Help with mvs 4 slot cab

System boots into test mode only.all the dip switches are off and after setup i reboot and get garbled images and colors and then it goes directly to the crosshatch screen. this is my first arcade and i could use your help.

ShmengeTravel

Mature's Make-up Artist
It sounds like its not detecing a cart. If I'm correct the MVS displays a crosshatch when theres no cart inserted, so just clean the contacts on the cart connectors and try it again.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Check the battery for leakage.

On the MV4 (This does not occur on the MV4F) if the battery leaks it will eat traces that run under it. Look at the traces under it for discoloration. They should be a uniform color. If not, then they will probably be damaged.

RJ

Thanks for the quick replys guys ill check out your tips asap. and i currently have fatal fury, magician lord, nam 1975 and cyberlip

ok cleaned the contacts on the carts and inspected the battery on the bottom board it didnt show any sighns of leakage it actually looked fairly clean. still the same behavior. it starts up with a screen of white and blue blocks and random text then straight to the crosshatch.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
You have to cut the red cardboard material off the contacts on the battery then desolder and remove the battery to look under it.

Then you can test the connections with digital multimeter on continuity.

RJ

100_2813.jpg

ok removed the battery and there was a little leak. I really dont know what to look for but the leads that an under the batt look broken up as compared to the others on the board. attached a pic so you can take a look and let me know if u see anything wrong.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
OK...

You need to scrape off that glue crap with your fingernail... clean that part of the board with some Formula 409 Orange cleaner and a tooth brush. Rinse with water or alcohol. (Tap water is OK if you have low mineral content)

Let dry overnight.

Follow those traces to where the go through the board to the bottom side. Take a multimeter and check continuity for each trace from the platethru to the pins on the connector next to the battery. You'll find one or more that are broken. Run a bit of 30 gauge Kynar wire wrap wire (available at Radio Shack) to fix each bad trace.

Don't solder to the plated thru holes. Instead, look where the go under the board and follow them to the chip they connect to. Run the jumper from that chip to the solder point on the connector.

RJ

b33nine

n00b
I recently picked up a 4 slot mvs as well, and I've been trying to start a new thread to ask some questions, but it seems there are some problems with posting new threads as a new member.

Would it be ok to ask my questions here? :)

yea go ahead and post any question you got i dont care im actually going to send channelmaciac my board for repair as i know notihng about electronics. thanks for the help everyone and good luck