New Site Feature - The Neo Geo Wiki

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
http://www.neo-geo.com/wiki/

Some people have already found this, some other have been putting some content into it in the last couples months. Anyway, this is the latest addition to the site. It has been sitting around for the last month or so while we waited on the host to clear a few issues up, and that was done today.

Also, uploading to the Album, and Avatars should now be working!

Everyone has access to read the Wiki, forum members should have access for editing and adding items into the wiki. Most of the pictures from the main part of the Neo-Geo site have already been added to the wiki, but if something is not there, just add it.

Here is a sample page which I did, which I think is a good template to start with, and tweak, for creating pages for various games:

http://www.neo-geo.com/wiki/index.php?title=Aero_Fighters_2_/_Sonic_Wings_2

We have a staff of editors right now, but that staff will definitely need to expand so more people keep an eye on the content. A forum specifically for Wiki talk might also be added as well.

Anyway, give it a try, and let us know what problems you run into.

As far as what is appropriate? Well, that probably is open for discussion, but in my opinion the core is the Neo Geo, and then expanding from there, ports to other system, and also prequals/sequals. Add in the Pocket and Hyper. For example, with Aero Fighters series, I see no reason that each of these (Taken from AF2):

Follows Aero Fighters (Arcade/SNES)
Followed by Aero Fighters 3 / Sonic Wings 3 (Neo-Geo)
Followed by Sonic Wings Limited (Arcade)
Followed by Sonic Wings Special (Saturn/Playstation)
Followed by Aero Fighters Assault (Nintendo 64)

Could not have their own page.

The Wiki has got a long way to go (main page definitely needs polishing!), and any content on the main Neo Geo site can easily be added (some already has).

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
Nicely done, thanks Mouse!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Cool. Hopefully some of our more technologically inclined members will contribute information pertaining to MVS, Hyper, etc Maybe get a few good pages up going over the various hardwares, mods that are available, etc.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Two questions:

Can a user be banned from editing pages?

I ask because soon enough some fucktard is going to go to the wiki and mess stuff up. I mean hopefully not, but some spiteful n00b who got laughed off the board might. And we've even had some other members profess that they got kicks out of defacing Wikipedia articles. Maybe defacing articles should just be an outright ban from the site.

Are we free to put whatever we want on our user pages? (as long as it's say work safe or is their a guideline too.)

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Damn, that's awesome.

Thanks M_M

Now...to figure out how to make a wiki page about me :annoyed:

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Nice, it should be pretty cool to see how this whole things develops.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Bout time! I've seen some really awesome wikis linked to other forums I go to, I'm glad N-G's going along with it.

Marek

Banned
I can't wait to see the candy cab page.

"Candy cabs are made of wood."

aria

Former Moderator
Two questions:

Can a user be banned from editing pages?

I ask because soon enough some fucktard is going to go to the wiki and mess stuff up. I mean hopefully not, but some spiteful n00b who got laughed off the board might. And we've even had some other members profess that they got kicks out of defacing Wikipedia articles. Maybe defacing articles should just be an outright ban from the site.

Are we free to put whatever we want on our user pages? (as long as it's say work safe or is their a guideline too.)

As the resident Wikipedia Admin (though I admit I haven't been very active with ours yet), I would note that the "History" tab on every page in a wiki makes reverting vandalism surprisingly simple. With that said, I am all for punishment.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
As the resident Wikipedia Admin (though I admit I haven't been very active with ours yet), I would note that the "History" tab on every page in a wiki makes reverting vandalism surprisingly simple. With that said, I am all for punishment.

I figured it was easy to revert since Wikis are in a way an ongoing discussion on a topic, but I wasn't sure since I don't edit articles on Wikipedia. It'd be cool to help out on this site.

Will the Wiki strictly be Neo-Geo/Snk related stuff (As in the games/hardware/and things relating to games) or will it also deal with say, Neo-Geo.com?

I think a "History of Neo-Geo.com" would be cool.

Perhaps we could enshrine some of out favorite members with articles about their Hijinx (classicmode, etc). Basically an article to go with a thread in "best of" or do we want to stay away from silly stuff like that?

Also, I think we should definitely have punishment for maliciously defacing articles. A ban?

aria

Former Moderator
I love it!

Lagduf: I definitely think the limit to useful or interesting content is pretty open ended and limited to the (non-malicious) ingenuity of members.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Users shouldn't be able to edit their own User pages, just others.
That actually sounds like an interesting suggestion that makes perfect sense to me...maybe put it up for a vote or something to see what others think?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I love it!

Lagduf: I definitely think the limit to useful or interesting content is pretty open ended and limited to the (non-malicious) ingenuity of members.

Cool.

I'm not really familiar with the code wikis use? Anywhere I can go to read to get a primer on it?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Cool.

I'm not really familiar with the code wikis use? Anywhere I can go to read to get a primer on it?

we use mediawiki, which is the same as the code you find in wikipedia.

what you could do is just go to the pages of the neo geo wiki, and view the source code there. Our wiki pages use simple code. Nothing fancy.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You're a Wikipedia admin? Remind me to ask you a lot of annoying questions about why my lazy entries keep getting deleted. I'm just trying to get the ball rolling on necessary topics. I can't be bothered to write the whole page with proper formatting and citations.

How is the page ever going to get added? Some Wiki egghead is going to have to get around to it.

And fuck man, I can't add any photos. Everything, even photos from ebay auctions are considered copyrighted. Bullshit! Wikipedia is a bland, pictureless site now. It's all a plot to save bandwidth because as we all know, the site can't afford it.

Fine, I won't add anything!

aria

Former Moderator
Cool.

we use mediawiki, which is the same as the code you find in wikipedia.

what you could do is just go to the pages of the neo geo wiki, and view the source code there. Our wiki pages use simple code. Nothing fancy.

Yeah, it surprisingly simple.

We could also work like Wikipedia in that people can type out articles and others can help refine the wiki-code.

I'll give a quick primer in the next post.

aria

Former Moderator
Here are probably the most popular wiki format codes:

[highlight]no one should worry about doing a great job with formating out of the gate. The most important thing is content, we can always refine the formating later (its simple and not nearly as difficult as writing something useful)[/highlight]

Bold -- '''bold text'''
Italics -- ''italic text''
External link -- [http:URL (space) name of external link]
Internal (on wiki) link -- [[Wiki article name]]
Section Headers -- ==Main Section Header== ===Subsection Header=== ====Etc====

Bullet points: for numbers, start the line with # ; for non-numbered, start the line with *

If you're using a discussion page to make comments, you can sign your comments with " --~~~~ "
Creating a space to write a comment directly under another comment, just start the paragraph with a colon (:); i.e. :I agree with the above statment --~~~~

Do not start a paragraph with indentation, this may cause the Wiki to think you're actually doing entirely different formating.

There's more, but that should work for now. It's fairly simple and should become secont nature.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Here are probably the most popular wiki format codes:

no one should worry about doing a great job with formating out of the gate. The most important thing is content, we can always refine the formating later (its simple and not nearly as difficult as writing something useful)

Bold -- '''bold text'''
Italics -- ''italic text''
External link -- [http:URL (space) name of external link]
Internal (on wiki) link -- [[Wiki article name]]
Section Headers -- ==Main Section Header== ===Subsection Header=== ====Etc====

Bullet points: for numbers, start the line with # ; for non-numbered, start the line with *

If you're using a discussion page to make comments, you can sign your comments with " --~~~~ "
Creating a space to write a comment directly under another comment, just start the paragraph with a colon (:); i.e. :I agree with the above statment --~~~~

Do not start a paragraph with indentation, this may cause the Wiki to think you're actually doing entirely different formating.

There's more, but that should work for now. It's fairly simple and should become secont nature.

here's a good source for formatting information:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Formatting

this is very awesome. i've been wanting to make a NEO-GEO.com glossary entry
for BJ Love for ages but never got to it. so i just started an entry in the NEO wiki
http://www.neo-geo.com/wiki/index.php?title=BJ_LOVE
but there's a section for SNK voice actors in the main FAQ portion.
i encourage anyone else to add other voice actors.
i would but i'd have to dig out all my old NEOGEOFREAK magazines.