Kotaku Report: SNK and Customer Service.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
http://kotaku.com/387899/snk-doesnt-pride-itself-in-customer-service

Internet person Chris Bradshaw, aka Gilgamesh, owner of Kikouken.com and regular contributor to CCAcomics.com, bought The King of Fighters XI and SNK vs Capcom Card Fighter DS at his local Best Buy. The Card Fighter game has a fatal glitch that locks up the game. Chris tried to contact the SNK Playmore USA sales department, but never got a response. He sent emails to every SNK address he could find. Still, no reply. Then! He started dialing SNK's office, entering every imaginable extension. Says Chris: "Eventually I did get I touch with someone who gave me the information I needed, but not before I left a message on SNK USA President Ben Herman's machine. I can't tell you what I said verbatim, however I did tell him about how I have been attempting to contact someone at his office for almost two months now because I need to return a defective game (I didn't specify which game because I didn't think it mattered, a warrenty is a warrenty) and that I was now dialing every number I could find and making myself as big of a pain in the ass as possible (and yes, I did use those words) until someone finally talked to me."

"Chris Bradshaw? This is Ben Herman from SNK. I return from a four day weekend, where I go to Pittsburgh, get my daughter, bring her home. And what message do I receive on my machine? Thanks for being a little bit polite. Now I'll make it real simple. I dunno who you bought it from, I dunno what game it is, but you call me back, and... We don't do exchanges unless it was the card fighter game where we did a recall and we can help you there if it is defective. If it's any other game, I will explain it to you to take it back to your local retailer where you purchased it from. Calling your credit card company, fine. You didn't buy it from me personally or my company personally. But would love to hear what your complaint is, like to hear what your item is. As far as customer service, we have a very small sales office here. We don't pride ourselves in customer service. Or where you've sent an email or what you've done, I don't care at this point. Call me back at extension SOME NUMBERS, and I will do my best to resolve it."

Sounds like Herman's at the end of this dude's teather, so before you judge, we really need to hear the message Gilgamesh left on Herman's machine. Still, peeved phone calls from corporate execs? Hey, we'd say that's pretty great customer service!

Found Ben Herman's response a bit funny. Anyone here have any issues contacting them?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
To be fair, he should have contacted his retailer...

And when dealing with SNK-P USA, he should have at least described the game and the problem.

Also sounds like Chris was a bit of a dick...

Last edited:

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
Is that exchange program still going? I saw in the comments below it had stopped. It'd be nice if I could still exchange mine, I never got around to doing so when it came out. :emb:

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
This is BS, plain and simple. When I lived in Japan, I had a semi defective Matrimelee cart. I sent it and my system to SNK Osaka with a crap Japanese letter written in romaji explaining the issue (picture Flintstones level Japanese). They replaced my system's socket and I was ready for the PLEASHURE of playing my game all proper like. Actually, it didn't remedy the issue, but my system was INMATE TIGHT:)

On a related note, I mailed SNK inquiring for a job. But, didn't even get a courtesy, 'wank off' reply. It's so disappointing when some dude gets a job over a person who really believes in customer service. If it were me man, a customer who got a bum product with my company's stains all over it would be a big no no. Sorry brah they're treating you like a leper trying to get puss puss in a whorehouse.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
When you have a defective game, you take it back to the store -- end of story.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I just find it amazing that someone websavy enought to have a website didn't think to at least google the issue once he got a bum copy of the second game.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
norton9478 said:
I just find it amazing that someone websavy enought to have a website didn't think to at least google the issue once he got a bum copy of the second game.

That surprised me too. I've seen many customers pull up service reports on defective products before they contact a company's representative. However, if this report of SNK/Playmore not caring is true then it may start rolling into a bigger issue. The company that I work for centers itself on customer service and support in a very serious manner. Our internal motto is without our customers, we're nothing. Now that may sound very much like corporate propaganda, but the amount of manpower used to isolate a customer concern sometimes goes way over the top of customer expectations.

The way I see it is that there are two sides of the story. Ben Herman's been known to not to be the most personable person when it comes to PR.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Fuck chris's whining, they have a address on where to send the defective carts, and worse even, he didn't even google it to find it, which its plainly easy to do. Chris should have written word for word what he wrote originally, cause we get one side of the story pointing ben out to be a dick, which if he is a man, he should be anyways. This is just jargon.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I think I'm more surprised Ben Herman doesn't give two shits about customer service...but that chris guy is a dick.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I've met Ben Herman. I think he's a pretty interesting guy to talk to. He's very gruff and to the point... He also seems like the type to return a disgruntled customer call. I actually give the guy a ton of credit. How many other execs would have just laughed this one off on the way to lunch that morning?

The story isn't about him, though, it is the simple fact that it had to go that route to even get a call back. It shouldn't matter that there is a ton of info on the web... why did every single person at SNKP up to Mr. Herman go MIA when a customer had a question? I'm guessing he tried general support emails and numbers first... which seemed to have gone unanswered. I know Ben's comment on not priding themselves on their service was just out of haste and frustration, but seriously that is no way to run a company, especially not one that is so niched as SNK/P. I'd seriously bitch at everyone down the customer response chain if I got that message... there was definitely a failure somewhere (most likely multiple).

aria

Former Moderator
This is why I don't really care about SNK --particularly USA-- anymore (as opposed to the Neo Geo).

When the company died, I was sad. I wished they would come back. I forgot the classic theme from literature that wishing for someone to come back often brings some kid of deformed monster or zombie. That's basically where SNK, and specifically SNK-USA is today. We watched SNK get bought by some pachinko company (or the yakuza, depending on who you ask), go through that Apple camera machine company, try to commit corporate seppuku, reappear in Korea, reopen a USA office that rivals the incompetence of the Barone family, then move back to Japan and then get gobbled up by Sammy.

The whole CardFighter Clash DS fiasco is where I just stopped giving a damn.

I know some of you are still bonded to our compilation-regurgitating, witch-touching friends at their corporate, but the writing on the wall has been there for a while and its "this is not the real SNK". If you want to disagree, that's fine --but, for me at least, that's why this is neo-geo.com (besides, my favorite game was by Data East).

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
SouthtownKid said:
When you have a defective game, you take it back to the store -- end of story.

Agreed.

Then again, what Herman said on the phone was damn unprofessional and embarrassing for a man in his position, the issue could have been solved with the usual "thanks for your interest" blah blah in less than a minute, now he has to deal with a much bigger problem and that's another major dent in his rep.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Bobak said:
I know some of you are still bonded to our compilation-regurgitating, witch-touching friends at their corporate, but the writing on the wall has been there for a while and its "this is not the real SNK". If you want to disagree, that's fine --but, for me at least, that's why this is neo-geo.com (besides, my favorite game was by Data East).
I'm still in, but only for the new games worthy of attention (KOFXII, Samurai Sen). Maximum Impact 2 was a quality title. People completely washing their hands of the company to the point of not even giving any of the games a chance are missing the bigger picture -- that this has always been about quality games, not politics. I think you probably feel that way too.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Bobak said:
This is why I don't really care about SNK --particularly USA-- anymore (as opposed to the Neo Geo).

When the company died, I was sad. I wished they would come back. I forgot the classic theme from literature that wishing for someone to come back often brings some kid of deformed monster or zombie. That's basically where SNK, and specifically SNK-USA is today. We watched SNK get bought by some pachinko company (or the yakuza, depending on who you ask), go through that Apple camera machine company, try to commit corporate seppuku, reappear in Korea, reopen a USA office that rivals the incompetence of the Barone family, then move back to Japan and then get gobbled up by Sammy.

The whole CardFighter Clash DS fiasco is where I just stopped giving a damn.

Still better than the history of the Atari Brand.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
nruva said:
why did every single person at SNKP up to Mr. Herman go MIA when a customer had a question? I'm guessing he tried general support emails and numbers first... which seemed to have gone unanswered.

No he got them answered by somebody else...

"Eventually I did get I touch with someone who gave me the information I needed, but not before I left a message on SNK USA President Ben Herman's machine.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I think Ben's reply wa pretty funny; I mean judging by the tone of his response, or what I infer from it, is that Chris left a message that probably wasn't all that polite, pretty vague and possibly even a bit threatening.

I'd have told him to fuck off, but that's just me :D

The guy should have taken it straight back to the store just like every other normal person does when they buy a defective item under warranty.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Yeah, Herman sounded pretty peeved. I imagine that Chris' initial message was pretty irritating.

aria

Former Moderator
norton9478 said:
Still better than the history of the Atari Brand.

Atari is a case study to learn from :p

A case study... in terror.

Nolan Bushnell is rolling in his grave. Wait...What do you mean he's still alive?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Bobak said:
Atari is a case study to learn from :p

A case study... in terror.

Nolan Bushnell is rolling in his grave. Wait...What do you mean he's still alive?

You know who else is still Alive?

Shirly Temple...

She was just in the news for breaking her arm...

I thought that she was long dead.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
You know who else is still Alive?

Shirly Temple...

She was just in the news for breaking her arm...

I thought that she was long dead.
That's a drink, not a person.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
I tried contacting SNKP about MS on GBA through e-mails and never got a response, I eventually found their number in the phone book and called their NJ office. Two weeks went by, and they called me back, and it was the head marketing guy. He was actually really polite, so I don't have a problem.
Herman's response doesn't seem that rude, just can be when you can't hear his tone. If he was really trying to be a dick, he wouldn't give the guy his direct line.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I remember that Alba 'Tall, hard glass of sake' Meira guy continually e-mailed Ben Herman and then Ben finally replied with something along the lines of "Get a life".

so he's ok in my book.