ATTENTION NAOMI OWNERS!

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
It's time to take the cartridge off the base and inspect your system!

In particular you want to look at the memory retaining capacitor on the board. It's stuck between the IC29 RAM chip, the BIOS, the lithium battery, and a small 8 pin serial EEPROM.

I've found 2 different types of .1f memory retaining capacitor on the boards. If yours has the BLUE capacitor you need to inspect it for leaking. Look for oily residue on the board and discoloration on the cap's exposed metal pieces. Also look for crusty corrosion on the solder joints on the transistors and chips (especially the RAM chip, IC29) surrounding the capacitor.

If you see any of this you need to remove that damn capacitor IMMEDIATELY and clean up the mess on the board.

IT WILL EAT TRACES IF YOU DON'T CLEAN IT UP.

The other system I have here has a brown cap. It doesn't appear to be leaking but in any case you'll still want to check your system if you have the brown cap instead of the blue.

Raymond

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Worse case scenario its easily fixable channelmaniac, I thinks its only 3 traces or so.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
It's already fixed. It ate a trace under the serial EEPROM that holds the data for the ALTERA FPGA chip.

RJ

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
By way the is ic29 ram the same used on the neo.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Yes it is.

The NAOMI uses it in a VERY strange way though. The address lines connected to the chip are NOT in normal order. I dunno WTF the engineers were smoking when the designed it. I think it's part of their hardware obsfucation to keep it from being emulated.

RJ