Multimeter? Is a cheap radio shack one okay?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I will be buying a multi meter, but was wondering if I can get away with one from Radio Shack for 20 bucks? Why are some so damn expensive?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Make sure you get a DIGITAL meter. Preferably one with continuity beep function.

Capacitance functions are a bonus.

Transistor gain testing is neat, but rarely used.

Frequency counter - I've never used that feature.

3 1/2 digits or more on the display.

And, while you're at it - look to see what fuses it takes and buy extra while you are in the store. You'll forget and try to measure voltage with the resistance or continuity settings and blow the fuses a few times. ;)

RJ

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Buying cheap tools never pays. I recommend spending at least $50 on one, and getting one which can take 20A (most only take 10). I also recommend getting one with an automatic backlight.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
I couldn't seem to find a decent priced one that has a fuse on it for taking high current readings.

I ended up getting a Velleman. It has an input for reading up to like 20A max for 15sec, but it's unfused and that one cost me about 40-50 bucks. The regular current reading port has like a .2A fuse. I figure it'd be rare I'd be wanting to take readings at super high currents. I was originally going to try and take current readings off my 6-slot, but I've never gotten around to it.
So far the most used function is the continuity tester, followed by voltage testing.

I did have one of them cheapo multimeters, but I never got a chance to use it. The battery leaked inside there, and even after I cleaned it out, it didn't want to turn on.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Auto-ranging is nice...

Teh only time I was using frequency was when I was hacking a DC vga box...