very technical question...

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Is it possible to take out the drive or slots that a game system uses to play games and replace them with another type of device. Such as taking out the cd drive for a neo-geo cd and putting in a mini disk drive insted? could it actually work? that would be one awesome portable. I need help!

slerch666

updyke,
More than likely you would have to reprogram the BIOS and change how games try to load and likely loads of other shit.

Long story short, yeah, you could probably replace them with another device, but you'd never actually be able to USE it. It'd basically be a system with a mini disc attahced to it that does... NOTHING.

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I'd still like to start-up this project to make a portable ng-minidisk system

Rigel

The Ultimate 11
Originally posted by slerch666:
<strong>More than likely you would have to reprogram the BIOS and change how games try to load and likely loads of other shit.

Long story short, yeah, you could probably replace them with another device, but you'd never actually be able to USE it. It'd basically be a system with a mini disc attahced to it that does... NOTHING.</strong><hr></blockquote>

slerch666 is right. At least I think he is. Think of it this way, SNK spent hundreds of thousands of dollars (maybe millions) developing the CD system. It would be pretty tough to basically redesign the system to use different hardware, and a different software media on a non-corporate budget.

You're better of buying some kind of micro PC, and putting an emulator on it, and burning ROMs to mini discs. It'd be a LOT cheaper.

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
can you record anything besides audio with a mini-disk player? has anyone here tried images?

Rigel

The Ultimate 11
Originally posted by zorro:
<strong>micro pc? please explain...</strong><hr></blockquote>

You know, just like one of those really small ones that has OK processing power. I've seen a few around, but they're usually over-priced because of their size.

Robert

20 Year Member
a mini neo CD system would be wonderful. Please post pics as soon as you will achieve it.

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
<strong>can you record anything besides audio with a mini-disk player? has anyone here tried images?</strong><hr></blockquote>

With some additional cables and software you can store data on them as well. But honestly, if you didn't know that, I doubt you'll be able to create a portable neo with it. No offence, but I can't even imagine how hard that would be.

But it WOULD be very nice though :)

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, we've all thought about replacing the NGCD CD drive with a faster one in order to shorten the loading times... But definately it would be very difficult as it would involve a lot of modding.

Shred

Bead Banger
I think replacing the CD drive would depend on wehter SNK used the ATAPI interface for the drive. The only problem beyond that would be getting the embedded system to read the mini-disk format. So you would have to hack the BIOS to get it to read the mini-disk format. So unless you are a really good assembly programmer no go.

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I'm still gonna go for it slowly... I couldn't seem to find any prices on micro pc's yesterday. Even on ebay the ones they had were much bigger. aren't they about the size of a cable modem? how much should they cost?

Shred

Bead Banger
<strong>I'm still gonna go for it slowly... I couldn't seem to find any prices on micro pc's yesterday. Even on ebay the ones they had were much bigger. aren't they about the size of a cable modem? how much should they cost?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Here is something smaller than micro pcs to look at
<a href="http://www.tri-m.com/products/engineering/iccmachz.html" target="_blank">http://www.tri-m.com/products/engineering/iccmachz.html</a>

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
First question: How portable do you want your NeoCD to be? Do you want it portable or luggable?

The NeoCD consoles themselves are way too big to attempt either of those considering that I'm pretty sure the main circuit board is way too big to cram into a portable case. The CD drive is the least of your worries in terms of size.

It would be much easier to look into making a "luggable" NeoCD. First step would be to make sure you've got a suitable battery pack.

Next step would be to see if you can connect some type of LCD display to the NeoCD, maybe even two. Because then you can make custom controllers with the LCD display built in them. (Think of a NeoPocketColour/Gameboy with a cable that connects to the NeoCD.)

Then shove the NeoCD, battery pack in a backpack and lug it around. Of course the NeoCD isn't made for portable play so you probably wouldn't be able to walk around with it.

Hmm... You could also do this with an aes, mvs, etc.

Another project would be to attach a mini CD to an existing portable, create a cart that will load stuff from the CD's. (Easiest step would be to have it load a "Rom". Harder would be to make something like a SystemCard like the once used for the TurboGrafx and write your own game software. :p )

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
basically the ideal of the project is to make a portable about the size of a nomad, maybe a lillte bigger. I want it to have the screen built-in and I want it to be a self-contained unit. No keyboards on it, but just 4 buttons and a contol pad. I want it to start up directly to the porgram to play the games(emu I guess..) and have them load directly from there. I've heard I can have win start up the program automatically.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
What you intend to do is create a mini PC that plays on Neo Geo ROMS or ROMS in general is what I gather because if you are trying to hack hardware you will get frustrated like hell..
-BB

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
my friend can program for me ;) he has helped me on past projects and is good with electronics

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
now what kind of cables do I need to record data onto minidisks?

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Originally posted by leGionellz:
<strong>

With some additional cables and software you can store data on them as well. But honestly, if you didn't know that, I doubt you'll be able to create a portable neo with it. No offence, but I can't even imagine how hard that would be.

But it WOULD be very nice though :) </strong><hr></blockquote>

I need to know more about this. Because I searched the net and there was nothing that said you could store normal files on one unless it was a md data disk on a md data player. I need some help then

dcsas

Integrated,
mini discs arent an optical medium in the same way cd's and dvds are. They use a magneto optical technology and im not even sure if you can find a "mini disc drive". Yes there is a mini disc data storage medium used in a very unsucessful sony camcorder. But you would probably be better of using those new mini cd's that they sell now and just modify a regualr cd-rom drive to be smaller.

Frasermozz

Another Striker
You could use the small format cd's like jap singles? nost of the neo cd games arent oo big, otherwise you're going to have too write a partioning system for minidisk and then make it compatible with a neo cd!! haahahahaaah ahem sorry good luck!