CPS2 Battery replacement hints, please.......

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Hello fellas,

Thanks to all who have given me info on this before, but now I'm wondering...where can I score the right kind of batteries for this? Any ideas are welcome....

achika

Geese's Thug
<a href="http://cps2shock.retrogames.com/suicide.html" target="_blank">CPS 2 Shock</a>. They have a total how to/what you need guide. This is a direct link to that page, though I suggest you check out the whole site. Interesting stuff.

BC_Gambit

Beni,
It took me a while to find the batteries in my province.

I suggest calling a battery specialy store and asking.

The guy in Vancouver, BC was able to make some up special for me (adding solder tabs to regular 3.6V lithium batteries).

Talen

Leona's Therapis,
Radio shack stocks the correct batteries. Just ask for a 3.6v lithium battery.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Talen:
<strong>Radio shack stocks the correct batteries. Just ask for a 3.6v lithium battery.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Your going to have to mail order them through radio shack because the 3.6 lithium with Axial lead are not sold in the stores. I would not use one that someone sodered on the leads, damages the battery.

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
THE PROBLEM with the CPS Capcom systems is that the battery is actually an encryption data holder. If the memory ever fails or the battery is disconnected, teh game will die.
Capcom used to reprogram their encryption, but at a couple of hundred bucks.

Scumbags.

Asi

n00b
..Or you can make a good battery holder for an ordinary lithium 3.6v battery.

I wouldn't be too concerned about messing up and losing the game. The sram is extremely low power and will work with no battery for a short time. It is better to supply power or have a battery wired in parallel when replacing, though.

Talen

Leona's Therapis,
I wasn't saying that anyone should solder directly to the battery, that would be pretty foolish considering that you could buy or make a holder for it. CPS 2 boards last for about an hour with the battery removed. If you can't desolder two wires and resolder them in an hour, you really shouldn't be bothering with cps2.

Arakon

Robert Garcia's Butler
actually the board can survive easily without the battery, for a few mins. remove battery, add new one, done.
not THAT risky.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Arakon:
<strong>actually the board can survive easily without the battery, for a few mins. remove battery, add new one, done.
not THAT risky.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, but would you chance it with for example D & D 2.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Originally posted by mainman:
<strong>Yeah, but would you chance it with for example D & D 2.</strong><hr></blockquote>

hehe... right, I also much prefer copperbottomed methods...

<a href="http://www.online-club.de/~arcade2/suicidecps.htm" target="_blank">http://www.online-club.de/~arcade2/suicidecps.htm</a>

Shpoo

, ,
Loopz,

Trying to find the Maxell battery that comes with the board may take some searching. If you have a Fry's in your area they carry a battery that works just the same. I forgot the brand name but the battery is purple & green w/ tails on each end.

Go with the CPS2 Shock instructions, desolder the old battery and solder on the new one. I've changed about 16 batteries using their process and none of them have died on me.

[ March 28, 2002: Message edited by: Shpoo ]</p>