Idiot's corner: What singnals needed to hook up a monitor?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Red, green, blue... ground and vertical? Horizontal? I have a new monitor (high res monitor, but can also do stnd. it's the wells gardner 9400) and I can't seem to figure out how to get the picture. I've got red green and blue hooked up, but I can't tell what two wires I have left.... and where they go. I've tried all combinations. Any help? The wires I have left to hook up are white and a white and blue striped one, but I'm sure that's random as hell depending on the machine.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Is it possible that one is vertical and one is horizontal, and I don't have the ground? I touch one of the wires to the syncs and it gives me a black screen. Perhaps this is ground? Jesus, am I stupid with this stuff (helps that I have no idea what ANY wire does)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Ground and Composite sync?

If they are H and V sync, you can usually combine them together and wire ti to the composite sync output from the pcb.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Not sure what the hell they are. I've tried every combo I can think of. The picture you can tell will be nice, but it scrolls both horizontal and vertical... says "no signal" even though you can see a bit of the scrambled game in the background. Is ground needed? Maybe this is my problem? Shit.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm really guessing that they are H+V sync.....

you tried to connect them together as Composite sync?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
I'm really guessing that they are H+V sync.....

you tried to connect them together as Composite sync?

No, been at work at day. You think I should wire them together and plug that one big one into one? Will the pic still be wavey without ground? If ground is essential, and neither is ground... well, wtf? Where'd the ground go? argh.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
IMG_2258.jpg

This is all I get. It slowly scrolls vertical and horizontal. WTF am I doing wrong? I've used the last two wires that are bundled with the red green and blue in every combo imaginable. I am really getting frustrated, here. I've hooked up many monitors, so what's wrong with this one?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Okay, I figured it out. There was a jumper I had to change in order for the signal to come through. Works great, now.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
Okay, I figured it out. There was a jumper I had to change in order for the signal to come through. Works great, now.

Was the jumper a 31/15 switch?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Not sure. It SAYS "interlace" "regular". I got a black picture when it was on "regular".... so, I got the combination right, but didn't know it because all I saw was black. Pfft.