cps2 questions

jpj

n00b
hi,

i got a SSFIIX A+B board, but am having trouble with the kick harness issue.

i looked through all of the cps2 related threads, and what i've gathered is that i cannot wire up three more (or six more) buttons to the jamma connector itself (like you would do with neo geo, etc).

i'm using a japanese sigma AV7000 supergun with 9000TB sticks (six-button sticks), and wired up with my jamma connector was a small white connector that i believed to be a cps2 kick harness. but now that i actually have the cps2 boards it's way too small to be that (maybe kick harness for something else, like naomi or something?).

so if i buy a cps2 kick harness, i'm gonna have to wire it up to the three kick buttons on each arcade stick directly (?). i imagine this isn't gonna be too hard as i could just drill a small hole in the back of each stick to feed the fires through, and with some cable-ties i could get it looking tidy; and when i'm not using the cps2 boards, pop the connector inside the arcade stick :)

but i'm also a bit confused on the wiring itself. as the six buttons inside all look to be daisy-chain grounded, will i be able to just clip a wire from the harness to each button without needing to ground them again? (if this question is a bit obtuse i can upload some pics to make it clearer)

i'dd also like to swap over the battery and fan. i've found this website for the battery:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=BT03451

but can you recommend a suitable fan replacement, and also where to find the necessary screwdriver :oops: i have a haxagonal star shapped one, but doesn't have a circular whole in the middle of the bit :x

anyways, all advice and input is much appreciated :)

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Your post is a REAL confusing though because you keep taking the round about way. I assuming your super gun has six buttons, if it not wired for capcom fighters you will need to modify it of course. No the kick function for cps 2 games are not on the jamma harness, their on the white sub harness right next to the jamma harness. Just get the jamma + pinout for cps 2 which is widely avaliable and wire form the sub harness to the kick button on your joystick.

I hope you can perform the battery switch, but yes that is the right battery and you can just unplug the fan altogether.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
With the ground, you can just run a wire through all 3 kick buttons. kind of like daisy chain but easier.

Those crimps are annoying.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Open up your SG and wire up the 3 bottom buttons on the joystick ports to the CPS2 harness. While you are doing that you might as well make sure it's wired for Neo Geo as well.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Seriously, just solder the battery in or phoenix it if you want.

pcb_revival

New Challenger
Thats even worse since mighty pang can not be recovered (EASILY) if it dies since it can not be phoenixed.

I will take my chances.

Been okay for six months so far.

I cant find any Google reports of the holder failing.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I will take my chances.

Been okay for six months so far.

I cant find any Google reports of the holder failing.

Believe me man, I own 140 cps2 board and around 40% of the dead one I have bought had died due to that holder failure. Meaning the previous owner did that mod it work fine for some time then just bit it out the blue.

pcb_revival

New Challenger
Thats terrible news - you have my sympathy mainman.

You gonna go through the time and cost of Phoenixing or just forgetaboutit.

EDIT

Do you mean 40% of the collection or 40% of the dead B boards.

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
98% of the new b boards I get are dead, of those 40% died due to the battery holder mod. Over all I usually manage to restore about 89% of all the dead boards I get. The rest usually become part boards because of nonrecoverable battery explosion damaged.