English Premier League 2008-09 Thread

Eickhorst

n00b
The new season has begun, and I figured we should have a thread about the year ahead of us. Post your rants, raves and observations here!

The opening weekend's results were interesting - Chelsea (and Deco) looked really powerful against a woeful Pompey, and I couldn't believe Agbonlahor's hat trick in eight minutes for Villa. Manchester United might be doing exactly what they did last year - dropping points early (remember Rooney's injury early last year and Ronaldo's suspension a few games in?). I don't doubt they'll get it together quickly, though.

As an Arsenal fan, I was excited to see Nasri get off to such a great start in the league. I hope he can stay healthy and keep it up - He already looks like he'll be more productive than Hleb was!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The new season has begun, and I figured we should have a thread about the year ahead of us. Post your rants, raves and observations here!

The opening weekend's results were interesting - Chelsea (and Deco) looked really powerful against a woeful Pompey, and I couldn't believe Agbonlahor's hat trick in eight minutes for Villa. Manchester United might be doing exactly what they did last year - dropping points early (remember Rooney's injury early last year and Ronaldo's suspension a few games in?). I don't doubt they'll get it together quickly, though.

As an Arsenal fan, I was excited to see Nasri get off to such a great start in the league. I hope he can stay healthy and keep it up - He already looks like he'll be more productive than Hleb was!

Nasri was playing the wing in Marseilles, so he's definitely down for his position here. Hleb wanted to play the AMF, and Wenger said no, so that's mostly why he left. He felt out of place in the left wing. Now all of Highbury gives him shit for it. It's almost not fair. But then how many players can leave their team and expect the team's fans to be nice about it?

Deco is on my fantasy squad as captain. I'm happy. Would have been better if I added Agbonlahor, but who would have foreseen that? I think Reo Coker may actually increase his value this season. I hope that I didn't make a mistake by adding Berbatov, Hargreaves, and Tevez. They're looking shabby after the first gameday... :-/ Hopefully they pick it up for Pompey.

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
i know its not the prem but well done to birmingham 2wins out of 2 thanks to super kevin phillips and that quincey abeye who use to play for arsenal looks like a quality signing for us.

i was gutted when agbonglahore scored a hatrick for the scum!

snesbits

Pricejacking fliptard. AVOID!
Chelsea looked good, United struggled without Ronaldo (injured), Tevez (bereavement) & hargreaves (injured)

Eickhorst

n00b
Nasri was playing the wing in Marseilles, so he's definitely down for his position here. Hleb wanted to play the AMF, and Wenger said no, so that's mostly why he left. He felt out of place in the left wing. Now all of Highbury gives him shit for it. It's almost not fair. But then how many players can leave their team and expect the team's fans to be nice about it?

Well, Hleb got plenty of opportunities to play an attacking midfield role for us. Yes, he regularly played on the wing when we had two healthy forwards, but when our strikers were injured (something that happened all too often), Wenger often played a 4-4-1-1 with Hleb in the hole as a second striker.

Here's some numbers for you:
Seasons with Arsenal: 3
Appearances (all competitions): 108
Goals: 10
Assists: 17

I don't care what kind of analysis you use, those are piss-poor numbers for a winger/second striker. Yes, he was a good player with fantastic technical ability, but practically no end product. I can't tell you how many times I screamed "JUST SHOOT!!" at him, only for him to pass the buck. It was almost like he was afraid to. I'm honestly glad to see the back of him.

Deco is on my fantasy squad as captain. I'm happy. Would have been better if I added Agbonlahor, but who would have foreseen that? I think Reo Coker may actually increase his value this season. I hope that I didn't make a mistake by adding Berbatov, Hargreaves, and Tevez. They're looking shabby after the first gameday... :-/ Hopefully they pick it up for Pompey.

Actually, I had Agbonlahor on my fantasy team last year for about half the season (no, he didn't score any hat tricks for me :very_ang:). He and Ashley Young both had phenomenal years. I did consider adding him again but was forced to use the cash elsewhere. Don't worry about your Man U guys (I include Berbatov in that category as well). I'm sure they will get rolling soon. Tevez in particular scored tons of important goals for them last time around.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
To be fair, Hleb wasn't the only gunner that passed too much. The entire team was notorious for passing until they could run the ball into the goal.

Well, Hleb got plenty of opportunities to play an attacking midfield role for us. Yes, he regularly played on the wing when we had two healthy forwards, but when our strikers were injured (something that happened all too often), Wenger often played a 4-4-1-1 with Hleb in the hole as a second striker.

Here's some numbers for you:
Seasons with Arsenal: 3
Appearances (all competitions): 108
Goals: 10
Assists: 17

I don't care what kind of analysis you use, those are piss-poor numbers for a winger/second striker. Yes, he was a good player with fantastic technical ability, but practically no end product. I can't tell you how many times I screamed "JUST SHOOT!!" at him, only for him to pass the buck. It was almost like he was afraid to. I'm honestly glad to see the back of him.

Actually, I had Agbonlahor on my fantasy team last year for about half the season (no, he didn't score any hat tricks for me :very_ang:). He and Ashley Young both had phenomenal years. I did consider adding him again but was forced to use the cash elsewhere. Don't worry about your Man U guys (I include Berbatov in that category as well). I'm sure they will get rolling soon. Tevez in particular scored tons of important goals for them last time around.

Eickhorst

n00b
Oh yeah, you don't need to tell me that. I watched all but three or four matches last year. We looked guilty of that kind of play on Saturday as well. It's been frustrating watching us struggle against teams like Brum, while United were putting six past Newcastle last season. I kept waiting for that kind of offensive explosion from us and it never happened. Well, in the league anyway. We did spank Slavia Prague 7-0 in the Champions League.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
ugh and we tie against the worst team in the EPL today. tottenham? what the fuck blues? what the fuck? i didn't get to see the match i just read reports and it's pissing me off. i mean really. it might be the missing ballack but we have essien and he's a top grade player. it might be pitch. or it might just be that we underestimated them and paid for it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
ugh and we tie against the worst team in the EPL today. tottenham? what the fuck blues? what the fuck? i didn't get to see the match i just read reports and it's pissing me off. i mean really. it might be the missing ballack but we have essien and he's a top grade player. it might be pitch. or it might just be that we underestimated them and paid for it.

your team played without any ambition or creativity today. Good for Totnum to get that single point and get out of the worst team position. Also, Totnum might finish pretty high this season. If they can control Berbatov and keep modric and dos santos healthy. If they complete teh deal for Pavlyuchenko they can be even better.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
your team played without any ambition or creativity today. Good for Totnum to get that single point and get out of the worst team position. Also, Totnum might finish pretty high this season. If they can control Berbatov and keep modric and dos santos healthy. If they complete teh deal for Pavlyuchenko they can be even better.

it's tottenham haha. i kept reading totnum and thinking "who is that?"

where do you watch the games at? fox soccer channel doesn't play any of it. i have to settle for aston villa and liverpool two teams i could care less about. and i'm sure we put on a lackluster performance. petr cech is usually a brick wall. and we had cole, lampard, essien, and drogba on the pitch as well, and we tied against tottenham? it's a sad day for my boys in blue. but next week things might go better against manchester city, hopefully it was a wakeup and will strengthen our resolve. though i'm still mad about us going into a season without claude makelele, and schevcenko but we can make due.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
it's tottenham haha. i kept reading totnum and thinking "who is that?"

where do you watch the games at? fox soccer channel doesn't play any of it. i have to settle for aston villa and liverpool two teams i could care less about. and i'm sure we put on a lackluster performance. petr cech is usually a brick wall. and we had cole, lampard, essien, and drogba on the pitch as well, and we tied against tottenham? it's a sad day for my boys in blue. but next week things might go better against manchester city, hopefully it was a wakeup and will strengthen our resolve. though i'm still mad about us going into a season without claude makelele, and schevcenko but we can make due.

I know it's written Tottenham, but you pronounce it Totnum.

and myp2p.eu

good for guys without cable, like myself.