Amazon Posting: KOF Orochi PS2 & PSP

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Link
Product Features

* The most extensive KOF collection ever containing 5 complete games
* Includes the Orochi Saga trilogy (95-97)
* Unlockable bonus content materials

So... two games unlockabe then?
Releasing Oct. 28th. PS2 & PSP.

As always, Amazon seems to be jumping the gun.
SNKP Press Releases
SNK USA haven't announced either the KOF Orochi or Samurai Shodown Anthology games officially, yet. (THAT'S AS OF THIS POSTING!)
Screenshots are on their homepage though.

I'm tempted to make a "See the game in January or later" joke, other than CFCDS seemed to come out of nowhere. And, iirc, World Heroes Perfect that the Fatal Furies came out on time too.

Maybe they've increased the bran in their diet.

Oh, yeah, $15.00 price point for PS2 version.
PSP version $30.00. (Why double the price? Far fewer materials.)

I'm not going after either version like a barbarian hoard after mainland China. (i.e. an early/quick adapter.)
SNK Collection Vol.1 made me gun shy. I'm really hoping this plays much better.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Releasing Oct. 28th. PS2 & PSP.

*shoots you with a grammar textbook*

I'd wager it's just the same Orochi collection as in Japan with a couple of extra games tossed in. Not using the same codebase from the Arcade Classics. No worries.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
*shoots you with a grammar textbook*

Releases?

It's releasing.
It's being released.
"It done be g'wone ta'h come out"?

Eh.

I've not had a shot at any of the Japanese games.
(Now, before someone jumps on me for having bought '94 ReBout from JHendrix, yes, I still own it.
Doesn't mean I've gotten a chance to play it. :( )

@Deuce (Or, for that matter, anyone qualified for this question) >
Have you had a shot to play the Japanese version Orochi collection yet? Either format?

I'm still hesitant.
They cut loading times for XI in the states by doing something with the code.
Wither it was revising, stripping-out, or adding, I couldn't say.

...well, this point is becoming moot quickly.
I can't think of an SNKP game where stuff was added vastly and gameplay went south. Except for replacing the Japanese text with English for CFCDS's first release.

I suppose I may keep such a shield up until Mister Ben "We Don't Do Customer Service Here" Herman steps down or retires--which I hear could be soon, if InsaneBen is to be believed.

/end long, tangendal rant

Deuce

It's being released.

That one. Release is a transitive verb, and thus must have an object. In your quoted sentence, "It" is both the subject of the sentence and the object of the verb, "released." For instance:

"SNK Arcade Classics was released earlier this year, and it released a foul odor into the air upon the sight of how poorly it emulated the games in the collection."

In these examples, we have the verb and the object.

Have you had a shot to play the Japanese version Orochi collection yet? Either format?
Yes, I have. It's pretty faithful. The only real annoyance to be had (and this is kind of nitpicky, if you want to get down to comparing to the NeoCD version) is that with the AST selected, some of the tunes play their "later-round trimmed-back" versions from the NeoCD release, instead of the full-ish AST track. So that's a little lazy. Might be fixed in the US release, for all I know.

/end long, tangendal rant

That's "tangential." ;)

Last edited:

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
The only real annoyance to be had (and this is kind of nitpicky, if you want to get down to comparing to the NeoCD version) is that with the AST selected, some of the tunes play their "later-round trimmed-back" versions from the NeoCD release, instead of the full-ish AST track. So that's a little lazy. Might be fixed in the US release, for all I know.
I for one hope it was fixed. On the NEOCD it wasn't that big of a deal, given that the shift to a later point in the music for the next round actually worked out ok due to the load times between each round, but if they still have that audio setup now I can't help but feel it'll seem somewhat "off", at least to me. So I guess you're not alone picking nits here and there.

Won't stop me from bending over backwards to try and find a way to fit this into my broke-ass budget, though. The other question is whether or not the domestic release will have blood/bounce intact.

:D

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Won't stop me from bending over backwards to try and find a way to fit this into my broke-ass budget, though. The other question is whether or not the domestic release will have blood/bounce intact.

:D

Good question. They seem to have the same ire for it.
Real Bout 1 against Mary at Sound Beach with Ring Out win...

I suppose I may keep such a shield up until Mister Ben "We Don't Do Customer Service Here" Herman steps down or retires--which I hear could be soon, if InsaneBen is to be believed.

For the record, it was kotaku.com that initially discovered the rumor that Ben Herman was retiring, not I.

Though I'm happy that the KOF Orochi Saga is coming out here in the States, I have to wonder how long it'll be until we receive the NESTS Saga and Samurai Shodown Collection (if ever, though they'll be getting the SS set in Europe sometime soon).

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I was at GameStop last night and they had prerelease cases for the PS2 version. I take that as a good sign it will be somewhat on time. :)

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Yes, I have. It's pretty faithful. The only real annoyance to be had (and this is kind of nitpicky, if you want to get down to comparing to the NeoCD version) is that with the AST selected, some of the tunes play their "later-round trimmed-back" versions from the NeoCD release, instead of the full-ish AST track. So that's a little lazy. Might be fixed in the US release, for all I know.

The biggest sound issues with the Japanese Orochi collection are the muffled sound effects and voices. It sounds like the KOF ports on the Saturn that used the RAM carts; it's all muffled.

If you don't import Japanese games and you don't really care about revisiting the old games for much more than a couple of play-throughs and to relive some nostalgia, I would just pass on this collection and wait for the U.S. release of KOF '98 Ultimate Match instead.

Reality Check

World Hero
I just saw the English version of this collection on sale at a place in Fordham. Had both the PS2 and PSP versions. If I had enough money I would have brought it on the spot.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
I just saw the English version of this collection on sale at a place in Fordham. Had both the PS2 and PSP versions. If I had enough money I would have brought it on the spot.

Shoot!
I went to "Pre-order" at GameStop on Sunday.
They only had the PSP version in their system.
I'd like that too, but I have to watch my cash right now.

So, I placed on Amazon.
I'm now supposed to get the game November 5th.

Joy-And-Rapture!

I'd like to thank Amazon for continuing the tradition of "Delaymoreism."

Awesome! got a copy at gamestop today, 20 bucks. Weird it doesn't say a thing about it on SNKplaymores US site. Oh and they only had one copy come in so, get there quick or wait I guess.

Deuce

Okay, here's the scoop. It is not simply a revision of the previous Japanese Orochi 95-97 collection. This collection was coded by a third party called Terminal Reality, and does include all games, 94-98, straight out of the box. No unlocking required. The games themselves appear to be primarily straight arcade ports, with no options for arranged soundtracks built in. There is a Challenge mode, however, which is decently robust, and unlocks primarily art and music pieces. Oddly, you can unlock arranged tracks as well as originals. Perhaps AST options become available when the entire AST of something is unlocked? Each challenge unlocks around 12-15 items, and you can view which rewards each challenge will give you once completed (though not their contents, obviously).

I did not think to check for the typical progressive scan code at startup, but I wouldn't bet on it. This looks like it was coded specifically for the US audience. All blood and alcohol references, at least in KOF98, are intact. There is no filtering that I noticed, though the screen is slightly stretched, with no options for adjustment. Feels all right on a Dual Shock 3, but I need to plug in my Neo Stick 2 to give it a proper workout.

Oh, and an amusing gaffe on the back cover... they show what is very obviously the carnival stage from KOF97 (it even shows the big "97" in the background" for the KOF5 picture.

Last edited:

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Nice work with the details, dude. Some good points and some bad, but for the price it still sounds like it a decent acquisition.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Great.
We've moved from, "How do you play as M.Bison and Akuma at the chemical plant in Marvel Vs. Capcom?" to, "How do you get to the carnival stage in KOF 95 using X character?"

My copy is supposed to show up on Tuesday. :(
At least I only shelled ~$15.00.
Still, would have been the same price minus gasoline if I had found it in-store.
I wouldn't have found the version I wanted though.

GameStop seems to have all scorn for PS2 budget titles.
The same store that can say with a straight face, "A lot of people have asked to pre-order that. But corporate won't let us do it because they say there won't be enough demand."

Go figure...

If only they would give percents interest on people who pre-ordered Duke Nukem Forever.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
EDIT:
Double posting?
How did I manage this?

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm psyched, I will pick both up and be happy.

Here's some fucker who posted retardedness after the link provided by kage or jage I believe.

That seems lame; these yearly updates were deemed superficial and not large enough to warrant purchases back in the day versus Street Fighter. Combining them all into a single collection just seems kinda repetitive. Where's Mark of the Wolves? Where's King of Fighters XII? SNK Versus Capcom? King of Fighters 2006/Maximum Impact 2? Where's something different and exciting? THOSE are games that should be thrown together in a collection; not a bunch of relatively unchanged titles from each other... [-] Minimize CommentThat seems lame; these yearly updates were deemed superficial and not large enough to warrant purchases back in the day versus Street Fighter. Combining them all into a single collection just seems kinda repetitive. Where's Mark of the Wolves? Where's King of Fighters XII? SNK Versus Capcom? King... [+] Full Comment
Posted by: NeoShinobi_2 on October 30, 2008 18:44 PDT

The noobness:emb:

Oh by the way, all the Orochi characters are unlocked on 97 from the start, including Iori and Leona, right under all the others, so you don't even have to the the lame press start over the character to see them, nice. That's the only awesome difference I've noticed so far in the games.

J. Max

judas,
Got this today for PSP. Really enjoying it, actually...I forgot how much I liked '97.

Anyway, the loading times are a bit annoying, but other than that, they seem like pretty good ports. For the record, I'd like to see a PSP version of Mark of The Wolves, but I just don't see it happening. The PSP only has like 20 some titles listed on the Gamestop site as "coming soon"...and most of them are crap.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
are 94 and 98 included in the game? or do you know if they are unlockables?

J. Max

judas,
are 94 and 98 included in the game? or do you know if they are unlockables?

Honestly, I wouldn't have bought it without '98. I like '95 too, '94 is kind of meh, '96 is kind of meh, and I didn't remember liking '97 as much as I do. In fact, I might like it as much as I like '98.