Samurai Shodown Anthology PSP

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
It's out in Asia.

I'm glad I didn't immediately order this like I was about to yesterday and waited to try it out first. Let's get right to it:

+ The game contains Samurai Shodown I-VI. Yes, Tenka has been renamed.
- Samurai Shodown V Special is NOWHERE TO BE FOUND. Not a surprise.
+ SSI-V are completely uncensored. (VI never had blood)
- No language options. This is only really an issue for VI; you can't turn off the awful English announcer.
+ Multiple video options including the original resolution, 4:3, and stretched.
- These DO NOT apply to SSVI. WTF were they thinking; the game is stuck at 4:3 and just looks too scrunched up on the screen.
- The filtering used in the Wii version of SS Tenka looks AWFUL on the PSP screen and cannot be turned off. Looks like a 2D PSOne game emulated on a PC with graphical glitches showing.
+ Media option allows for sound tests, character galleries, and more.
- No arranged soundtracks for I-V.
- Laughable training modes; barely any options available.
- SSVI's frame rate seems slightly off. Not as smooth as the other games.
- In-game move lists for each title.
- Longer-than-expected load times when booting up each game.
- None of the extra modes and options from the home console Tenka are in this version. Incredibly bare-bones.

I wanted to get this mainly for Tenka, since I already have SSI-SSV Special on my CFW PSP. Unfortunately Tenka is less-than-stellar on PSP and without arranged soundtracks or any of the added home console port options, I see no reason to buy this compilation. In Japan Tenka is slated to come out on PSP by itself. Hopefully this will be a different (and better) port, but I am doubtful.

Stick to the SS collections on PS2 and Wii, pass on this one unless you are dying to have SSI-V on the go and don't mind the bare-bones ports.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, I also was only interested in this for Tenka... It's not hard for anyone to play 1-5special on psp already and without glitches, loading, etc., so fuck this.

I'll be on the lookout for the separate Tenka psp release. If it looks better, I'll pick it up.

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
Yeah, I also was only interested in this for Tenka... It's not hard for anyone to play 1-5special on psp already and without glitches, loading, etc., so fuck this.

I'll be on the lookout for the separate Tenka psp release. If it looks better, I'll pick it up.
I'm actually really interested in this for Tenka too. Like you said, 1-5 Special are already playable without glitches.

fiolinagermi

Zero's Secretary
I wish I could give it a rental, but they dont rent psp games. With how bad Arcade Classics was on PSP, I just have to say I am going to skip this one. Especially since it will most likely carry a 30 dollar price tag.

mungrin

Panko KING,
I am hesitant to buy this because i bought the Metal Slug Anthology for PsP and to me its borderline unplayable because of the slowdown and loadtimes.MS6 is a chopfest and multiplayer becomes a slideshow.The loadtimes take forever,even when just selecting a char.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Those movelist loading screens are such cheapening POS's. I HATE this especially in the garbage orochi saga collection. God I'm glad I own a neo.