What is a "reset cable"?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
In my.... yeah yeah... in my Hydro Thunder that I can't get to work, I have a theory. There's a RESET CABLE that goes to a filter board that controls the controls for the game. I may have moved this at one point. There's a lot of places for it to go in a row. Problem is, where I THINK it's supposed to go (little spot that says reset).... it... you guessed it, makes the whole system reset. If I leave it there, the system never actually comes on. Just stays locked there. Even the god damn manual show the cable going there.

So, what in god's name is a reset cable? And why won't it work where it says to go? Anyone? Anyone? I'm so close to getting this working. Damn it, Jamma is so much easier than this.

ShmengeTravel

Mature's Make-up Artist
I was going to say I'd check the hardware out when my sportstation cab gets here this week but looking at system 16, they're two different hardware. And I forgot you have one of those already :tickled:

Stupid question, I know you say when you plug the cable in, the hardware resets, but what happens when you plug it in and then turn it on?

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
Could something be wrong with that filter board?

Is there a reset button anywhere on the machine. Maybe it's stuck in one position?

Also according to the manual it looks like the power supply hooks into that filter board. Maybe it's a bad powersupply causing the system to reset itself?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I was going to say I'd check the hardware out when my sportstation cab gets here this week but looking at system 16, they're two different hardware. And I forgot you have one of those already :tickled:

Stupid question, I know you say when you plug the cable in, the hardware resets, but what happens when you plug it in and then turn it on?

Won't boot up. Dude, the hard ware is not even on the same planet as this one. Thank anyhow.

Could something be wrong with that filter board?

Is there a reset button anywhere on the machine. Maybe it's stuck in one position?

Also according to the manual it looks like the power supply hooks into that filter board. Maybe it's a bad powersupply causing the system to reset itself?

Nope, used a new pow supply, too. No avail. This is making me sad. :envy:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I'll try my best and get a good look at the one at work tomorrow and get back with you on it. Yeah, the Hydro Thnder board is kind of unique compared to similar games. Never had an issue with the dual Thunders so I've really never had a reason to open the game up and check the guts.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
Something in the manual talked about a watchdog, maybe something is triggering the watchdog?
I have no clue what would be causing that though.

You got any arcade shops in your area? Maybe someone there could help?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Something in the manual talked about a watchdog, maybe something is triggering the watchdog?
I have no clue what would be causing that though.

You got any arcade shops in your area? Maybe someone there could help?

I am going to the local bowling alley that has one of these. I called and the manager said I could look inside theirs... I'm going to go bring my camera and come back madder than ever when nothing is different. lol. Wish me luck.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
I am going to the local bowling alley that has one of these. I called and the manager said I could look inside theirs... I'm going to go bring my camera and come back madder than ever when nothing is different. lol. Wish me luck.

Good luck!! It's sucks to keep seeing you have issues with your machine.

Maybe you can convince him to let you swap parts between the two machines or something to try and figure things out!

So I was looking at the manual more and that Diego Board has some jumpers on it too.
It's got one that will put it in test mode at all times, and it has one where you can possibly disable the watchdog.

Not sure what disabling the watchdog would do if it's protecting the board from a problem.

Could always check those out to make sure they're in the right spots.

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'm back. It was locked! So, no luck. The test menu thing you speak of doesn't even work! lol... Even on the dip setting. What a bitch this is.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
Did you check that Diego board thing to make sure the jumpers there are set right?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Did you check that Diego board thing to make sure the jumpers there are set right?

Of course. When you turn 3 to on (by the way, they're not jumpers, they're dip switches).... it starts in test mode. Big help this is, since none of the buttons work. lol. Therefore, I can't navigate through it.

This is gay

I turned that watchdog switch on... off... nothing. Doesn't matter. Christ. It's so close to being playable, too. Great picture, sound, loads quickly (unlike before the video card).

I checked all the cables that lead to the board for control. The game gets mad when I unhook them. So it can't be that, either. The last thing I can think of is the video card. Could that be causing trouble? I don't see how, but jesus, I'm down to freaking witch doctor theories at this point. It's a brand new video card. An exact replica of the one I took out. Beats me what's wrong with this fucker.

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
DSC01679.jpg

DSC01684.jpg

I'm almost positive this reset cable plugs into where it says reset.... but when I do put it there, it's like holding down the reset on your computer. It goes to the filter board, which goes to the board controlling the controls.... so I wonder if this little guy is screwing me up? But really, what kind of signal could possibly be going through that stupid little thing? I wish there were a way to test if the buttons are being recognized somewhere along the line. There's a stoppage somewhere... but where?

ShmengeTravel

Mature's Make-up Artist
OK, it looks like you can put the plug in two ways, did you try flipping the cable upside down?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
OK, it looks like you can put the plug in two ways, did you try flipping the cable upside down?

Trust me, you can't. The only thing I'm sure of is what way it faces, and it won't reach upside down. I'm not a stupid man, so why can't I figure this out?

What I NEED is a pic of someone else's cab on the inside to see how theirs looks compared to this one.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Have you tried posting on the KLOV forums?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Great advice. I just went to KLOV now. I had no idea they had a forum. Thank you.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
Was there any reason they couldn't unlock the cab for you at the bowling alley?

Did the controls work when the bad video card was in there, or did it never get past the bootup?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Was there any reason they couldn't unlock the cab for you at the bowling alley?

Did the controls work when the bad video card was in there, or did it never get past the bootup?

Yep, worked great before. I wonder if the video card is screwing stuff up? Happ controls actually replied to my plea... not that it helped much:

Hi Steve,

Here is the reply from our tech support dept:

Please notify the customer to do the following:

- Reseat the video card

- If the customer has another Hydro Thunder, swap the Diego board to verify the problem

- Check all the wirings going to the control panels and the CPU

- Possible bad potentiometer and switches

I hope this helps.

Thank You,

Julie Wallace

EDIT: I'm starting to think I must have fried the "diego" board when messing with the pow supply. HOWEVER, it recognizes everything that it's supposed to do. It still takes in and puts out video signal, all the board lights light up. Dips on it work. It even knows when the controller isn't hooked up and won't start 'till it's plugged in.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
I guess if you have the time you could try putting the bad video card back in there and see if that brings the controls back to life. I'm not sure how much work is involved in doing that.

Then again I would have no clue why a video board would affect controls.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Chris,

yeah, I know. I already am talking with him now. I think I blew the diego board when screwing with the pow supply. Damn. Thanks for the help, dude.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Sorry I haven't been any help to you (wish I had a damn camera!). I've seen that board in the game but for some reason it wasn't registaring in my mind as the diego board (long week at work but still not an excuse). I'll try and get the wire scheme to it by this weekend if it will help.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Guy on ebay says he can repair it... and it wouldn't take long. Well the hell with that, I wonder if it's something I can do? I'd like to have a look at it to see what could be burned out? What could need replacing on something like this, I wonder?

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Are the LEDs flashing on the Diego board? If they are staying on and not flashing that means something is locked up. Check out page 85 and 86 in the manual for what each LED signal means.