big red MVS paint color

Angel

Morden's Lackey
is the paint color Pantone Coated 485? Does anybody know?

Tiako

New Challenger
Neo Red Colorant
Here's what I got from the forums...

Colorant OZ 48 96
Kx White 0 2 0
R Exterior RE 3 36 1
U Magenta 0 8 1

The question I had was.. which base to use. The one post said he used Glidden paint, but not which base (usually there are like 3 I think, I'm not really good at this stuff) nor which finish (Flat, Eggshell, etc..). The base is important, you'll be asked when you take the formula up... the finish is more up to you.

If anyone buys some with a random base, PLEASE post your results...

Ordered my T Molding today from t-molding.com. I went with the plain black since I was a wimp...

Thanks!

Matt

Another post.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I used the above mixture and it worked out fine. Like in that posting it may tack on a little pinkish. but once it dries it should be fine. Also, the paint is more of a vinyl type in which I used a vinyl repair kit prior to painting since it just needed a touch up. If you are just painting a regular cab, I'd go with the paint and the Snk sticker art.

Angel

Morden's Lackey
so I would be able to take that mixture and go to say Lowes and they could mix it?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I hope you guys are using an enamel and not regular latex paint.

drewster98

n00b
Unfortunately today I went to Home Depot with the original Glidden Evermore paint code and he tried making something similar for me. I read that the paint will go on pink and dry to its normal red color. After painting a coat and letting it dry, I can tell you that this isn't even CLOSE to red. I just painted the worlds first gay Neo Geo cabinet I think. Its definitely bright pink.

Fett, have you had a chance to paint your cab with the Behr Grenadine yet? I'm curious to know what it looks like. Thanks

Went to Home Depot and found they no longer use the same colorant system and Glidden no longer makes the Evermore paint.

I ended up using Behr paint, Color Grenadine S-G-180

Here's a link to the color on their site, but it looks much brighter in person:
http://www.behr.com/Behr/home#vgnex...VCM1000008119fea9RCRD;channel=EXPLORE;view=14

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
What color does it dry on paper?

If you are painting with red you NEED to use a grey primer. You will need at least two coats after primer, probably three.

Red is hard to work with and color matching is a 50/50 success rate, if not lower. The primer makes a HUGE difference.

drewster98

n00b
What color does it dry on paper?

If you are painting with red you NEED to use a grey primer. You will need at least two coats after primer, probably three.

Red is hard to work with and color matching is a 50/50 success rate, if not lower. The primer makes a HUGE difference.

I used a white primer and put 2 coats on.

Dion

Most red paints are meant to be used with a grey primer. Otherwise, the color is off. Lady working at Lowes told me that after I messed up the first few coats. She was right. The color came out pretty good after I redid it with the grey primer.

drewster98

n00b
I guess I'll try some grey primer. I didn't realize they made it. I can't see the color changing that much though. This paint is pretty damn pink.

Dion

They have to tint the primer grey. Tell them you need a grey primer for a darker red.

It is possible they just didn't make your red dark enough. I've had to mix reds before to get the right color.

Red is tricky when it comes to paint. The bargain brands tend to be really bad.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For a deep red they use either a medium base or deep base. They should have told you that you need a gray primer.

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
I don't think MVS red is pantone 485. I looked at it and it looked very orange.

At any rate, pantone is not a paint matching system. When you look at a sample in a pantone book closely you will see that it is not even a solid color. It's almost like looking at news print where you see 1000's of little dots that make up a seemingly solid color. It has to be done by eye or it will end up looking brown.

Also realize that pantone samples are either coated (glossy) or uncoated (flat) and that when matching a bright color sheen plays a large role in the final color.
Most MVS cabs would be a low sheen finish, which leaves the color matcher guessing even further in how to aproximate the color.

I don't recommend going to a paint store and asking for a match to a pantone sample, you will only get a rough aproximation of that color. If you want a match be sure to take in at least a one square inch sample of the actual color you want in order to get the best match.

The whole MVS red thing has come up so often over the years I'm almost tempted to match it myself in a low sheen quick dry enamel and custom package it in aerosol containers. The only reason I haven't yet is VOC regulations and laziness.

MoriyaMinakata

Stakes Winner 2
15 Year Member
Someone mentioned vinyl stickers for the side art?

Is there someone that makes all the side art with the exact size as the originals? I am not sure if I wanna just touch up the paint or if I wanna do it with vinyl.
It is painted on there, right? Looks like that to me...

Edit: Do you have the marquee? Have the red matched at Home Depot or Lowes from that.

Last edited:

Fett

Camel Slug
Again, Behr enamel paint, had primer mixed in, got it at Home Depot
Grenadine S-G-180

Results:
DSC02357.jpg
DSC02367.jpg
DSC02365.jpg

Decals sold here: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183298&highlight=decals

drewster98

n00b
I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow to try that Behr paint. I really hope it turns out as nice as yours did Fett. I already got my decals from the guy on this bored. New CPO came in the other day too. Should have a nice lookin restored game by the weekend if I can get my lazy ass in gear.

MoriyaMinakata

Stakes Winner 2
15 Year Member
Fett:
Did you paint right over the old paint or did you strip it down to the bare wood?

Fett

Camel Slug
My cab wasn't actually painted. It had a Formica lamenite glued to plywood which I broke off. Rather than try to sand the plywood with glue resign all over it I put 3 coats of drywall taping mud on it and sanded it down very smooth.

DSC02351.jpg
DSC02355.jpg

If your's is painted I'd defiantly sand all the paint off first. It's a lot of work, but it makes all the difference in the end.

When painting use a high quality foam roller (if you don't have sprayer access) and only paint vertically, no side-to-side or X's. 2 coats should of paint should be enough. Enamel paints also take 30 days to completely cure so you'll want to keep it out of the house for about a week. I'd also wait a week to put your decals on.

Last edited:

drewster98

n00b
Went to HD this morning and got this Behr Grenadine paint. This color is as close to Neo Geo red as I think you're gonna get. It hasn't dried yet but going on it looked dead on. Its better than the pink color I tried putting on a few days ago. :)