Rygar PCB battery question

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
What type of battery can be installed for high score backup. Nothing I saw in the manual over at kong's mentions a battery but there is a spot on the PCB labeled battery, just not an indication of type or voltage and no battery holder is installed -- just a few solder points that look like they were never used.

I asked over at KLOV a few days ago also, but no responses there yet so I figured I'd try here also

Pas

Camel Slug
I have never seen a Rygar board with a battery installed. Im not sure all of the circutry is there to hold high scores on power off...it may be possable...you would have to look at a schematic or trace things down and see how it all works and if it can be done.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I was thinking a battery was either planned for the board and was scrapped or is a feature that wasn't implemented by ops. The spot on the top PCB is labeled battery with a positive and negative by two solder points. The physical size outlined for the battery is about the same size as the one on printed on the MCR 2 linear power supply boards, so about the size of a AA battery.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
What voltage do you get across the "would be" battery terminal/connections.
My guess would be a 3.6 volt lithium- but please dont quote me.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Do you get voltage at those battery connections with the power on? If so, then it's going to be a rechargeable battery.

Are there spots on the board for other components? Maybe there is a charging circuit or a diode/transistor switch for the battery that isn't implemented on that board.

My guess is that the board could've been used with different ROMs to implement a different arcade game and that the other game probably used the battery.

RJ

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I'll snap some good pics of the pcb and throw them up tomorrow.

I'll check for voltage also.

Thanks guys, hopefully I'll be able to get those high scores saved. I'm tired of seeing it reset to 30000 every time I play :very_ang:

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
Sadly, Rygar doesn't save high scores. I could be wrong, but I can't think of a Japanese game from the 80s that did save scores. Most Atari and Williams games from back then did.

Last edited:

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Sadly, Rygar doesn't save high scores. I could be wrong, but I can't think of a Japanese game from the 80s that did save scores. Most Atari and Williams games from back then did.

Any idea what the battery was for then? That sucks.

Does anyone make a high score save kit?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
AS mentioned earlier I may have been for a different game using the same hardware