Rage of the Dragons MVS cart no worky on MV1?

kazuo

New Challenger
Hey all,

Bought a RotD MVS kit from a user here on the forums not long ago. The kit is in mint condition, as well as the cart, which looks like it has hardly been used. Matching serials etc etc.

Anyway, I tried the game out recently on my MV1 pcb, and the game either refuses to boot (I get a green screen with a bunch of garbled stuff), it goes to the crosshatch or it will actually boot the game, but as soon as you hit start and the "how to play" screen appears, the graphics will get garbled up again and it'll freeze.

What's the deal here?

One user told me that some of the older MVS boards have issues playing the SNK Playmore carts due to the new encryption used... any truth to this? Tried cleaning the MV1 pcb and the cart, no success. All ten of my other MVS carts play fine and (usually) boot on the first try.

Any help/insight is appreciated. Thanks!

DewmanSNK

Formerly NeoGeeO, , Collaborator
10 Year Member
Well I know the copy of ROTD I played on an MV1C played just fine.

In fact all the games I have tried have played quite well on this same MV1C.
The MV1C was a brand new one still in box, and it has played everything just fine.

My 2 slot MV2F - Will play everything except KoF2k3, inc the same ROTD I mentioned earlier

From the trolling I have done - ROTD seems to be one of the pickier games, in regards to booting/playing on certain systems. Last I recall this was due to the newer encryption schemes. I think I saw somewhere to turn off the flash in the soft dip menu to help with compatibility.

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I believe if you search the posts that some of the newer carts like ROTD don't work on some of the older single slot boards. I also remember that there was some fix for this also.

Sorry if that seems vague.

kazuo

New Challenger
I have a factory USA BIOS.

Did some searching (and after searching for "rage of the dragons unibios" as suggested in one of the threads I found regarding the issue) and I discovered that the issue seems to be with some resistors/jumpers in the cartridge itself. This prevents the cartridge from functioning properly in certain single-slot boards.

Fix per neo_frank, based on a repair done by SNK Playmore USA to a RotD MVS cart: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=123896&postcount=109

Alternate fix from Norton: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=975760&postcount=13

Basically you have to remove a few resistors and/or bridge a jumper/move a resistor (depending on which fix you try).

I will try the fix and report back this weekend. Thanks everyone!