NES video problem (screenshots added) HELP!

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Hey guys, I bought a cheap beater NES so I could play some Tetris/Dragon Warrior. Problem is, the video is garbled. Now before you go saying that it's the pin connectors, I had already ordered a new 72 pin connector in advance, installed it, and it doesn't fix the problem either? Could it be the PPU? Some other unforseen problem? All of the chips and solder points look good, I get music and I can tell the games are playing, but the video is badly screwed up. I can take screenshots if desired.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Pas

Camel Slug
Well if you find its a ppu just let me know...I have a spare here that I would let go of prity cheap...

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Scrub the mother board contacts that connects to the 72 pin connector with a toothbrush and some solvent like alcohol. Most of the corrosion that causes problems is from that part. The NES cleaning paste from Nintendo repair.com does do wonders on dissolving the corrosion safely.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Did you clean the games connectors?

.........via opening up the cart with a security bit and cleaning the connectors real well
Sometimes the Q tip and Alcohol doesn't cut it ...

Have you tried another game? as maybe the game is bad..I have ran into games that were SHOT,I had a Strider that=video is badly screwed up...

I mainly sell...
NES refurbished 72 pin and Replacement 72s...though the new 72 pin connectors(death grip) suck ass..

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Scrub the mother board contacts that connects to the 72 pin connector with a toothbrush and some solvent like alcohol. Most of the corrosion that causes problems is from that part. The NES cleaning paste from Nintendo repair.com does do wonders on dissolving the corrosion safely.

I usually give it a light sanding first then do this. Works like a charm.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
I wonder if fine steel wool does a good job :scratch: . Hell, I don't see why it shouldn't.

The NES repair cleaning paste is pretty amazing stuff. You can see nice shiny metal once you scrub, let it sit and then wipe it off. I can tell that isn't too strong where it can damage the metal.

My friends NES had some real bad corrosion on the PCB that did take a second rough scrubbing to get working. I wish I knew what exactly is in the stuff. One bottle will last you a good 2 years, unless you have like 500 carts or something.

I also found you are better off just scrubbing the hell out of the bad 72 pin connector and then re bending the pins with a small flat head. Saves you from the death grip of a new one, yet you can still play games without pushing the cart down even.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Alright, here's the pics:

Tetris:

Title screen:
P1020075.jpg

In game:
P1020069.jpg

P1020070.jpg

P1020071.jpg

Dragon Warrior:

Title screen:
P1020072.jpg

In game:
P1020073.jpg

P1020074.jpg

Graphics are really fucked... but the music is fine, and I can tell that the game is playing normally, as I could see some of the text comes through clearly and the games are responding perfectly to button commands.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Really? I've cleaned the contacts on the games like crazy, doesn't work.

Also, I took the new 72 pin back off and cleaned the mobo contacts with an eraser + rubbing alcohol, made no difference. Also took Tetris apart and did the same with it's contacts, also made no difference. There must be a problem with a component on the board... RAM perhaps? It seems that when I start playing, some of the sprites show up as normal (as seen on the DW screenshots) but 75%+ of the screen stays garbled.

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
There are a couple of small SRAM chips on the board. Replace the one connected to the PPU.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
There are a couple of small SRAM chips on the board. Replace the one connected to the PPU.

I'm sorry, I'm not 100% sure which one you're talking about, is it one of the Toshiba 40H368's at the top? Or the Sony one at the bottom that's labeled SRAM(VRAM)?

P1020084.jpg

Thanks in advance!

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
i have a nes and the only time i ever get that sorta corruption is just from the cart slot being a bastard (not quite connecting or loose), or the lock out chip playing up - look up how to disable the nes lock out chip on the internet - its very simple - u just cut one pin of one of the chips if i remember correctly, this solved most of the issues i was having getting games to boot/run correctly :)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I have a bunch of NES decks..

A whole stack in storage missing the door..

I could go grab one in storage and test it out per the board working...you'd have to use your 72 pin and lid...(i'm not going to include the lid just the lower half with worn 72 pin..

Ship from NJ to CA should be about 10 bucks via flat rate priority mail

What are you looking to spend..?

Make me an offer..

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Here's the doorless decks I have in storage
CLEARUG004.jpg

I hate them,I can't sell them..

I haven't went over there yet to get anything as I have a bunch of decks here...

Just a few I pulled out of the closet

NEWATARI2600LISTINGS017.jpg

I don't have any NES systems listed on ebay right now because I dont have any plugs to sell with them..:confused:

I'll send you a working bottom and I might send another............. untested pcb part incase you want to mess around with it

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Here;s the deck ...and an untested PCB

I cleaned the pins,didn't bend them up though..
Works great

Before and after game cleaning picture too.

Slideshow...CLICK...

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Package shipped this morning..

Label/Receipt Number:

Your item was accepted at 9:15 AM on October 6, 2008 in NJ . Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
I don't pay much for them...

$8 each for just the board is what I normally pay. I don't need the plastic or the slot connectors. Just the mainboard.

RJ

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Hmmm..
$8 is perfect...

How many would you want to buy at a clip..?

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I'd be interested in one for $8 too depending on shipping costs to Australia.

Only have PAL units here. :(

Valsimot

n00b
Uh-oh... I seem to have diverted this thread off topic. Sorry Ki_atsushi.

If you're going to take any apart, I could use a new RF box, mine's rusted =[