SS2 hits Virtual Console today

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
After a few weeks delay, Samurai Shodown 2 hit the Wii's Virtual Console today along with Ys Book 1 and 2. Time to start spending those Wii points!

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Spiffy. Two reasons to actually own a Wii. ;P

dakingofzumunda

Robert Garcia's Butler
Finally! Just hoping it runs and plays as smooth as the first SamSho on the VC. They better not have any missing voices like the SNK Classics version of SS1 on the Wii. Got to have my "PLASMA BLADE!" Love Galford's voice in this one.

dakingofzumunda

Robert Garcia's Butler
After playing the game for about half a hour, some things i noticed:

The life bars at 1/4 don't flash, when they're red. Which is kind of weird having played the original cart. Obviously, this was a NoA guideline. What's weird is the Rage/Anger text and bar meters flash when active??? That makes a whole lot of sense.

The huge fireball that comes at the screen during the screen transition from the world map to the actual opponent stage, is missing it's sound effect.

Haven't been able to slice anybody in half yet. The sequence where the opponent stands and a spray of blood spews out hasn't happened either.

Otherwise, it plays pretty much the way i remember. Having a fun time.

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
The no flashes thing is also noticeable during the intro and also when moves hit, especially super moves.

Although there's blood, there's no body splitting from what I noticed so far, and that's coming from finishing opponents off via cheese by Earthquake's fat chainsaw or his low AB.

The Pelenke and Tanjil stones in Mizuki's stage are missing during the special credits sequence.

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I'll just wait for the ss anthology thank you very much :p

Spoonman1

Overtop Pathfinder
I remember the old news of SS2 being released on Xbox Live, what happened to that? I guess we can count that out by now :(

jdingo

n00b
The life bars at 1/4 don't flash, when they're red. Which is kind of weird having played the original cart. Obviously, this was a NoA guideline. What's weird is the Rage/Anger text and bar meters flash when active??? That makes a whole lot of sense.

The huge fireball that comes at the screen during the screen transition from the world map to the actual opponent stage, is missing it's sound effect.

Haven't been able to slice anybody in half yet. The sequence where the opponent stands and a spray of blood spews out hasn't happened either.

Otherwise, it plays pretty much the way i remember. Having a fun time.

Abster, dakingofzumunda, I came here looking for impressions about the VC release of SS2, and you guys really delivered. Thanks!

I bought the game yesterday.

I still have my Neo cart, for those times when I want the real arcade experience. But given the convenience of playing this on the Wii (with the Wii Neo stick), this version is close enough to satisfy.

You have to wonder, though, why they changed the things they changed. Some of this stuff seems so innocuous, why remove it? And the sound effect accompanying the pre-match fireball really helped set the mood. Why remove it?

- jdingo

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
Beats me, but if you do the old SS2 AES blood code, (In options, change from USA to Japan and back to USA) it will put the fatalities back in the VC version of SS2.