System reboots when Uni Bios is set to USA Arcade mode.

Hipstir

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Basically, when I set the Uni bios to USA Arcade mode and try to play my Real Bout 2. My system resets right after the Drugs Are Bad warning. This does not happen with any other setting/mode.

Japan/Arcade&Console = work
Europe/Arcade&Console = work
USA/Console = work

USA/Arcade does not work.

My original bios was SP1U Ver2, which I am assuming was the European version.

Has anyone else seen this issue with games that have GIGA Power?

<small>[ June 18, 2003, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Hipstir ]</small>

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
What version of the UNIVERSE BIOS are you using and what type of MVS hardware do you have?

Raz

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
are you enabling any cheats or debug dips?

Raz

Hipstir

Kuroko's Training Dummy
No. I use the default settings through Uni-bios and dip settings and I haven't changed the hard or soft dips. I haven't enabled any cheats either. This is how I am able to reproduce the issue. Fresh power cycle select USA Arcade and then use the select button to switch through games. The game is located in the 4th slot. Games 1 through 3 all work fine. They all show Don't Use Drugs Ad. When it gets to the 4th game it does a softreset displays NeoGeo GiGa Power. Shows the Drug Ad then immediately does a hard reset.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
ok, I think I can see the problem. This game looks to not set a register it should when displaying the winners dont use drugs screen.

Can you just confirm this for me by disabling the ingame menu in the universe bios settings and see if that fixes the problem.

Raz

Hipstir

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Sure... However, I won't be able to try it until I leave work. Probably around 7..ish I will be able to try it.

Rick

Crazed Addict,
The Exact same thing happens for me. I thought I had to adjust the psu voltage. I just disabled the in game menu and now RB2 works fine

Hipstir

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Razoola, you were correct. After disabling In Game Menu. It no longer resets after the Drug warning. I should note that this does not happen if you disable "game switching" unless a credit is added.

Will you update the uni-bios (bug fixes) once you have finished collecting all the info for the crc database?

<small>[ June 19, 2003, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Hipstir ]</small>

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I though so. I have looked at a few other games and kof98,neocup and breakers revenge all suffer the same problem. There will be a fix in version 1.2 for these all going well.

Disabling input switching does not have the same effect as disabling the ingame menu.

It's also worth noting this bug only affects MULTISLOT hardware and not SINGLE slot hardware. The cause is actually bad game coding.

Raz

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Razoola:
I though so. I have looked at a few other games and kof98,neocup and breakers revenge all suffer the same problem. There will be a fix in version 1.2 for these all going well.

Disabling input switching does not have the same effect as disabling the ingame menu.

It's also worth noting this bug only affects MULTISLOT hardware and not SINGLE slot hardware. The cause is actually bad game coding.

Raz
Now if only you could fix the games that are prone to Z80 errors... maybe a flush of the Z80 after a complete cycle of games!? That would fix Metal Slug and Prehistoric Isle 2 (to name a few) that tend to bomb out the sound with certain games in a multislot!

-Nick

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I am not sure if those z80 errors can be fixed but I am hoping to add an option to continue running the system after a HW fail error. So after a z80 error / ram error etc youll beable to allow the MVS to carry on running. Of course its questionable how far it will actually get but at least in the case of a z80 error a game should be fully playable minus sound.

Raz