power supply for supergun

Rassilon

Angel's Love Slave
Hey guys,

Working on building a supergun, using a jrok component encoder i think...

Whats a good power supply to use these days? i'd prefer something table top, or pretty compact, so i can keep the size of the supergun down.

How much should i worry about -5v?

I found a pretty small looking 5v/12v power supply on ebay (5v@10A, 12v@1.5A, 60W):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120285260992
Any thoughts or comments on that one?

with the sc200 being unobtanium, and i cant find the sw300 at jameco anymore either, any suggestions would be welcome.

(If anyone has a sc200 or 2 they'd be willing to part with, let me know!)

Thanks!

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
That actually looks like a pretty capable / well priced power supply. If you're building inside an enclosure, it would get the job done nicely, IMO.

As for -5, you need to consider what games you intend to play. Do you have some specific boards in mind or are you just looking to try to support as much as possible?

Rassilon

Angel's Love Slave
That actually looks like a pretty capable / well priced power supply. If you're building inside an enclosure, it would get the job done nicely, IMO.

As for -5, you need to consider what games you intend to play. Do you have some specific boards in mind or are you just looking to try to support as much as possible?

Well, i dont have a lot of specific stuff in mind (only board i own so far is system-16 shinobi, which doesnt need -5)... sega stuff (system 16, st-v etc), capcom stuff, maybe eventually atomiswave...

basically wanted to try to have pretty good compatibility, but i havent been able to find a power supply with -5v other than the big stuff (arcade cab, PC ATX/etc).

Cheers!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If you can get a good size project box, a standard arcade PSU will do the job very well. Just might need some sort of fan cooling.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Arcade psu does not get hot, it won't need a fan. However you would want some sort of ventilation on the case.

I strongly recommend you use a proper arcade power supply. Not only are they adjustable but they also provide -5v which quite a lot of games require.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Arcade psu does not get hot, it won't need a fan. However you would want some sort of ventilation on the case.

"I" needed to put a fan in, there simply was no ventilation in the project box. Cutting a vent is a hell of a lot harder than cutting a square and screwing in a fan.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Best way for vent holes are several holes in a circle arrangement right above the heat source, if you plan to use a fan make sure you have intake holes to channel the air across the heatsinks. I always prefer a push-pull method with 2 fans for a constant stream of air.

Arcade PSUs do get hot when in an enclosure. But if you leave your PSU out of an enclosure in the wide open air, it's your balls if you get shocked. 10A is way more than enough to kill you.

Rassilon

Angel's Love Slave
OK, if i use an arcade PSU, what is the smallest one i can get?
The ones i see on a quick search of ebay are around 7x5x2" or so... is that the best it gets, or are there some smaller ones out there?

Thanks

DewmanSNK

Formerly NeoGeeO, , Collaborator
10 Year Member
I built a supergun using a pc power supply - put it in a small project box with a jrok board and no vent and no fan. It has even been left on for 72 hours hooked to a pcb. The top above the heatsink was only slightly warm, same temp it gets after a few hours of play.

I have been using it almost everyday for past 3 months and it seems ok. I think the pc power supply was only in the 350 - 400 watt range

DSC00366.jpg

Watch out!! Those heat sinks carry voltage, ask me how I know

Last edited:

Rassilon

Angel's Love Slave
Ok, snagged an arcade PSU off ebay tonight.
Not too huge, 6.5" x 4" x1.5", i'll just get a slightly larger case than originally planned.

Thanks for the help!