What is everyones opinion of SNK games on other systems?

G

gokusama26

Games like KoF
biggrin.gif
M99 on DC, Last Blade2 (not out yet) the FF series (multisystem), Metal Slug, KoM, SamSho, and others. Do they make you go ooooohhh.....or BLARG! Some games, like KoF
biggrin.gif
M99 on DC were excellent ports (and I'm expecting LB2 to be) while others (FFSpecial(Genesis), MS PSX,or Saturn!) weren't. I think it is kind of a double edged sword. On one hand, when a game is ported well, it is alot easier to get and play, so enjoyability goes up, even for non-neo owners. But, when games like FFSpecial come out, you shudder in disgust and wonder how SNK could produce such crap. What do you think?

I

Iori

Dreamcast ports are excellent, saturn, all right. Everything else sucks.

JRock917

, ,
Well, for me, if its not on the neo system its just not the same. I have played horrible ports of Samurai Showdown on PC and PSX, and when I played SS on the neo everything was hunky dorey. As far as the DC KOF goes, I really like it better on the neo, but I think thats more of a preference deal than anything else; in practically every sense the game is solid. Its most definitely true that the DC can run 2D games quite well, just look at all the Capcom fighters on the system alone. Personally, I think the games seem to run better on the system they were meant for, and hell, I just like using my SNK sticks over anything else anyway
smile.gif

neonut

Crossed Swords Squire
I do think the dc has good ports, but if you run kof 98 for the neo on video one on your tv and kof 99 for the dc on video 2 and flip between them you can see a huge difference in size and detail. Capcom ports are excellent I played the new cap vs, snk at my local arcade and there is almost no difference.........But it ain't snk game............................NEONUT

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
I don't thinkn I've seen more than KoF '96 on Saturn as far as next-gen ports go, but Takara did a so-so job at best porting the older SNK games to 16-bit systems. I used to play FF on the Genesis a bit since I enjoyed myself so playing the arcade machine, and I did really like it, same goes for World Heroes on SNES, and maybe one or two others, but when they got to Samurai Shodown.. YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKK!!!!!! What an insult!
In truth though I didn't think even remotely highly of more than about 3 of their ports. The rest just blew the big one badly. It was too bad all in all really, since with good ports the Neo certainly could have had a few extra fans. At least we've got Takara to blame, and not SNK, who still don't know how to program on any other system properly.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Well, although I agree that almost all of the ports do not measure up to the Neo Geo originals, there was one that wasn't that bad . . . and yes it was by Takara.

I know it was bigtime short on animation frames, but surprisingly, Samurai Shodown for the GENESIS is not a bad game! Play it on the Sega Nomad, and its really cool. The music was nicely ported (given the limitations) and the game retains the look and feel (generally) of the original. However, the Samurai Shodown for the SNES was utter crap, for some strange reason it was WAY worse than the Genesis port!

Ukyo

20 Year Member
Ports only on saturn! Everything else...NO NO NO NO NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!

deadtech

n00b
I usually like to check out any port of a game I like by any developer on as many formats as possible. I have most of the SNK games for my NES, SNES,Genny,PSX,and Saturn. Most of the Saturn ones are pretty good. One that is notably pretty good is King of the Monsters 2 on Genesis. It IS different, but still pretty close.
-deadtech

JRock917

, ,
I am not totally surprised that the Saturn's ports worked out so well; that system was always heralded for its ability to play 2D games at a blazing framerate, especially when you used the RAM cart. I have not played any of the Saturn ports, but would like to someday, just to see what they are like firsthand.

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Very interesting subject matter here indeed.

Here's my 2cents worth

PSX - KoF95 was the only half decent port this machine ever had of a Neo game. I played this one quite a bit, considering I had no Neo back then. SS3, yes, I even owned it at one point. The animation is by far some of the worst on the PSX. The rest of the ports, ex: KoF97,98,99 etc are PURE CRAP too. I never played RB on the PSX but "Dominated Mind" wasnt that bad.

Saturn - Hey, I played alot of the Neo games on this one. Very good ports close to the Neo Geo here. The bad part about them was the sound quality, most the voices/sounds were dull, but the games were pretty acuarate. BTW- What was wrong with Metal Slug? I thought it was pretty good port myself.

SNES - Back in the days of Takara and Sunsoft. Not exactly an accurate portrayal of a Neo Geo game, but hey, they tried. Samurai Sho was the worst port over on this machine next to AoF2.

Genesis - Blaarg, crappy ports. SS1 was better than SNES here though.

SegaCD - Never played them(SS1, FFS)

TurboDUO - I have a copy of FF2 but havent played it yet, supposed to be pretty good.

Dramcast - Good ports, but they just dont feel right at ALL. I dont know why. Maybe its the 3d backgrounds.

JRock917

, ,
Originally posted by outsider:
Dramcast - Good ports, but they just dont feel right at ALL. I dont know why. Maybe its the 3d backgrounds.

Very good point. That is one of the reason I prefer the actual SNK neo geo games that the other system ports. It doesnt feel right at all for an SNK game.

Lord Illicious

Krauser's Henchman
20 Year Member
SNK ports to the DC are the best ever especially when the snk game is played with the metalic DC joystick.

I like playing the games on the neo but on the DC it has a chance for updated grafics and even more memory space for more creative gaming.

Im still waiting for a 3 on 3 verses game with snk characters on the DC cuz i knoe the Neo cant handle it but one on one are great too.

G

gokusama26

he he! my Kof DM99 had the colons between them turn to big smilies! colon D=
biggrin.gif
. I do agree with the DM backgound thing though. It is decidedly non-neo. But the game with a joystick is the best thing since MS on saturn with the RAM cart. Did anyone know they made KoM2 for SNES?

G

gokusama26

I didn't mean to include MS Saturn version there. When I was writing the post I was trying to think of all the SNK games ported to other systems. I typed in MS for PSX and forgot about it and then remembered that it came out on Satun too, so I stuck it with the PSX version. I didn't mean to put it in the crap catagory.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Did anyone know they made KoM2 for SNES?

Yes, though not until recently. Another part of the web site I'm working on is to cover Neo ports to all other systems. Kind of difficult when I don't own many of the other consoles, but there aren't loads that were Japan only releases, making life a little easier on me.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I actually welcome it. More the merrier. No matter how good the port is though, the experience is never the quite the same as playing on the genuine article. But it's still good. And I think the ports are going to get better and better.

JRock917

, ,
Originally posted by Neo Bomber Man:
Yes, though not until recently. Another part of the web site I'm working on is to cover Neo ports to all other systems. Kind of difficult when I don't own many of the other consoles, but there aren't loads that were Japan only releases, making life a little easier on me.

I am glad to see you are posting information about this crossover of SNK games to other systems on your site; just in case I have not bookmarked it, what is your site please?

M

metalslug2k

I actually have an in-progress section on games that SNK actually ported to other systems or original SNK projects on other systems on my newly redesigned and renamed site. I plan to cover things like KoF99 Evo for DC, as well as things like King of Fighters Kyo for PS. The URL is http://gaijin.raorvgm.com , although a lot of the lower level pages have not been uploaded yet. You can get an idea of the format though.

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
Ha, do I remember it. I loved it! I had the cart back then & got into an argument with some old friends who (back then) were caught up in the PSX hype. They felt it was better than my neo since it was a newer 32bit system and snk was releasing ports on it. Had a bet if they could tell a difference. Went up to our local store & played it. Muahaha, like taking candy from a baby. Thanks fer the money, sucker!
-nick_th_fury

-----------------------
port of samurai 3 for psx. The lack of animation was sickning and it played like a snail

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
I don't know how much of your question's been answered, but to respond to your inquiry my site is still in progress. Shouldn't take too much longer, but "shouldn't" I say. Who knows what could cause delays. And even though I didn't say so, I am covering original/off-shoot titles like Koudelka for PS, Magical Drop 2 for SFC, Panic Bomber for Virtual Boy, Sonic Wings Special (Saturn & Playstation), etc.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
RBFF was decent on Saturn. The sound effects were raspy, and the same could be said
for KOF '97 for the same system. These games didn't have the same feel as the authentic
Neo versions. Those PSX ports -- don't make me laugh! Has anybody seen Last Blade
for PSX? The animation is almost non-existent, and SamSho3 was a complete joke. KOF '95 suffered from choppy animation too. Metal Slug wasn't bad for PSX.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
You're right, those DC ports are darn close. I noticed that KOF '99's gameplay seems
slower on DC. I don't know, it seems slower in comparison to my Neo version. I love
having little-to-no load times on DC, tho'!

[This message has been edited by NeoLord (edited October 21, 2000).]