Introduction...

astar617

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Hey all...

I'm the proud new owner of an MVS :buttrock: So I'll probably be hangin' around here for a while.

Thanks to a Craigslist end-of-month moving sale, I just acquired an original dedicated 4-25 Rev 3 cabinet. It's seen *much* better days but gets the job done for now and with some TLC over time will be a great cab. The joysticks function but could use some tuning, and a button on each side is nonfunctional (uninstalled replacements were included). No coin mechs or coin door lock, but the bucket's there. And I got a couple $$ knocked off because when the seller (mike26 on these forums) was moving it the day before the sale, he dropped it and the tempered glass in front of the CRT shattered (fairly inconsequential loss and easy fix if you ask me). The cab itself is otherwise largely intact, solid construction with black sides that are only lightly scratched and begging for a custom art applique... all 4 slots and both speakers/headphone jacks (and theoretically the card reader) work, and 3 of 4 marquees light up (I plan to replace all 4 EL panel elements myself since the other 3 are dimming and original MV-EL replacments are hard to find). After some careful tuning the "focus" pot on the CRT flyback with a plastic knife, the image is decently sharp, with only a minor distortion on the top 1/4-1/2 inch of the image, very legible/playable.

All in all, I'm finally living what woulda been a distant dream for any of us back at age 12. :) I consider it a steal at the price I got it for, but needless to say, I'll be tinkering with it and haunting neo-geo.com and other places like HardMVS for many weekends to come.

Generally speaking, I see myself as a nostalgic broke gamer, not a museum curator. For that reason, all I'll be looking for is inexpensive carts with marquees, no kits necessary. So keep me in mind when ridding yourself of the scraps and loose ends of your collections :cool:

Oh, and it's currently next to the fridge in my pizza parlor--I mean, kitchen--while its permanent home is readied. My fiancee proved her coolness with not only allowing that one to happen, but suggesting it :)

Thx,

-A

P.S. I literally laughed out loud when I saw weak-sauce 90s rapper Mase as an avatar option...

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Welcome to the madness!

If you need your Neo's board repaired, give me a shout in the Tech Support area.

RJ

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
Welcome to the land of nostalgia, o.c.d. and broke bank accounts! Nice to see a newer member with a great attitude and some knowledge about the neo. It has been hell lately with newer members dumping threads with bullshit easy-accessible questions and bitching about not being able to sell shit the same day they join. Your post was a refreshment to the usual bs, so thanks in advance. The folks on this forum are your best bet for honest info and community respect, majority will tell you of scams and shit deals/boots. The information on this site alone blows my mind sometimes. I suppose I'll stop riding the dick of these forums and let you check it out yourself. The tech center and arcade forums are definitely right up your alley man. Take some pics when you can of your cab and various games when you get a chance, and I'll be that guy and "welcome you to teh drama!"

astar617

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Thanks. I wouldn't overestimate my knowledge tho... I'm a computer engineer by day with a methodical approach to troubleshooting(definitely helped with the monitor tuning), and have done a lil bit of lurking before I got the cab. Other than that, mostly dumb luck and enthusiasm for my new toy. Trust me, it'll be a loooong time before I'm answering more than I'm asking here.

Pics will be coming shortly once I get them hosted somewhere.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Welcome to the boards. Since you're from Cambridge, MA I would highly encourage you to stay away from Automation Services in Milford, CT for parts or games. They are overpriced and they don't keep anything in good condition over there. Lizardlick's and Happ are they way to go in case you want to replace certain things on the machine.