Consolized 6 slot, whats the big deal

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Someone requested I consolized a 6 slot for them which I have read on the forum to be a technical problem because the all purpose sc200 power supply is noted to not be able to feed the mobo.

I thought about it for a second and realized why not just use a dc to dc converter so I could save time/money by using a brick I had lying around. Naturing more current is being pulled on the 5 volt bus, around 8 amp with all carts inserted and the current being pulled on the 12 volt bus is only slightly more than a amp. It would be easier to just use a big 5 volt supply and step it up than a big 12 and step it down because of availability so I used a 15 amp brick and 12 volt, 2 amp converter. Applied components, including homemade jrok and tested by leaving board running for 3 hours straight and all is well.

Guy who bought system did metal work himself however since I have no metal fabrication skills. When all was done it came out well, so it is possible to Consolized a 6 slot without using a big ugly pc power supply.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
No pictures of the completed work? You are such a tease.

Just like your sig (which I think is great BTW)

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
He was just suppose to come by and pick the thing up but ending up requesting the consolized on the spot offering me enough money to make it worth my time.

Did the whole thing in under 5 hours with the guy looking over my shoulder, around the time it was finished it was late and I did not really fell like taking pics as I just needed to be somewhere else and politely hinted this to my quest. Besides it was finished only electrically not cosmetically as he has to do the metal work himself.

LOL, my avatar was primarily intended to make me stand out:lolz:

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
LOL, my avatar was primarily intended to make me stand out:lolz:

I know, and it does the trick...very nicely I might add.

That sucks that you didn't get any pics, but your write up was pretty good so I won't complain anymore :D. I've only done 1 slots just because of the size issue.

Under 5 hours is really good. I'm a slack ass so projects like this take me several days usually. 5 minutes here, an hour there, daddy I got to go to the mall, can you take me to Brian's house, etc, etc...you know how that goes.