Looking for Capacitors to rebuild my Monitor

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I have a Japanese Neo 4-slot with a TOEI model TC-252S monitor and I am unable to adjust the the size and position of the picture. Currently, all there is a two-inch wide strip of a picture across the middle. Is it time for a capacitor kit? Where can I get one for this monitor type?

Last edited:

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I'm guessing that no one here knows where to get a cap kit for this monitor. I guess I will have to piece one together.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Try "The Real Bob Roberts" website...

If he doesn't have it, try Zanen.

If they don't have it then go buy all the caps at Mouser.com

Just make sure if you buy the caps yourself to replace the ones in the monitor you WILL want to measure the ones that are in there to make sure you get new caps that are physically the same size or smaller so they FIT.

Also, buy 105c degree caps as they will last longer than the 85c caps.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
It looks like Mouser is the way to go, but they have a huge selection of capacitors. What catagory do I use? I'm guessing aluminum electrolyte capacitors. Is that right? Also, there are a ton of capacitors on this chassis, do I really need to replace them all? I remember from cap kits, they don't require all of them to be replaced. Should I change out the giant ones too?

Try "The Real Bob Roberts" website...

If he doesn't have it, try Zanen.

If they don't have it then go buy all the caps at Mouser.com

Just make sure if you buy the caps yourself to replace the ones in the monitor you WILL want to measure the ones that are in there to make sure you get new caps that are physically the same size or smaller so they FIT.

Also, buy 105c degree caps as they will last longer than the 85c caps.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
The rule of thumb is you replace all the aluminum electrolytic capacitors. The ones that look like little plastic covered metal cans.

The cap kits typically do not replace the single large filter cap in the power supply but DO replace large caps near the flyback transformer.

RJ

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I'm ready to start ordering caps, but I'm finding out that there are some not available. Can I use a close enough capacitor as a replacement? Does the uf or V have to be exact?

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
You certainly want to get one of the same value. The voltage is irrelevant as long as the replacement is rated at a higher voltage than the original. It simply means its a better quality cap if its capable of handling more voltage.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
You certainly want to get one of the same value. The voltage is irrelevant as long as the replacement is rated at a higher voltage than the original. It simply means its a better quality cap if its capable of handling more voltage.

Be careful though.... larger voltage rating caps may be physically larger and not fit properly on the board.

You need to measure the cap that is in the circuit with a ruler to see how big it is and check to make sure the replacement cap is the same size or that there is enough room on the circuit board for a slightly larger one to fit.

I ran into this same problem when putting together the cap kits for the Neo Geo MVS audio problems. Some caps were too big and I had to look around to find a different manufacturer that had one that was the right size.

RJ

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I just replaced about 70 capacitors on the chassis and I still have the same problem. The picture is still squished, about 2 inches tall. What else can I do? The vertical height pot does absolutely nothing. Do you think the pot is broken? I'm lost here and I put about $40 worth of capacitors into this monitor.