Got my Hydro Thunder working well again, but...

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
So, I replaced my video card for my Hydro Thunder that I got off ebay brand new. Works great again. Loads up on the first try, every try. YIPPEE!

I sat there for about 5 minutes in awe that it worked well... better than ever, in fact. So finally, I was like "well, let's play it!".... NOTHING. No controls work what so ever.

Oh my god, it's the on going saga with this thing. Should be easy. Everything seems to work great, but no controls at all. I can't even go into the system config to test controls (the seperate board connected to the machine... that doesn't work either). No coin acceptance, no button pushes. Nothing.

The only thing I can think is, when I took out the pow supply, I must not have hooked everything back up in the computer. But, I don't see what I could be missing. This is driving me nuts! What the hell did I miss? I didn't undo any wires outside of the computer itself. I just don't get it.

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Well at least it turns on now:)

Yeah like you said I would just check all the connections. Maby you missed something or accidentally disconnected a connection.
Page 96 in the manual is where the control trouble shooting is. But I don't think it will be much help here.

Here are the suggestions it gives:

1. Enter Menu System by pressing and holding
TEST MODE switch inside coin door. From
Diagnostic Menu, choose SWITCH TEST. Run
tests to confirm switch operation.
2. Check for loose parts or wires caught in switch
contacts.
3. Check continuity at each switch connection
(Common to Normally Open or Common to
Normally Closed).
4. Verify that control operates properly by placing it
in working VGM.
5. Verify that dashboard switch light bulbs are type
specified in parts listing. Other types light, but
may produce too much heat. Eventually excess
heat may cause switches to bind.

Did you make sure you held down the Test mode switch? Or did you just press it?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Yeah, the manual's crap for my current problem. I held it down forever. It's not registering, because the menu and test buttons are just like the other buttons. None of them work. Not even that test button. Must be something in the computer that needs power for it to work that I pulled without knowing. But what? Jesus! lol

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Does anyone here have access to a hydro thunder machine? I would love pics of the inside. I am going fucking nuts, here. There must be some power thing or something I hooked up wrong. Maybe I fried something, doing it? I don't know. What really kills me is even the dip switch on the board won't work. Nothing is going to the computer. When I flip the switch 3 to on to go to test menu, it still won't work. I am confused as hell.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
im sure you would have figured this out if it was the problem, but i know on my showtime, the test switch is a switch, and if i leave it switched on, no controls work.

you MAY have some luck contacting happ for help.
midwayarcadeparts@happcontrols.com

they never got back to me about my board though.

have you posted this anywhere else? i'd suggest looking for a board thats more about arcade collecting and repairs in general. youd be more likely to find someone who has the game.

try checking every connection, following every wire, etc. but ive never seen inside one so i cant really say much else.

also how do all the controls connect to the pc? could the i/o board or whatever be busted?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
It connects with a vga cable, believe it or not.... I have zero idea what's wrong with this fucking thing. The test switch on this is a button. This really really sucks.

yeah, I made a post on another website but not sure if it will help. We will see.