MVS Cab Speaker Upgrade?

astar617

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Anyone here have any experience with doing wholly unnecessary upgrades to your cab's onboard audio?

Was looking at the marquee panel of my 4-25 rev3 and i can picture it with a kickass pair of Infinity or Eclipse 3-ways... maybe build a small up-firing ported enclosure in the cab base for a hidden 8in. JL Audio 8W1v2 sub...

OR... build a replacement rear access panel and just mount a 10in. sub and small amp directly on it, firing backwards, and using the whole cab as the enclosure... :D

It's nice to have a fixer-upper that gets the creative juices flowing...

jekbrown

New Challenger
bump, I don't really need a sub, but am interested to hear what people are using for replacement speakers. My MVS cab used to be a Sega cab of some kind (conversion done before I bought it). It has some Jamma conversion stuff on there and probably is using mono sound (though it has 2 speakers!). Anyway, a speaker upgrade to true stereo taken off the board would be sweet...

so... what's a good MVS cab replacement speaker?

driph

Overtop Pathfinder
15 Year Member
Good question, I've been eyeing the speakers in my MVS-2-13 as well. Would like to eventually upgrade them and throw in a larger monitor (unfortunately, the cab is just too small for a 19in).

Sounds people not too many folks have changed up the sound at all... might be time to experiment.

jekbrown

New Challenger
here's a link to a guy who used a PC 2.1 sound system + some car audio speakers...

http://www.retroblast.com/20040430137/Articles/Wiring-Up-Arcade-Cabinet-Speakers.php

The speakers in my cab always sound muffled, because they are mounted behind a thick piece of MDF with just some narrow slots for the sound to "escape" out of. I'd like to surface-mount something that has a decent looking grille on it. That's prolly why the guy used car audio speakers, they come ready to roll with good looking grills on them. Of course, the problem with car audio stuff is that they generally aren't shielded to protect monitors.

A 2.1 system from a PC would be pretty sweet though. Easy to wire up, shielded speakers, a sub, and they have their own build-in amp...

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
To be honest I wouldn't recommend putting a sub in a cab. I'm sure itd sound great but all that vibration wouldn't be good for your PCB.

jekbrown

New Challenger
probably not, I can just see myself getting to the last boss on Blazing Star using just 1 life.....and then the vibration causing minute movement in the cart/slot connection and fawking the entire game up. lol! ;) Of course, the sub could sit right next to the cab if you wanted to install it that way...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
How does this sound????

Replace the Mini Marquees with Digital Picture Frames of the same size.

jekbrown

New Challenger
sounds like a response to a different thread to me. ;) I agree that a digipic frame would be cool for that though. :)