Arcade Hardware question

eaglesfan

Quiz Detective
This might not be the correct forum, but I am a big Neo Geo MVS fan and in general a fan of arcade games. I am wondering about other current arcade boards, in particular the Naomi board from Sega. I respect the MVS for what it is worth, but I have been looking at current versions of arcade hardware--in particular the cartridge based variety found in the Naomi and Naomi 2. Does anyone have any experience with the Naomi or has anyone seen a Naomi 2 game yet? I believe the Naomi boards are going down in price on Ebay and the carts are almost as cheap as new MVS titles. How do the graphics of Naomi compare with current console games? Does anyone think the Naomi will have a cultlike following and stamina like the MVS has? Does Naomi 2 look better than anything seen so far from PS2 or eventually X-box? For the price of arcade boards, you would believe that the power of them would be far superior to any console could come close to with the price restraints on the console market--that was why the Neo Geo home system was $699 at launch.

Also, any news about the rumors of a MVS 2??
With a restructured SNK, anyone think a new MVS board is possible--maybe even backward compatible with MVS games.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I played a Naomi 2 game last weekend... Wild Riders. It looked good, but to tell you the truth unless I was told, I would have thought that it was Naomi 1... maybe as the developers get better on the hardware it wil improve exponentially. As for Naomi hardware, it is basicly a cartridge bassed Dreamcast with more RAM. So, anything you see on a Dreamcast can be done on Naomi arcade hardware. I am going to be picking one up soon as well, you can find kits of GigaWing with Naomi board for $349 and sometimes even cheaper for Marvel vs Capcom 2.

-Nick

NeoGeoHybrid

Rugal's Thug
naomi board is 3times as strong as dreamcast I have heard.
don't buy naomi one, no reason too, most games are on dreamcast as ports

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
That may be true, but nothing beats the true fel of the game on a cabinet... just my thing I guess. I will buy a Naomi so I can have some great looking games on my cab, regardless whether or not I have those same games for DC... that's the thing about being an arcade fan, you do dumb things like that
smile.gif

-Nick

Hop

Kula's Candy
my neo candy have only 4 button. naomi how many button are there. is it a jamma board. just plug and play type?

------------------
ham.jpg

eaglesfan

Quiz Detective
I agree with the fact that there is just something about playing a game on an arcade cabinet that can not be created from a console. The Naomi IS more powerful than the Dreamcast in terms of ram and noticeably better with graphics. Is there a forum or publication that is based on the arcade collector featuring arcade boards and in particular cartridge based boards such as MVS and Naomi other than this one?
What cabinets do some of you have--where are the cheapest, most versatile cabinets found?
Nruva: Where do you find the Naomi kits for $349 or less? Any idea what a Naomi 2 would cost?