Then obviously the consolization is faulty.

Check the connection from the PSU socket to the mobo for the +5v trail.