MVS Credit LED in Mame / Neo Rage ?

astar617

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Would a LED Wiz be able to drive a MVS Credit LED in MAME or Neo Rage?

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=82&products_id=306

I would think it was possible. Is there a better way to do this?

Thank you for any help.
After scanning thru the description and the documentation, I would say no. LEDs (light emitting diodes) are not the same as segmented LCDs (liquid crystal displays) like the MVS part, and thus the required controllers would not be the same.

The misleading "MV-LED" part number doesn't help the confusion.

Last edited:

jtslade

Kuroko's Training Dummy
After scanning thru the description and the documentation, I would say no. LEDs (light emitting diodes) are not the same as segmented LCDs (liquid crystal displays) like the MVS part, and thus the required controllers would not be the same.

The misleading "MV-LED" part number doesn't help the confusion.

So does the MV-LED have a segmented LCD driver built into it. What kind of electrica signal needs to be passed to it to output numbers to it.

For example what MVS hardware outputs to the MV-LED / What does it plug into / Has someone checked to see what kind of signal is passed to it.

Thank you for the information.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
The credit display boards most likely simply have a couple of 7 segment decoder/drivers on them.

These work by the desired number being sent in the form of binary to four control lines on each decoder/driver. Eg A=+5v B=+5v C=GND D=GND outputs the number 3 to the 7 segment LED display.

jtslade

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Credit LED matching color

http://www.lc-led.com/Catalog/department/36/category/50/10

What color display is the MVS credit LED ???

Which one matches the original

Red
red2Digit.jpg

Yellow / Amber
amber2Digit.jpg

I got a response from the nice folks over at LED wiz about some other options.

"Hi Damon,

That's a fairly complex device. It would be easier to use a common
anode 2-digit display and drive it directly with the LED-Wiz and a piece
of additional code using the MAME output routines to signal changes.

Randy"

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
The original is red. It also uses leading zero suppression from memory.

jtslade

Kuroko's Training Dummy
MV-LED to USB connector

Since USB has power output. I would imagine the construction of a MV-LED to USB cable would be possible.

neogeoaccess004.jpg

Then a plugin for MAME for either all games, or NEO Geo titles.

sounds simple but may be pretty tough. If only Tony Stark worked on MVS stuff.

jtslade

Kuroko's Training Dummy
MVS-LED to USB converter driver

The credit display boards most likely simply have a couple of 7 segment decoder/drivers on them.

These work by the desired number being sent in the form of binary to four control lines on each decoder/driver. Eg A=+5v B=+5v C=GND D=GND outputs the number 3 to the 7 segment LED display.

Do you have any detailed tech information on the MVS credit LCD displays. I have a friend that is interested in possible writing a USB driver for these.

I am also talking to the MAME driver guy who writes the LED output codes for the various slot machine/video poker games in mame.

I want to build a MV-LED Credit to USB converter cable for this as well.

neogeoaccess004.jpg

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Do you have any detailed tech information on the MVS credit LCD displays. I have a friend that is interested in possible writing a USB driver for these.

I am also talking to the MAME driver guy who writes the LED output codes for the various slot machine/video poker games in mame.

I want to build a MV-LED Credit to USB converter cable for this as well.

neogeoaccess004.jpg
They are LED displays, not LCD.

All the detailed information you want should be available from the datasheets for the chips used on the board.

jtslade

Kuroko's Training Dummy
possible MVS-LED solution need more info!

I have found a chap who is working on a complete line of software for taking the
Mame interop outputs and puting them to use on LED's, blinky's, etc etc.

http://dragonking.arcadecontrols.com/static.php?page=aboutmamehooker

This may be a good 1st step in having an actual working credit LED in a Neo Geo Mame cab.

I am serious when I say I want to make this a reality, so anyone else out there that has or is building a Neo Geo Mame cab let me know how cool this would be.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just insulting. Credit LEDs? That's the actual hardware you are using, not the mobo?

jtslade

Kuroko's Training Dummy
sorry you feel that way

I am restoring a Neo Geo MVS cab that someone else turned into a lame Special ops light gun game. It will be authentic, no extra holes drilled.

I went with a Mame cab so that it can play games that the wife would get into (tetris, mrs. pacman, etc)

It will be completely authentic. I am even working on the wiring so that it will be jamma compatible. so that in the future I could have the option of dropping a real MVS multi slot board in it.

This is not a chop up a complete MVS cab, its a restore to look exactly like it did.

Sorry you feel that its a shame.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187299

jtslade

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Ultimarc U-HID drives MV-LED possibility

Does anyone have experience with the Ultimarc U-HID

http://www.u-hid.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

It uses the generic HID interface to drive multiple devices. It can output 5v.

With some programing it may be possible to take the

Mame hooker which interfaces with the new Mame output signals added by Aaron G.

And drive a MV-LED credit 7 segment LED or compatible 7seg led to emulate a real MVS credit display.

http://dragonking.arcadecontrols.com/static.php?page=aboutmamehooker

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Oh my what a waste of fucking time. Jesus christ man, a fucking credit LED?

driph

Overtop Pathfinder
15 Year Member
Wow, some hostility.

I don't have any experience using the combination as you've described, but I just wanted to say it's a worthwhile goal... too much of the Neo-Geo hardware remains voodoo, the more tinkering that is done, the better.

arfink

Crossed Swords Squire
Oh my what a waste of fucking time. Jesus christ man, a fucking credit LED?

What language! :lol:

Anyway, I think the credit LED is a cool idea, and I have often thought about putting a credit LED into my desktop joystick controller that I use alternately with my PC and my Neo Geo. But, I think it would probably be easier to build a new design from the ground up, since first of all the SNK credit displays are becoming hard to find, and secondly it would be far better documented and would provide a better opportunity to get drivers made for it.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Text can be so deceiving.

Sounds like a hell of a lot of work to get the credit LED working from a PC emulator to the actual hardware. Is it worth it?

You'd probably be better off starting your own MVS collection and building a JAMMA cab for it. It would be less time consuming and a lot more original.

If you get it to work though, props to you. I know I wouldn't be able to figure that out.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It would probably be easiest to set it up as the coin button increasing the count by 1 and the start decreasing the count by 1.

jtslade

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Yes I agree

It would probably be easiest to set it up as the coin button increasing the count by 1 and the start decreasing the count by 1.

Yes I think just using a serial output driving two separate 2 digit & segment LED displays that +1 on keyboard hit (5) for example then -1 for key hit (1) and reset to zero on the escape key hit.

I have a friend that is helping with that side of it. But does anyone know when playing a fighting game for the MVS Neo Geo, if you win and the match ends do you then still get one credit subtracted from the display and have to start the next match. Do both players insert quarters after each match.

Maybe I just need to go over to my friends house and (research) play a couple of hours of SSV on the real thing.

Just as the MV-LED's are getting more difficult to find as another poster had mentioned someday the arcade boards will get more difficult to find. Granted this is a ways off but I hope for someday my grand kids to be playing all of the classics and experience it the same way.

Is it f'n stupid to want it to be authentic. Maybe but I also want the TV display to look perfect, the sound to be crisp and in stereo, the joysticks to be solid and the buttons to be top quality. The front end to be cool and seamless.

All of this attention to detail is kind of what restoring games is all about right.

I could be wrong and have too much time on my hands, so .....

Last edited:

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I have a friend that is helping with that side of it. But does anyone know when playing a fighting game for the MVS Neo Geo, if you win and the match ends do you then still get one credit subtracted from the display and have to start the next match. Do both players insert quarters after each match.
No. You continue playing with the one credit until you have lost a fight.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One

This is the best way to go without a killer headache. Of course, you'll need to make a driver for the board itself so that the PC knows what to do with it period.. and from there just make a small VB code that does what Xian says. Hard part is gonna be making it work with the PC, the U-HID won't work for it.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Arduino's a bit overkill for driving some 7segs but a uc is the right idea here IMO.