Metal Slug Zero

enomosiki

Hardened Shock Trooper
Click here for the original article.

2008-04-23_mslugzero.jpg

Remember the online version of the Metal Slug game that DragonFly announced? Well, look no further. It's coming out as Metal Slug Zero. Apparently, Wiz Hands seems to be providing the financial backing for DragonFly for the creation of this game.

On April 22nd, at the Imperial Palace hotel in Seoul, DragonFly hosted a DragonFly & SNK Playmore partnership meeting, which showed some of the games in development that DragonFly has licensed from SNK Playmore. Presentations included concepts of King of Fighters Online, Samurai Showdown Online and, our favorite, Metal Slug Online, also known as Metal Slug Zero.

"The reason why we (SNK Playmore) have chosen DragonFly as our partner owes to our judgment that it is the most popular game developer in Korea. As such, following the deal that we have made regarding 'Metal Slug Online', we have also entrusted DragonFly to develop King of Fighter Online and Samurai Showdown Online games..." "...I am happy to be able to deliver excellent work with an excellent partner. I wish that we can do well with DragonFly on those three games," said Soichiro Hosoya, director of SNK Playmore game titles, during the presentation.

"I'm very happy that we (DragonFly) are able to make the SNK's pride and joy IP's. As much as Metal Slug, King of Fighters and Samurai Showdown all receive high consideration around the world, we will do our utmost to create respected global online games," said Park Cheol-Woo, president of DragonFly.

Now for the good stuff;

The timeline will be set several years after the events of Metal Slug 5, starting from approximately 2035. The plot is that General Morden has given up on conquering the world with conflicts, and instead tries to set his new plan in motion; to annihilate the entire human race by destroying the ecosystem. Also, Martians, Venusians (the new race of aliens that appeared in Metal Slug 6) and Ptolemaic threats have not been confirmed to be neutralized completely. As such, nations around the world become highly dependent on the Regular Army forces. With the growing necessity of the Regular Army, new addition of troops to the Peregrine Falcons and Sparrows, both being small and little-known special forces branches that are often given near-impossible missions, are expected.

The game will be in 3D, but the gameplay itself will still be in side-scrolling form. Marco, Tarma, Fio and Eri are back, and a few new characters are slated to be introduced as well. More new characters are planned to be added during game updates. And, as stated before, this will be an online multiplayer game. Four people are able to play simulatenously in a game. New enemies are to be included as well.

All items will be able to be collected as cards and stored in a cardbook called "Metal Book", which will be ranked depending on how many cards that the player has collected from levels F from the lowest to the A at the highest. When 100% is reached at level A, the player will be able to proceed to the next episode and access newer systems and contents, while the rank is reset to F. This process will be repeated for player advancements.

The prototype of the game was finalized in March of 2008. Official homepage of the game will open in May. Alpha build of the game will be revealed in July, with the beta version planned to be shown in October. By December of this year, they plan to run a closed-beta testing.

Minimum system requirements will be;
CPU: Intel Pentium 3, AMD Athlon XP with SSE support
RAM: 256MB
Video: Geforce FX 5200, ATI Radeon 9550 with Pixel Shader 2.0 support
Operating System: Windows 2000 or higher
Recommended;
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 or higher
RAM: 512MB or higher
Video: Geforce 6600, ATI Radeon X600 with Pixel Shader 2.0 support
Operating System: Windows XP or higher

Wiz Hands also stated that it will announce further information, including the new characters, as time passes by.

Last edited:

enomosiki

Hardened Shock Trooper
Wolferaizer said:
PC.....

thought this news like 3 yrs ago?

That was about the one that MEGA Enterprise was making, before the entire company took a dive into the shit's creek after declaring bankruptcy.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
See how little people care about metal slug nowadays, its awesome.

ikariwarriorf22

New Challenger
Metal Slug is my favorite series. I hope there is a Metal Slug 7 since MS6 ended with a to be continued. I have the Metal Slug Anthology on the PS2 and 2 cell phone games. Is Metal Slug 0 coming to consoles? One can never play enough Metal Slug.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
MS7 is coming to DS only. its been in development for a while now.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Why are they calling it Metal Slug Zero if it takes place after 5?
oh whatever.

woulda been pretty cool if they did make a metal slug zero where you play as General Morden's son and at the end he dies/sacrifices himself which sets off all the events that lead him to form a rebellion against the army.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
Don't really have any expectations for it, they could have just waited and did an online MS anthology. Also not very interested in the 3D graphics.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:
Why are they calling it Metal Slug Zero if it takes place after 5?
oh whatever.

Because that keeps in line with SNKp's number system.

Samsho 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 0.

When first looking at the silhouettes of the characters I thought "Eolith" (the shapes are a little bit "Crazy War"), but it turns out DragonFly is developing the game. I wonder it's simply a Korean art style or if Eolith has a connection to DragonFly.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Is 7 an unlucky number in Japan or some shit?

Fuck the zed shit...

I understand that SFA is SFZ cuz the Japanese have no concept of the greek alphabet and all.

Last edited:

enomosiki

Hardened Shock Trooper
norton9478 said:
Is 7 an unlucky number in Japan or some shit?

Fuck the zed shit...

I understand that SFA is SFZ cuz the Japanese have no concept of the greek alphabet and all.

Metal Slug 7 is coming out for NDS.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Blah, doesn't sound that interesting. Hopefully I'm wrong. I doubt it though.

enomosiki

Hardened Shock Trooper
Sarumaru said:
I think your site is broken, it's in some sort of moon speak. And what was the point of that vid?

It's just kanakura trying to advertise his site as usual. Nothing special.