Looking for: CPS2 Information [Updated]

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
I have read in other threads that CPS-2 shock has downloadable manuals, but I can't find them, or they've been taken down, and I can't find anything with a web search, either. Do any of you have pdfs of any CPS2 manuals? Anything would be greatly appreciated: hardware manuals, game manuals, schematics, etc...

Edit: Found the game manuals. Quite a bit of good stuff there. Still, is there a seperate manual for the A board?

<small>[ June 24, 2003, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: RiotoftheBlood ]</small>

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
On the gamelist page at CPS2shock (see links under eack game title).

Raz

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
Razoola:

Raz
Yeah, found those, thanks... I was simply wondering if there was something like a service manual for the A board. The Manuals with the games don't get into much detail.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
RiotoftheBlood:
Razoola:

Raz
Yeah, found those, thanks... I was simply wondering if there was something like a service manual for the A board. The Manuals with the games don't get into much detail.
The game manuals tell everything you need to know about the A-board. What details are you talking about?

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
MKL:
RiotoftheBlood:
Razoola:

Raz
The game manuals tell everything you need to know about the A-board. What details are you talking about?
Well, power requirements, for one. I will be using a PC AT supply and want to make certain that it can provide enough current for each voltage, as well as be within tolerance. I had one AT supply that was working fine with a PC system, but the +12V was reading closer to +9V.

I am also uncertain if I need -5V or not. Some CPS2 JAMMA pinouts I see have it listed, and some read "NC". What's going on with that?

<small>[ June 23, 2003, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: RiotoftheBlood ]</small>

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
Reguarding the -5v, just hook it up. It will take at most 5 minutes, and will make it fully JAMMA compatible.

And a PC power supply will be fine as long as the voltages are what they should be(5, -5, 12)

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
RiotoftheBlood:
I will be using a PC AT supply and want to make certain that it can provide enough current for each voltage, as well as be within tolerance. I had one AT supply that was working fine with a PC system, but the +12V was reading closer to +9V.
PC power supplies are more powerful than arcade ones, so the current they can deliver is not a problem at all. A +9V reading on the +12V rail is definitely a problem though.

RiotoftheBlood:
I am also uncertain if I need -5V or not. Some CPS2 JAMMA pinouts I see have it listed, and some read "NC". What's going on with that?
No Capcom boards require -5V (not even the early ones from 1984-88).

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Why not just buy a normal arcade PSU? Then there are no concerns!

-Nick

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
nruva:
Why not just buy a normal arcade PSU? Then there are no concerns!

-Nick
With the case I am using, there's already a place for an AT supply, and I like to keep things neat.

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
I do have a few more concerns.

1. If I am going to be running all of my games in Free Play mode, is there really any reason to wire buttons for "Service", "1P Coin", and "2P Coin"? ALL games have free play mode accessible through the test menu, right? "Test" will be the only button I will wire other than start, joystick, and buttons 1-6 for each player, if I can get away with it.

2. Do the "volume up" and "volume down" buttons on the option (kick) connector (and the A board itself) control the level of the RCA out, the level of the mono speaker out on the JAMMA harness, or both?

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
Well, if it's going to be CPS2 only, you can probably get away with no coin button. However, if you are going to use other JAMMA games, some require coins. For my setup, I wired the coin switch because Xmen, Ninja Turtles, and Simpsons don't have freeplay, and I think the coin switch makes it more arcade like anyway.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
they control the level of the mono audio on the harness, but so do the buttons on the a board (but for some reason mine dont work)

the RCA jacks have to be connected to an amp for volume, otherwise theyre just line level.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I also have noticed that the RCA jacks on my CPS-2 don't appear to be anywhere close to standard 2volt peak to peak line level. The volume has to be turned up quite a bit more to get sound from it. I wonder if others are similiar to this?

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
One more thing. What is this "coin lockout" I see on the Option (kick) connector in the Alien vs. Predator manual? It's connected to pins 5 (+12V) and 7 ("3P Lock Out").

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
I think the lock out is for a coil on the coin mech that prevents it from functioning and auto rejects any coins. I don't know why you would want that though.

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
Reznor007:
I think the lock out is for a coil on the coin mech that prevents it from functioning and auto rejects any coins. I don't know why you would want that though.
It's not that I wanted it, but wanted to know more about it. Thanks.