What arcade boards actually need -5V?

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Lately we've been talking a lot about PSU's. We know every board will need 5V and 12V (well, maybe some can even pass without 12V), but the JAMMA harness has a pin for -5V. However none of my boards or the manuals which I have checked need it. So does anybody about any arcade game that actually uses -5V?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I have Mortal Kombat 2, that uses -5 volts, assume the others in the series do also.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Yes, I think that all Williams/Midway games from early 90's need -5V...I have a Smash TV and the -5v goes to the sound board...Total Carnage is the same...all these pcb's have a separate board for sound...

Asure

Captain Dick,
Known -5 users (from top of my head :) )

- Midway boards (nba/mk1/2)
- Midway wolf unit (Mk3 / UMK3, Hangtime)
- Older midway non-jamma stuff (robotron 4 examp.)
- Older Sega system16 (shinobi/golden axe)

There's probably lots more. Usually if the -5 is missing, its just a missing wire and you can run a new one from the power supply to the jamma connector..

Pro_Gear

Another,
20 Year Member
I had problems with my Rastan board awhile back. It needed the -5V

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
Originally posted by Pro_Gear:
<strong>I had problems with my Rastan board awhile back. It needed the -5V</strong><hr></blockquote>

Same here I have a Taito Rastan that has sound issues when there is no 5 volt lead hooked up.

Also I know the Konami GX based games require the 5 volt lead as well , they too will have sound issues without it.

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: candycab ]</p>