AES Sound Problem - YM2610 prob?

Xenepp

n00b
Hey guys,

I've got an AES which I bought from a deadbeat seller on ebay who won't refund me and refuses to believe the console has any problems but it's so obvious that if he had played it for hours like he said then he'd know exactly what I'm talking about. Regardless, I can't get a refund so I'll have to fix it.

One of the ADPCM channels is doing strange things, it seems the YM2610 is modulating the sample rate and muting it. I've included an audio file to show you what I mean (SS is an example, ALL games do it):

Samurai Shodown
http://www.gamernator.com/ng.zip
(WARNING!! TURN YOUR VOLUME DOWN!!)

The board DOES have a trace repair on the Neo-C1 chip though that seems fine. I think whatever is causing this is a result of whatever happened to the board to need the repair.

It sounds to me like the YM is doing this, due to the sample rate modulation and another thing is it seems to get louder when the console has been on a while. The YM also seems to get really warm, almost hot quite quickly. Is this normal on the older boards? I'd assume not.

So would I be right to assume this? Also, where might I be able to source a YM2610 from? Google searches prove useless.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

-Joel

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I had an AES that sounded like that and it was a bad trace iirc.

Xenepp

n00b
I've gone over the board front and back and continuity tested as many traces as my eyes can take.

Can you remember what area the break was in?

-Joel

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Maybe if I see a close up of a board I can remember. Mine was a 3-5 I think though.