Boot? Captain Tomaday

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
I purchased this Captain Tomaday MVS cart in a fake & ugly case on Ebay.
Before I paid the seller, I asked him whether the cart is a bootleg illegal copy or not in which he replied:

"Hi-
Yes, this is an original MVS cartridge exactly as shown in the picture. Please keep in mind that this is the arcade cartride, and can only be played on modified neo geo home systems and arcade machines.
Thanks, xxx'

Having received the cart, I opened it up and here we go:

P1070162.jpg

P1070163.jpg

P1070164.jpg

The chip is made in Singapore....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320294952559&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=011

Thanks for your input in advance

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Definitely, no MVS cart is made up of all windowed EEPROMS.

There's a few out there that have some EEPROMS (repairs, such as Samurai Shodown III and Garou), but they will still have quite a few original chips too.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Everything in that cart IS original....except the eproms.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Captain Tomaday should use protected boards. It, along with Ganryu were two of the cheaper games with the security chip. They were mostly poached by people like ARCADE to make converters for home users. I would imagine there are a lot of Captain Tomaday and Ganryu PROMS out there somewhere in Arcade's workshop. Too bad they're encrypted and of no use to anyone. Sad state of affairs of the MVS market.

Shogeki

n00b
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Captain Tomaday should use protected boards. It, along with Ganryu were two of the cheaper games with the security chip. They were mostly poached by people like ARCADE to make converters for home users. I would imagine there are a lot of Captain Tomaday and Ganryu PROMS out there somewhere in Arcade's workshop. Too bad they're encrypted and of no use to anyone. Sad state of affairs of the MVS market.

Captain tomaday isn't encrypted (unlike ganryu), it's weird actually cause both games were realeased the same year.
I guess that since Captain Tomaday (248) came out before Kof99 (251) and Ganryu (252), The chafio boards used for encryption weren't ready yet. (same for bust a move again)
It's really common to see homemade bootlegs only made with eeproms for those late released small games (flipshot/captain tomaday/bust a move again ect..)