Need help with my MVS

SamuraiShogun

Morden's Lack,
OK.I bought a cab of the sit-down type from Japan,from arcadestuff in LA.It didn't come with a motherboard.So I bought one from MDgames.Now when I put it in the only connection I see is the 56-pin harness.I hooked it up and all I get is the onscreen grid,like its trying to work,but it's not hooked up properly.It's a 4-slot.Are there any more connections I need to do?Any help from you MVS experts would be much appreciated.

SamuraiShogun

Morden's Lack,
Here is a link to the exact cab in bought:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1081545144" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1081545144</a>

gargoyle7

20 Year Member
SS, you may have the jamma harness on the board upside down, if not that make sure its all the way on

Also, make sure the DIP switches on the 4 slot (small white levers in a small square casing on the lower board) are all in the 'up' position

Lee (garg7)
<a href="http://www.neogeotemple.com" target="_blank">http://www.neogeotemple.com</a>

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The on sreen grid is the cross hatch which appears when there are no carts inserted, how many carts have you slotted in and are the contacts clean ?
If you had the connector around the wrong way you would not get the x-hatch, you would probably get smoke.

[ March 12, 2002: Message edited by: ttooddddyy ]</p>

SamuraiShogun

Morden's Lack,
I checked everything you guys said,and it still has nothing but grid.Only one cart is in at a time.Mike Druss at MDgames said to make sure power supply is 5 volt.How do I do this?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Make sure the cart contacts and the board cart connector are squeeky clean, both of my cabs had the same problem when I first got them, carefull cleaning of cart tracks and pcb socket fixed it.
Have a look at Briggs site for some good tips on cleaning.
<a href="http://www.hardmvs.com/" target="_blank">http://www.hardmvs.com/</a>
The MVS is designed to display the cross hatch when no carts are detected, dirty contacts can do it too. If you have more carts fill the slots and see what happens. Or if you have one cart try it in each slot. London to a brick, thats all it is.
HardMVS has the jamma pin out, you can see where to measure the 5 volts there, I doubt thats the problem

[ March 13, 2002: Message edited by: ttooddddyy ]</p>

prosper1ne

King's Dry,
ive got the exact same setup as you and i ordered it from the same people. there should be 4 loose cables total in your mvs cab. make sure that all 4 cables are connected to the mvs board. the first of the four cables is the jamma harness cable. then there are 2 cables that look identical to each other. the mvs board should have 4 clips that snap closed and hold the 2 firmly in place. and last but not least there is one small cable that connects near the front. make sure all four cables are properly connected to you mvs board and then try again i hope this helps you

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Do what Prosper1ine said. There should be four total connections to your four slot. You probably have the main (Jamma) harness hooked up now, the other A and B connectors are for your memory cards (I believe) and the smaller one in the front is for the headphones (I think). I don't think leaving these unhooked would affect the cab's performance (other than memory cards/headphones not working) but you never know.

The only time I ever got an on-screen grid on startup was when the slots/carts needed to be cleaned. Upon doing so it fired up fine. How many different games are you trying out? If it's only one the cart may be defective. Pick up another ASAP so you can make sure nothing is wrong with the PCB itself.

Good luck.

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Yeah, I've had the same prob with some of my carst too, but once I cleaned all the contacts using an eraser they were fine.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
for test purpose you dont need to worry about the other plugs, they are just for the memory card reader and headphones. The board will work OK without these connected.

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
Clean the cart. I had this happen with KoF '98 that I just bought. I put it in as the only cart and it comes up to the grid screen. Clean the cart, and everything is fine.

SamuraiShogun

Morden's Lack,
I got the carts to play now :D
But none of the buttons work...
This is the first time I've ever turned it on.
Nothing,not the select,1 or 2P buttons,or A B C or D.
Everything looks hooked up but is it more likely at the harnesses up top,or at the Jamma connection?

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
Do the joysticks work?

First thing to check is the ground wire. Be sure you have a good ground.

SamuraiShogun

Morden's Lack,
Actually,I forgot to say this the first time,but everything checks out on the self-diagnostic.It responds to all the buttons and joysticks angles.But then when I put in a game nothing.It will swtch between all 4 games automatically after they're done with their demos,but I press on the buttons and nothing.DAMN

SamuraiShogun

Morden's Lack,
Yeah,it was dirty contacts.Cleaned them up and it works fine.AND,I got everything working thanks to Mike at MDgames.Talked to him on the phone,and he figured it was the coin switch preventing it from working.So I set the no.7 dip switch on and it went to free play and BAM,joysticks and buttons all work. :D
Man,that is one kick-ass cab.My old one was a one slot candy with burned in monitor,and crappy speakers.This one has such an awesome picture and color.And the sound!!!
Anyway,thanks a lot to everyone that answered my questions,and helped with advice,it is much appreciated....
DOMO ARIGATO......