rgb to vga encoder anyone else use it?

thinking of picking up an rgb to vga encoder for my mvs i am just toying with the idea for now..

does the vga look better than the component on a 32" lcd tv?? i am currently using s-video its ok to some extent but i honestly think it looks like shit..:lol:

anyone else run a vga setup on their mvs to feed their lcd or plasma set?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You'll need an XRGB or similar to convert RGB to VGA.

VGA and component dont really have all that much of a difference in picture quality. There is a difference but its not mind blowing like RGB is to s-video or Composite.

VGA us 31khz, RGB is 15khz. This why you'll need a converter and no cheap converter either.

LCD/PLASMA displays are probably the worst things to use an MVS with. Go for a CRT with component and use a Jrok or Neobitz. It's much cheaper than buying an XRGB for example and will look just as good.

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
I would have to agree with lachlan on this one. Stick with a jrok or neobitz with a nice size CRT and component, it's a cheaper route to work with and the image quality is right on par, you won't be disappointed.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I used to have a cga to vga converter, I used it in my sega naomi universal with neo geo and mk2 and other jamma boards. It looked great on the big 27" (or are they 25?) monitor in there. It worked well on a 17" lcd too. I prefered it to svideo which I have been using since i sold the cab.

I don't know where it was made or anything as it had no markings.

It looked just like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arcade-RGB-CGA-...4277947QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

But cost alot less.

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
isn't there something to where you cannot run vga on neo geo mvs? If i remember right it was something to do with the vertical lines, or the v hold.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
isn't there something to where you cannot run vga on neo geo mvs? If i remember right it was something to do with the vertical lines, or the v hold.

Probably why you never see it on modded AES and MVS systems. That and its far easier to just put a jrok or similar in.

andy251203

Hardened Shock Trooper
Not to threadjack, but I have one of these for sale. PM me if interested.

Strider77

Zero's Secretary
Probably why you never see it on modded AES and MVS systems. That and its far easier to just put a jrok or similar in.

I am able to use my MVS via VGA through an XRGB.... it's the way I play it all the time and works fine that way.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I am able to use my MVS via VGA through an XRGB.... it's the way I play it all the time and works fine that way.

Did you read my post? Can you fit an XRGB into an MVS or AES? no. That and the price difference between an XRGB and a Jrok is reasonably big, VGA compared to Component is not.

Last edited:

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
<warning: technical>

If you want the best possible quality, you can't upscan an analog signal, that will certainly look worse than analog-transcoded component. Since the Neo Geo exposes it's discrete video DAC, the best possible way to upscan would be to replace the pixel output registers with a digital scan doubler (on a CPLD and a small dual port RAM--they can easily fit inside a console).

A scan doubler works by buffering two lines of video, then outputting pixels at 2x rate, the output pixel stream must output line 1 twice, then line 2 twice, and must be synced to the input stream so that the output is exactly one line behind the input.

This will deliver the necessary 31 KHz horizontal rate for VGA monitors and will increase clarity on CRTs by filling in the blank scanlines. Since the video does not have to be digitized and scaled, there is literally no lag, no quantization errors and no interpolation artifacts/blur that the XRGB (any analog upscanner) will have. Since the output clock is also synced to the input, the exact pixel aspect ratio (rectangular pixels for most game consoles) will still be intact too, the XRGB can't achieve this 100% even with very powerful oversampling much less the cheaper upscanners.