I CAN'T PLAY KOF2K1!!!!!!!!!

ray_7

I put my KOF2k1 cart in the machine, turn it on, and I got this screen saying ROM CHECK SUM, WHAT HAPPENNED???????

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: ray_7 ]</p>

If there are any 0000 in the checksums, you're screwed. In all likelyhood that shouldn't be the case. New carts sometimes have fibreglass strands at the edge of the connectors, they come from the buffing process and are highly non-conductive. Use your finger to pull off any strands and then clean the contacts with a cuetip/cotton bud and alcohol.

ray_7

Originally posted by Clear Paper:
<strong>If there are any 0000 in the checksums, you're screwed. In all likelyhood that shouldn't be the case. New carts sometimes have fibreglass strands at the edge of the connectors, they come from the buffing process and are highly non-conductive. Use your finger to pull off any strands and then clean the contacts with a cuetip/cotton bud and alcohol.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Tnaks it worked!

But everytime I have to press the reset button for the game to start?

BTW, what kind of alcohol should I use?? (give me an example, coz I never used it to clean something)

ray_7

New problem....

In the middle of the game some numbers appear on screen, the one with the option, track, run, save recover, etc.?

Do I have to clean the gold connector first?

Galford Forever

Krizalids Fashion Designer
Wow Ray! That sux big time. You've been waiting for this game for what seems like forever. Sorry I can't help you, but you have my condolences.

K

Kyo 2000

I had this EXACT problem with my first copy of KOF 2000. I threw a big fit with the seller and all before I figured out the problem. First, clean new carts well, make sure you can't see anything covering the traces. I generally use a qtip and plain rubbing alcohol. If you already inserted the new cart prior to that, clean the contacts on your Neo's slots. Should fix you right up.

ray_7

Originally posted by Kyo 2000:
<strong>I had this EXACT problem with my first copy of KOF 2000. I threw a big fit with the seller and all before I figured out the problem. First, clean new carts well, make sure you can't see anything covering the traces. I generally use a qtip and plain rubbing alcohol. If you already inserted the new cart prior to that, clean the contacts on your Neo's slots. Should fix you right up.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You mean clean the golden connector with alcohol?

I just rub it with cotton bud and it works, do I have to clean it with alcohol? Will it damage the gold connector?

Tora Kouhi

Rugal's Secretary
Originally posted by ray_7:
<strong>

You mean clean the golden connector with alcohol?

I just rub it with cotton bud and it works, do I have to clean it with alcohol? Will it damage the gold connector?</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's just jibba jabba. My AES system is old and I use alcohol to clean my old games all the time. Sometimes I'll blow on them just like everyone does with their NES carts nowadays.

ray_7

Originally posted by Tora Kouhi:
<strong>

That's just jibba jabba. My AES system is old and I use alcohol to clean my old games all the time. Sometimes I'll blow on them just like everyone does with their NES carts nowadays.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do u use the alcohol on the gold connector??

ckchan

Shlong King,
20 Year Member
the rom check sum screen may be caused by using the convertor.

Arakon

Robert Garcia's Butler
you might want to work on your english before you ridicule yourself more, frenchy.

ray_7

<strong>

Do u use the alcohol to clean the gold connector??

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: ray_7 ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Can someone answer that question for J's sake???

K

Kyo 2000

Alright, fully explain your situation, just in case. I was assuming that you're trying to play a new KOF2k1 home cartridge. Correct me, if I'm wrong. Yes, I used regular rubbing alcohol on my games, regular isopropyl alcohol.

ray_7

The game worked already, I just use cotton bud to take away those small strands.

My question is which part of the connector do you clean with the alcohol, is it those gold lines?

FrAgGLe

n00b
Originally posted by Arakon:
<strong>you might want to work on your english before you ridicule yourself more, frenchy.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Hmmm, looks like you're a fucking racist, i'm french and so what??? do you have a problem with me either??? Why do you step into this thread only to point out that his english is bad??? My best friend who is German just fell off his chair when he read your statement... my conclusion is that you're a fuck-face...

See Ya

L

less than joseph

Originally posted by FrAgGLe:
<strong>
Hmmm, looks like you're a fucking racist, i'm french and so what??? do you have a problem with me either??? Why do you step into this thread only to point out that his english is bad??? My best friend who is German just fell off his chair when he read your statement... my conclusion is that you're a fuck-face...

See Ya</strong><hr></blockquote>

French people are a race now? Whoah.
-joseph

doughboy

Lurker.
<strong>The game worked already, I just use cotton bud to take away those small strands.

My question is which part of the connector do you clean with the alcohol, is it those gold lines?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, those gold lines are what you should clean..

K

Kyo 2000

Glad it worked out for you, ray_7. Basically what I always did, whenever I first got a cartridge, was to clean the contacts on the cartridge as you're saying, with a cotton swab that is damp with alcohol. I would just swab both sides of the connector a couple of times. This MIGHT not be technically the way to go, but it's what I've always done, and I haven't had any failures.

doughboy

Lurker.
Originally posted by FrAgGLe:
<strong>

See Ya</strong><hr></blockquote>

Frenchy isn't a racist remark.

The English made no sense at all...

Bizarre how some of this post turned out. Anyway, the 'golden lines' you are referring to are just what you need to clean. Use electrical contact cleaner, usually comes in a aerosol spray can, or as Kyo 2000 said, isopropyl alcohol, usually comes in a squeeze bottle and can be found in most pharmacies as antiseptic.

Lightly soak the cotton bud and brush across the contacts. You'll see a lot of black oxide on the cotton bud, especially with your older carts, making them easier to insert. (lol, sounds dodgy) Let the alcohol content vaporise off before running the game.

Personally, I use a contact cleaner that coats the contacts with a conductive and lubricanting residue. I reckon it helps prevent further oxidation. I do not recommend blowing on the contacts though, as breath tends to have a lot of moisture. Not only that, my carts might smell a bit manky. :)

Another note, is your system debug modded? I've only come across that error with debugged machines where I switch on too many dips.

If you have further problems, just post and I've got some more solutions, albeit with more hassle involved.