Check out this Ultimate11 boot

Pas

Camel Slug
Just bought a bunch of carts and one of them turned up to be a boot...shame too because this is one out of the group that I wanted to expand my collection!

U11Boot.jpg

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
wow masked roms .... where does one have the facilities to produce those shesh

nicely done boot

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Yea this boot looks interesting. Sorry to hear it was one you need for your collection Pas :oh_no:

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
A nice looking boot (if there is such a thing). My condolences, really sucks to get a cart and find out it's a boot. I got a LB2 from ECL that was supposed to be legit and ended up being a very ugly boot. :crying:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
werejag said:
wow masked roms .... where does one have the facilities to produce those shesh

nicely done boot

No, seriously answer this man question. WTF, if you can produce your own wafers, nothing is out of your reach. Are you sure its a boot.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Hmm,interesting Cart...No SNK anywhere on those boards huh..

How's it work..?

I have this game somewhere around here..I've been boxing up so much shit/
...I did open my 3 and it looks nothing like that.

Pas

Camel Slug
mainman said:
No, seriously answer this man question. WTF, if you can produce your own wafers, nothing is out of your reach. Are you sure its a boot.
Its either a boot or a wierd prototype or something...I just assume its a boot though.

chris1 said:
How's it work..?
Actually it plays perfect without any audio or video glitches. Its very nicely done really...even the soldering looks great. I still play it...I just want to replace it with a real copy one of these days. It is prity impressive for a boot though.

Last edited:

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
mainman said:

Those look like regular plastic non-erasable (aka write once) PROM chips to me....mask roms?

-DT

Kunio

Mr. Big's Thug
mainman said:

Yes, it is a 100% made from scratch boot. Neo Turf Masters with the same board design grow on trees in Korea, all with serial#000955 on English labels. I have seen a Metal Slug with the same design as well.

The NEO-MVS PROGSS3 and SNK logo on the top board in the picture are misaligned, the bottom board doesn't say SNK at all, there is not even one authentic chip on any of the boards and on top of that the top board in the picture has a daughter board flipped upside down and soldered on on the right hand side as well as board-piercing capacitors and resistors all over the place which was common practice in 1990 in the NAM-1975 and Magician Lord heyday. U11 was made in 1996.. Not even SS1 from 1993 looks like that.

If we then start looking at the taped-over S1 and M1 chips which are EPROMS with pencil writing on them we have yet another giveaway. Real fixes always come with labels or color codes as opposed to pencil writing on boot EPROMS. To finish the opponent before VICTOLY is displayed, we can rejoice at mask roms where all chips have different numbering and bears no resemblance to the position of the chips (P1, C1 etc.) and have no NGH-numbers which sit on a board with an edge connector which looks like just any other boot made from scratch but has no equally looking edge connector among original boards. The bridge between the four leftmost pins doesn't exist on any real boards in that design, even among small-run prototypes and test boards.

Due to the mask roms, this is most likely the best boot you can ever find, but it is a boot. It is not a prototype. Hey look, the game was released in 1996 and the bottom board has a 9815 date stamp. I sincerely doubt SNK would make a prototype two years after the game was released, or what do you guys out there think?

dannywhac

Cheng's Errand Boy
Deffo a boot sadly - however, I have seen official 'repairs' involving eproms without stickers or colour codes. These are either repairs, or they ran out of chips for a set bank (ie M and S normally).

Kunio

Mr. Big's Thug
dannywhac said:
I have seen official 'repairs' involving eproms without stickers or colour codes.

Definitely true, but I am yet to see a real fix with pencil writing on the chips. SNK did a lot of stuff, but for some reason, pencil writing on chips seems to be boot-only behavior for some reason..

dannywhac

Cheng's Errand Boy
Agreed - if you see the likes of 'C1,C2,C3 etc' pencilled on 'proms, then its almost 100% deffo a boot....

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
You guys are missing the point of my bump entirely, it's definitely a boot. Those are not mask roms!

They are just your regular run-of-the-mill write once PROM chips, plastic ones at that. Available at Mouser, Jameco, anywhere....

cheers,
-DT

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
dogtoy said:
You guys are missing the point of my bump entirely, it's definitely a boot. Those are not mask roms!

They are just your regular run-of-the-mill write once PROM chips, plastic ones at that. Available at Mouser, Jameco, anywhere....

cheers,
-DT

That definitely make sense as it would cost a fortune to produce mask roms. I just never dealt with any prom bigger than kilobytes ( maybe 1 meg at the most )so I did not know they went beyond that.

I went to jameco etc now, they don't seem to have anything bigger than a meg, can you point out a link

Last edited:

dannywhac

Cheng's Errand Boy
dogtoy said:

cheers,
-DT

Na - am in full agreeance with the fact that they're run of the mill proms - was just having a chat about eprom appearances :)

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
mainman said:
That definitely make sense as it would cost a fortune to produce mask roms. I just never dealt with any prom bigger than kilobytes ( maybe 1 meg at the most )so I did not know they went beyond that.

I went to jameco etc now, they don't seem to have anything bigger than a meg, can you point out a link

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine...ield&OriginalKeyword=OTP&Ntk=Mouser_Wildcards

Here is a Mouser search that shows nearly every EPROM they sell also available in OTP (one time programmable) format. Also known as a PROM since it is not erasable, therefore there is no 'E' as in EPROM. They even have 32 meg M27C322-100's

It's the same as an EPROM, but it is windowless and therefore permanent. Also, these are usually a little bit cheaper than the windowed (erasable) counterparts.

These chips in this boot could be FLASH chips because there are blank plastic FLASH chips that are pin compatible with their EPROM counterparts, but they are usually more expensive than PROM's.

I have used OTP chips to replace damaged mask roms in MVS carts before, just because they are cheaper and you don't have to worry about covering the window to prevent UV data corruption. Perfect for permanently soldered memory that I know I will never need to reprogram.

I find often that cheap PROM chips have plastic casings, while good EPROM's are usually metal or ceramic. PROM, EPROM, and FLASH are all available in plastic, metal, and ceramic depending on price and manufacturer.

cheers,
-DT