Euro 2008 - Germany - Spain Final in Vienna!!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The fun started on Saturday with the first match Switzerland - Czech Republic (0:1) at 6 pm CEST, followed by Portugal - Turkey (2:0) at 8:45 pm CEST!

Here is a list of all groups, matches, finals and scores:

- The Groups -

Group A

Switzerland
Portugal
Czech Republic
Turkey

Group B

Austria
Poland
Croatia
Germany

Group C

Netherlands
Italy
Romania
France

Group D

Greece
Spain
Sweden
Russia

- The Matches -

6/7/08 (Group A)

Switzerland - Czech Republic (Basel, Switzerland) -- 0:1
Portugal - Turkey (Geneva, Switzerland) -- 2:0

---

6/8/08 (Group B)

Austria - Croatia (Vienna, Austria) -- 0:1
Germany - Poland (Klagenfurt, Austria) -- 2:0

---

6/9/08 (Group C)

Romania - France (Zurich, Switzerland) -- 0:0
Netherlands - Italy (Bern, Switzerland) -- 3:0

---

6/10/08 (Group D)

Spain - Russia (Innsbruck, Austria) -- 4:1
Greece - Sweden (Salzburg, Austria) -- 0:2

---

6/11/08 (Group A)

Czech Republic - Portugal (Geneva, Switzerland) -- 1:3
Switzerland - Turkey (Basel, Switzerland) -- 1:2

---

6/12/08 (Group B)

Croatia - Germany (Klagenfurt, Austria) -- 2:1
Austria - Poland (Vienna, Austria) -- 1:1

---

6/13/08 (Group C)

Italy - Romania (Zurich, Switzerland) -- 1:1
Netherlands - France (Bern, Switzerland) -- 4:1

---

6/14/08 (Group D)

Sweden - Spain (Innsbruck, Austria) -- 1:2
Greece - Russia (Salzburg, Austria) -- 0:1

---

6/15/08 (Group A)

Switzerland - Portugal (Basel, Switzerland) -- 2:0
Turkey - Czech Republic (Geneva, Switzerland) -- 3:2

---

6/16/08 (Group B)

Austria - Germany (Vienna, Austria) -- 0:1
Poland - Croatia (Klagenfurt, Austria) -- 0:1

---

6/17/08 (Group C)

Netherlands - Romania (Bern, Switzerland) -- 2:0
France - Italy (Zurich, Switzerland) -- 0:2

---

6/18/08 (Group D)

Greece - Spain (Salzburg, Austria) -- 1:2
Russia - Sweden (Innsbruck, Austria) -- 2:0

--Quarter Finals--

6/19/08

Portugal - Germany (Basel, Switzerland) -- 2:3

---

6/20/08

Croatia - Turkey (Vienna, Austria) -- 2:4 (1:1, PK = 1:3)

---

6/21/08

Holland - Russia (Basel, Switzerland) -- 1:3

---

6/22/08

Spain - Italy (Vienna, Austria) 4:3 (PK)

--Semi Finals--

6/25/08

Germany - Turkey (Basel, Switzerland) -- 3:2

---

6/26/08

Spain - Russia (Vienna, Austria) -- 3:0

--Final--

6/29/08

Germany - Spain (Vienna, Austria) -- 0:1

... and the winner is: Spain!

Congratulations!

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Nom nom nom nom...

Am I the only one who's excited about Euro 2k8?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Here are my predictions

Group A

Portugal
Turkey

Group B

Germany
Croatia

Group C

Italy
France

Group D

Sweden
Spain

pretty straightforward except for Turkey and Sweden. You may expect Czech and Russia to make it to round two, but I don't.

Round two I expect to see Spain knocked out by Italy or France. Croatia to get knocked out by Portugal, and Turkey to get knocked out by Germany.

Some explanations -
Portugal is going to play the sexiest football in this cup. CR17 is in his golden year. Carvalho, Nani, Nuno, Deco, Quaresma, Simao, Bosingwa - Portugal is a lot better than people are crediting them, but this is because...

Italy and Germany are favorites in a huge way. Problem is that Italy, with all its power, is kind of shakey to me. Cannavaro is out, and now Buffon is the captain, which is cool in a Dino Zoff kind of way, but it's a huge loss. They don't have amazing firepower here. It's a counterattacking team, but now without Nesta (retired from international play) and Cannavaro (torn ligaments).

Germany is a funny team, in my opinion. I don't like Lehmann. Apparently neither does Arsenal anymore. I don't like Arsenal either. The one thing I like on Germany is Mario Gomez. Klose will score a bunch of goals against Poland and Austria, then be quiet the rest of the tournament as he shuts down against good teams. Podolski will likely be bailing the team out instead of Klose. Frings and Ballack will likely be carrying the team on their shoulders. People will say Schweinsteiger's name just because it sounds funny.

As for Sweden, this is probably one of the most offensive teams right now, even though it looks week on paper. Zlatan goes without saying, but they also have Kim Kallstrom, who is a lot like Lampard, except younger and without the beergut. Rocket footed and can play the entire midfield. However, some things aren't nice here, Ljundberg is probably still too injured to play a full match. As such, Russia, led by manager Guus Hiddink, may move forward to face Italy once again. But still, Sweden cannot be underestimated. They are not easy to beat ever.

Guus Hiddink and Italy have a strange history. His Korea team knocked them out of WC2002, then Italy knocked out his Australian team in WC2006. This one man is Italy's biggest rival in my opinion.

This weekend Portugal will probably tear Turkey apart 3-1. Czech will draw Switzerland.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Nom nom nom nom...

Am I the only one who's excited about Euro 2k8?

No, you're not the only one. I'm incredibly excited. I'm really looking forward to the Poland Germany match. Short of some massive screw up Germany should be able to take it all this year.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Here are my predictions

Group A

Portugal
Turkey

Group B

Germany
Croatia

Group C

Italy
France

Group D

Sweden
Spain

pretty straightforward except for Turkey and Sweden. You may expect Czech and Russia to make it to round two, but I don't.

Round two I expect to see Spain knocked out by Italy or France. Croatia to get knocked out by Portugal, and Turkey to get knocked out by Germany.

Some explanations -
Portugal is going to play the sexiest football in this cup. CR17 is in his golden year. Carvalho, Nani, Nuno, Deco, Quaresma, Simao, Bosingwa - Portugal is a lot better than people are crediting them, but this is because...

Italy and Germany are favorites in a huge way. Problem is that Italy, with all its power, is kind of shakey to me. Cannavaro is out, and now Buffon is the captain, which is cool in a Dino Zoff kind of way, but it's a huge loss. They don't have amazing firepower here. It's a counterattacking team, but now without Nesta (retired from international play) and Cannavaro (torn ligaments).

Germany is a funny team, in my opinion. I don't like Lehmann. Apparently neither does Arsenal anymore. I don't like Arsenal either. The one thing I like on Germany is Mario Gomez. Klose will score a bunch of goals against Poland and Austria, then be quiet the rest of the tournament as he shuts down against good teams. Podolski will likely be bailing the team out instead of Klose. Frings and Ballack will likely be carrying the team on their shoulders. People will say Schweinsteiger's name just because it sounds funny.

As for Sweden, this is probably one of the most offensive teams right now, even though it looks week on paper. Zlatan goes without saying, but they also have Kim Kallstrom, who is a lot like Lampard, except younger and without the beergut. Rocket footed and can play the entire midfield. However, some things aren't nice here, Ljundberg is probably still too injured to play a full match. As such, Russia, led by manager Guus Hiddink, may move forward to face Italy once again. But still, Sweden cannot be underestimated. They are not easy to beat ever.

Guus Hiddink and Italy have a strange history. His Korea team knocked them out of WC2002, then Italy knocked out his Australian team in WC2006. This one man is Italy's biggest rival in my opinion.

This weekend Portugal will probably tear Turkey apart 3-1. Czech will draw Switzerland.

You never stop to amaze me with your football predictions ! ^^

sweden might do well. I like them.
I just think people might have to respect a bit more the greeks.
I know their football style reeks, but it's effective and they are also on the run.

It'll be a superb tournament.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Hey, that was a nice first Euro 2k8 matchday.

Switzerland - Czech Republic (0:1):

Hmmm... overall the Czechs have the better and more experienced players but the 0:1 against the Swiss was pure luck. In this match, Switzerland was the better team but they really have to work on their offense and precision. Oh, and I really feel for Alexander Frei, captain of the team, EM 2k8 is over for him before it really started... same shit happened to Koller two years ago. Switzerland would have deserved to win this and the Czechs could do better... ...MUCH better.

Portugal - Turkey (2:0):

Portugal won as expected but IMO Turkey did a good job in keeping Portugal's star players at bay, specially during the end of 1st and beginning of 2nd half. Portugal kinda lost the focus from 45: to 60:, then increased the pressure again and consequently scored the first goal, Pepe's double-pass goal was really amazing. Anyway, Turkey had some nice chances on their feet but didn't make it through the well-placed Portuguese defense. Overall, Portugal has shown their favorite status quite nicely.

I'm really looking forward to the 2nd match of today: Germany - Poland. There already were minor riots last night between German and Polish fans, the atmosphere is heating up with every minute that goes by, you can almost grab it.

We'll have a EM party tonight at my place with barbecue and beer, hope the thunderstorms cease by then, at the mo it's raining cats and dogs over here...

As for my predictions, I hope for a 2:1 for Germany. Poland SO wants to win this match so this is going to be rough.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
I think the Poland Germany game will be very tight. Germany just barely pulled off a victory at the world cup 2006 and both teams have improved quite a bit since then. This will definately be the best match so far in the tournament.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Germany - Poland 2:0. Podolski's the man.

Good match, relatively fair/not as rough as I expected. Lehmann and Mertesacker did a good job at destroying the Polish chances IMO, they seem to be in tune now, I was slightly worried about that after the last test match.

Tomorrow will be another great matchday with two "killer group" events, looking forward to Holland - Italy. Oranje always was and always will be my 2nd-fave team after Germany so I hope they'll make it. Will be tough but I think it's doable.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Oranje always was and always will be my 2nd-fave team after Germany so I hope they'll make it. Will be tough but I think it's doable.

YEah, I always liked them as a Kid ( Van Basten ftw !!! )

They play a sexy football too.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Germany played phenomenal football. Podolski makes scoring seem so easy. I can only hope Klinsmann will give him a regular spot on the Bayern Munich squad next season. Poland made a couple of glaring mistakes but other than that played alright. They have the talent to progress from the group.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Couple of things

Podolski plays well internationally, not on the club level. May need to change his club.

Oranje haven't played sexy football in years (since 2000 right).

Mario Gomez was a let down. Obvious he has incredible talent, but he missed some real chances.

Germany was not trying hard. Poland were playing their asses off. This was apparent from the beginning. The difference in skill is phenomenal.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yep, our lads are in good shape, that's for sure. According to Ballack, quote, "we never had such a long and tough training before", and it seems to pay off.

One of the most remarkable players besides Podolski was Clemens Fritz, aggressive, quick, precise and fearless, that's how I like it. He just has to make sure not to overdo it, that was the reason why Löw took him out and sent in Schweini instead.

Poland improved a lot since 2006, Leo Beenhakkers did a good job here. They're on a good way, next stop is Austria come Thursday, won't be that difficult for Poland I guess. Just like the first line of the Polish national anthem says: Jeszcze Polska nie zginęła - Poland has not perished yet! :)

About Oranje and sexy football, maybe it's not South America-sexy but definitely Central Europe-sexy... they have a good team and very good players who have found a nice middle-of-the-road style between artsy-fartsy Ronaldo footy and good old pressing and fighting, and that makes them unique over here IMO.

First match today will be Romania - France. This is France's "year one" after Zidane so to speak, let's see how the equipe with oldies like Makelele and Thuram can cope with that. Oh, and don't write off Romania too soon, they sit in a very tough group now but have some very talented players (Mutu, etc.) that aren't on the same level as some of their French colleagues but are still hungry, something that can't be said of some French stars...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
First match today will be Romania - France. This is France's "year one" after Zidane so to speak, let's see how the equipe with oldies like Makelele and Thuram can cope with that. Oh, and don't write off Romania too soon, they sit in a very tough group now but have some very talented players (Mutu, etc.) that aren't on the same level as some of their French colleagues but are still hungry, something that can't be said of some French stars...

I disagree about Netherlands still playing sexy football. When Overmars left, sexy football left the national team as well. Now they have VDV and Sneijder who are technically sound, but not sexy. Kuyt will never be a great footballer. RVN can only score in the box, and will one day be compared Kluivery for prolific striker with dumbest luck. I see no hope for this mish-mash team.

In the case of Romania, I'm going to write them off because France is still a really good team.

ROMANIA

1 Bogdan Lobont (G)
5 Cristian Chivu (D)
2 Cosmin Contra (D)
3 Razvan Dinca Rat (D)
4 Gabriel Sebastian Tamas (D)
15 Dorin Goian (D)
6 Mirel Matei Radoi (M)
16 Banel Nicolita (M)
11 Razvan Cocis (M)
10 Adrian Mutu (F)
21 Daniel George Niculae (F)

FRANCE

23 Gregory Coupet (G)
5 William Gallas (D)
3 Eric Abidal (D)
19 Willy Sagnol (D)
15 Lilian Thuram (D)
7 Florent Malouda (M)
6 Claude Makelele (M)
20 Jeremy Toulalan (M)
22 Franck Ribery (M)
8 Nicolas Anelka (F)
9 Karim Benzema (F)

I know it needs to be reminded over and over, but Benzema is going to rock this tournament. Coupet and Toulalan are also great players.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
1st half of Romania - France is over... France is playing in safe-mode and the Romanians rely on defense and the occasional counter, read, it's a quite tactical chess-like match so far.

I don't get why Domenech put Ribery on that strange position... seems like a waste to me.

And that ref is a dork.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
1st half of Romania - France is over... France is playing in safe-mode and the Romanians rely on defense and the occasional counter, read, it's a quite tactical chess-like match so far.

I don't get why Domenech put Ribery on that strange position... seems like a waste to me.

And that ref is a dork.

France should've won that game. Too many chances to score and they just didn't capitalize.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Charlie,

Well, German TV shows all matches so I just have to switch on my telly! :)

For live broadcasts/internet feed, browse over to http://zattoo.com , they offer a free client program and broadcast service for 50+ int'l TV stations and Euro 2k8 feeds. Haven't tried it myself but it seems to work quite well from what I've heard.

So... the match is over. Boring 0:0.

I think it's safe to say that Romania can NOT be written off, they really can hold up against the bigger teams. The Dutch already know it, now France knows too.

Gekika,

France could have won but shouldn't have, their game was not up to par with their overall skills.

Last edited:

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I disagree about Netherlands still playing sexy football. When Overmars left, sexy football left the national team as well. Now they have VDV and Sneijder who are technically sound, but not sexy. Kuyt will never be a great footballer. RVN can only score in the box, and will one day be compared Kluivery for prolific striker with dumbest luck. I see no hope for this mish-mash team.

In the case of Romania, I'm going to write them off because France is still a really good team.

ROMANIA

1 Bogdan Lobont (G)
5 Cristian Chivu (D)
2 Cosmin Contra (D)
3 Razvan Dinca Rat (D)
4 Gabriel Sebastian Tamas (D)
15 Dorin Goian (D)
6 Mirel Matei Radoi (M)
16 Banel Nicolita (M)
11 Razvan Cocis (M)
10 Adrian Mutu (F)
21 Daniel George Niculae (F)

FRANCE

23 Gregory Coupet (G)
5 William Gallas (D)
3 Eric Abidal (D)
19 Willy Sagnol (D)
15 Lilian Thuram (D)
7 Florent Malouda (M)
6 Claude Makelele (M)
20 Jeremy Toulalan (M)
22 Franck Ribery (M)
8 Nicolas Anelka (F)
9 Karim Benzema (F)

I know it needs to be reminded over and over, but Benzema is going to rock this tournament. Coupet and Toulalan are also great players.

if you are watching the match what did you say about kuyt again its 2 to 0 already VIVA ITALIAHAHAHAHA

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Snijder and Nistelrooy may not play particularly sexy but they ain't too shabby scorers either, eh.

2:0 for Holland.

Where's Italy's fabled defense? Ah well, let's see what happens in 2nd half. Great game so far.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The game is ridiculous.

Netherlands are owning the Italians in a huge way.
Time to take out Ambrosini and put on Del Piero or Di Rossi.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yeah, something is completely wrong here, Italy seems stunned. Make no mistake, they're able to turn tables if they really want to.

2nd half has just started, let's see what changes there will be in the Italian team.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Del Piero in for Di Natale. Dumb. should have taken off Ambrosini. This AC Milan midfield was a complete mistake. Gattuso and Pirlo are legendary, but leave Ambrosini out, please.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Holland - Italy 3:0.

I.can't.believe.it.

Amazing match, Holland ran, kicked and scored Italy to the ground. The third goal was luck but hey... overall a disappointing performance by the 2006 world cup winner, I really wonder what's up with them.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Holland - Italy 3:0.

I.can't.believe.it.

Amazing match, Holland ran, kicked and scored Italy to the ground. The third goal was luck but hey... overall a disappointing performance by the 2006 world cup winner, I really wonder what's up with them.

Italy can afford to lose a match, as long as they get points on the next two games. Honestly, I got knocked on these two games today. I wrote off the dutch and they surprised me. I wrote off Romania and they, I dunno... the French played bad. Romania is still not doing shit in this tournament.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Holland played a great game. They looked a bit shaky in the middle of the second half but composed themselves enough to score one more. This game along with the France/Romania draw makes group C even more difficult to predict.