SNK Playmore USA Moving To L.A.?

It was mentioned some time ago that Ignition Entertainment had received the rights to distribute Metal Slug 7 in the U.S. However, rumors have been circulating that SNK Playmore may wind up in the hands of Ignition. While this rumor (as well as the one about Ben Herman retiring at the end of this year) may have been debunked on kotaku.com, it could very well end becoming a reality (see links below):

http://totalplaystation.com/ps3/news/7801
http://kotaku.com/5008950/snk-usa-is-so-not-closing-down-[updated]

And yet, I seem to remember Bobak saying that the words "Ignition" and "screwed up" go together hand-in-hand, which has me quite concerned about this partnership. Will SNK Playmore end up at Ignition's offices in L.A.? Is this the end of Ben Herman's (infamous) reign over SNKP? Will Ignition someone manage to not screw up any of SNKP's future titles? And will this move prove to be another feather in SNKP's bad business decisions cap?

aria

Former Moderator
It was mentioned some time ago that Ignition Entertainment had received the rights to distribute Metal Slug 7 in the U.S. However, rumors have been circulating that SNK Playmore may wind up in the hands of Ignition. While this rumor (as well as the one about Ben Herman retiring at the end of this year) may have been debunked on kotaku.com, it could very well end becoming a reality (see links below):

http://totalplaystation.com/ps3/news/7801
http://kotaku.com/5008950/snk-usa-is-so-not-closing-down-[updated]

And yet, I seem to remember Bobak saying that the words "Ignition" and "screwed up" go together hand-in-hand, which has me quite concerned about this partnership. Will SNK Playmore end up at Ignition's offices in L.A.? Is this the end of Ben Herman's (infamous) reign over SNKP? Will Ignition someone manage to not screw up any of SNKP's future titles? And will this move prove to be another feather in SNKP's bad business decisions cap?

I have definitely been critical of SNK USA under, well... just about any regime, Ben Herman's being more notorious because they released a broken game in English that wasn't broken in Japanese (that takes something extra-special to achieve). I don't recall saying anything about Ignition --but I reserve final judgment if someone finds a post where I did, in which case I --uh-- defer to my own opinion?

I will say this: It's not an easy job, whoever takes it.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
You'd figure the job would be pretty easy nowadays considering that SNK Playmore USA doesn't actually make games, but merely translates them. But talking about just SNK Playmore in general, I'd like to see new properties from them rather than just resting on their laurels.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I remember for a time they were based out of NJ, no?

That would explain a lot.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I remember for a time they were based out of NJ, no?

That would explain a lot.

Still remember the good old days when the real U.S SNK was 6 blocks from me. One more thing the U.S SNK never made game they just localized them same with the U.S Capcom office and etc.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Still remember the good old days when the real U.S SNK was 6 blocks from me. One more thing the U.S SNK never made game they just localized them same with the U.S Capcom office and etc.

I thought Capcom USA did make a few games. Didn't they make that 3d fighter where a cop could turn into a police car? Maximo 2? And a couple wiiware games?

I'm trying to check up on that but google isn't working for me right now. :spock:

SSS

neo retired
I thought Capcom USA did make a few games. Didn't they make that 3d fighter where a cop could turn into a police car? Maximo 2? And a couple wiiware games?

I'm trying to check up on that but google isn't working for me right now. :spock:

They did Final Fight Revenge, if that's what you're refering to. shit game, I have it somewhere. :annoyed:

Oresama

Rugal's Thug
Personally, I couldn't care less about what happens to SNKP USA. They have managed to botch everything they touch and can't even get Neo Geo games on compilations to run (at what a Neo Geo elitist snob like myself considers) acceptably close to the MVS original. They'd be better off ripping off MAME and just sticking a custom GUI on it.

SNK USA was always bad (which is why my money always went to the real SNK) and SNKP USA is finding a way to be even worse. The Neo Geo has always thrived because of those of us who love her and protect her memory, even if SNKP USA burns itself to the ground it won't be any loss the Neo Geo community. I would go so far as to say that they're worse than anything Neo Geo Freaks, because they at least pretended to give a damn about Neo Geo games. Perhaps I am a trifle too jaded, but take a minute and imagine the abomination that would be SSRPG released by SNKP USA.

RegalSin

God damn..., what a fucking idiot, , I mean,, how
This is why everything is mass produced with the original release.