Broken Wii

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
:conf: My Wii won't power on. I bought a new power supply and it still won't power on. What do I do now? I got it launch day, so I am sure it is out of warranty. Fuck this sucks... :crying:

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I just remembered the power went out in my house the other day for a split second...could this have fried my system? Anybody else have this problem?:help:

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
crujones4life said:
I just remembered the power went out in my house the other day for a split second...could this have fried my system? Anybody else have this problem?:help:

Was it hooked up to a surge protector?

Maybe the breakers tripped?

Have you tired plugging anything else into the outlet?

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I have my ps3, tv, sat, dvd all plugged into the same power strip and they all still work fine. The wii won't power on in any outlet at all....

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
If you got it from wal-mart put it back in the box and take it back. When they say it's been too long, bitch about them not standing behind their products and if that doesn't work ask for the manager and keep bitching till they swap it with a new one.

It will work, I did the exact same thing after a storm took out my ps2 that I got at launch a few years ago. It was on a surge protector too.

It's also possible that the only damage is in the power supply inside the wii. You might be able to crack it open and just replace the power supply PCB to get it working again. Did that with a Dreamcast once.

cheers,
-DT

dannywhac

Cheng's Errand Boy
Wii's haven't got internal psus - whats prolly happened is one of the internal fuses on the powerline inside the Wii's blown.

If you can't return the Wii, get a multimeter out on the fuses inside the Wii, and replace the blown one.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Surely the fuses would be in the PSU.. I suggest opening that up and taking a look.

dannywhac

Cheng's Errand Boy
Na - he's already said he'd tried a new psu.

Theres fuses that carry power to both the mobo and the dvd drive within the Wii - power surges can pop 'em - theres a few tuts on the net about fixes. Personally recommend as DT said, to try and exchange it first.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Hewitson said:
Surely the fuses would be in the PSU.. I suggest opening that up and taking a look.

Surely NOT!

You NEED fuses in there in case someone plugs in the wrong power supply!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Do you by chance have a gamecube memory card plugged into it?

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
channelmaniac said:
You NEED fuses in there in case someone plugs in the wrong power supply!
Why would they? :conf:

I guess I underestimate the stupidity of people at times.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Try removing any Gamecube memory cards out of it. I think you just wait for a while with it unplugged or something and then power it on later. This is what made my friend's system work again. It is fucking weird.

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Lets have a moment of silence for teh passing of my Wii :crying: .....Okay that's long enough. I sent it in to Nintendo with a check for $82.50 to have it fixed. Turnaround time is 9 to 11 days. Better than $250...

BTW no gamecube memory cards have ever been in my Wii and I already tried leaving it disconnected for a long period of time and reconnecting it, still nothing...it died.