Wiring a marquee light to a cabinet - how to?

ShmengeTravel

Mature's Make-up Artist
OK so I just want to confirm that this is infact as simple as it sounds. I have a cabinet that has no marquee light in it at all, not a bulb nor a fixture and it looks like the wiring for it was also ripped out of it. So now I have to figure out how to wire up a new fixture.

I think this can be summed up in 3 easy steps. Correct me if I'm wrong:

1.) Go to home depot and buy an under cabinet fixture.
2.) Cut the cord and run the wires to the Isolation transformer output (or bypass it completely?)
3.) Turn it on.

Now the only things that confuse me are if the power supply is rated at 115v, and the fixture is rated at 120, is something about to blow, or is this OK? And I'm not sure whether or not to wire the fixture directly to the isolation transformer or bypass it completely (the black going to the 115v and the white going to the 0v, I'm assuming. If I bypass the transformer, what on the PSU do I wire these to?)

Thanks in advance!

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
dont use the output of the isolation transformer, only your monitor should be on that (if it requires one.)

take the hot from the output of the power switch (should have some kind of ac distrobution block) and connect neutral and ground to neutral and ground similarly.

something ive been doing in rewires is using power strips with built in line filters/fuses. makes wiring much simpler to use ac plugs, imo. built in switch too!

discgolfer72

Crossed Swords Squire
in the rescent cabs ive done i have used computer cold cathode lights they are bright can be gotten in dofrent colors and can usually be run off the 5v line of the ps (sometimes they are 12v) they also last a long time and run verry cool so not as much heat is genrated inside your cab

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
dont use the output of the isolation transformer, only your monitor should be on that (if it requires one.)

take the hot from the output of the power switch (should have some kind of ac distrobution block) and connect neutral and ground to neutral and ground similarly.

something ive been doing in rewires is using power strips with built in line filters/fuses. makes wiring much simpler to use ac plugs, imo. built in switch too!

Yeah that Is what I do if there isn't an AC Plug off my PSU (Like the Neo29 has). But I just wire in a cheap Extension cord....

ShmengeTravel

Mature's Make-up Artist
Just want to make sure I wire this correctly - if the fixtures are rated at 120V, but the PSU rates at 115V (which most do), can I still do this?

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
115 and 120, there is no difference. There is a lot of variation in the AC voltage coming from your home sockets.