Last Question! Honest!

benares

Kula's Candy
I think given the cheap, better than RGB quality, and ease of getting a SVGA monitor over the RGB I will go with SVGA.

So my question is, how can I output the Neo-Geo's video signal out to SVGA?

That's all!

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
I wouldn't bother with trying to output your Neo video signal to an svga monitor. Monitors are, in general, not a good display medium for consoles . . . the exception at this time being the Dreamcast, which has some very beautiful games (such as Soul Calibur) that look great on a monitor.

I've tried this before using a device called the Jam! video adapter. The Jam! can take any composite video or s-video input, and output to a monitor. It costs about $75 (there is a used one in a store near me for $30).

Anyway, stick with a TV as the output source . . . lower res games look much better on it, and if you have s-video input on the TV, and s-video output on your Neo (has to be modded for the cart system, already there for CD), the picture looks pretty good.

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
Chimpmeister,

The reason the Jam video adapter looks bad is because it is taking compostite or s-video encoded TV signals and converting it to RGB. Once you encode RGB to either composite or s-video, you will never be able to get back the true RGB signal.

If you use straight RGB to an RGB monitor, it will look much better.

G

gokusama26

The reason the Jam video adapter looks bad is because it is taking compostite or s-video encoded TV signals and converting it to RGB.

Actually, the reason that games look bad on a VGA, Jam! or not, is the resoultion games are rendered in. Games like Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, and Rayman 2 are rendered in 640x480, which is the lowest resoultion for a VGA monitor. So they actually look sharp,crisp, and bright (for a console game). However the if you put a game like MvsC in and switch to VGA after you turn on the DC, the graphics are horrible. This is because almost all games are rendered somewhere around 480x240. With HDTV supposedly becoming the norm in the next few years, this will probably change. However, the NEO, with the majority of its games made mid-90's will always look like crap on anything hi-rez. The characters will look like they are made of Lego's. Just go with RGB or S-Video. Who hooo!!!! POST 50!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by gokusama26 (edited October 16, 2000).]