Samurai Spirits Sen is out in arcades...no one else played it yet?

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
I'm sorry to say that I'm pretty disappointed in this title so far. The game looks GREAT; it's easily the best-looking 3D title SNK has ever produced and has a look that could reach out to non-fans and get them interested. (The arcade operator stuck the game in two crappy old cabs, one without sound, but even then it was still drawing attention.) They even brought back some old backgrounds from SS1-3. The roster is nice and large, and has some pretty diverse character designs. My favorite is Kim Kaphwan's ancestor (?), Kim Helron (sp). I also liked the cowboy boss character's design, although his unlockblockable bullets were insanely cheap.

So why I am so disappointed? The game just didn't play all that well to me. I *did* go in blindly, having zero knowledge of how anything works, but the game play just felt so stiff to me, like a 3D fighter circa 1995-1996. There didn't seem like much else you could do beyond the dial-a-combos and special moves. No freedom in attacks. On top of that, AB slashes do insane damage; it's like going back to SS1 or SS2. Playing with a friend, we found that there seemed little reason to do much of anything else, although thankfully certain attacks and combos could hit another character out of his/her AB animation before the slash connects. It just seemed so boring, though. Both of us also got to the end boss (or at least, I think he's the end boss) using nothing but AB slashes over and over again against the CPU. Those cut scenes sure were pretty...that was about it.

think they should have gone the Maximum Impact route and created a 3D fighter that has a little more of a 2D feel. This just doesn't work that well, IMO. Within 30 minutes of play time, I was back on Basara X. I never got to play either Hyper Neo-Geo 64 Samurai Spirits game, so I can't compare it to that, but this game was just not anywhere near as good as the previous 2D Tenkaichi Kenkakuden. I hope I missed something; I really wanted this to be good. :oh_no:

Last edited:

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Neo Geo MVS said:
Sounds like the hyper 64 version but with more characters.
Actually based on this latest impression and the vids shown so far, it sounds like the Samsho characters were just plunked into Soul Caliber.

*sigh*

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Originally Posted by Kazuki Dash
Actually based on this latest impression and the vids shown so far, it sounds like the Samsho characters were just plunked into Soul Caliber.

*sigh*

Your right I just saw some video clips of it and its very soul caliber like.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I wanna know when SNK vs Namco is going to come out....

SSS

neo retired
Fish_Monger said:
That is what I've been afraid of this whole time.....

the hyper games are actually great titles, so I don't see what your complaining about

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
I'm actually itching to play this game as well. It's just arcades have no popularity where I am so I'd probably be better off with the console port in 2009.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
sounds like you need to play the game more. Your comment about the AB slashes being cheap reminds me of when I first picked up Guilty Gear and all my friends I did was activate the instant kill.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Why in 2008 are they still using AB slashes? Why the fuck can't SNKP just use a separate button already? You're not stuck to the JAMMA standard pinout anymore for fuck's sake.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:
Why in 2008 are they still using AB slashes? Why the fuck can't SNKP just use a separate button already? You're not stuck to the JAMMA standard pinout anymore for fuck's sake.
Old habits die hard.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
THis game looks like shit imo. You sure it is using the Taito-X hardware?

Megatron X

X nortageM,
Neo Geo MVS said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPPxCXFw0QA&feature=related

Here is a great link to some video of how gruesome it looks and I actually think its going to be a great game for the Samurai Shodown franchise. Damn I can't wait to play this one. :drool_2:

nice ... looks and plays similar to soul calibur in a way ... damn i want to play this ... i'm about to dust out soul calibur 2 now ...
thaks for the link to the video ...

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:
Personally I'm so used to it I'm glad they stuck with it.

johnroche

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
OrochiEddie said:
sounds like you need to play the game more. Your comment about the AB slashes being cheap reminds me of when I first picked up Guilty Gear and all my friends I did was activate the instant kill.

Good times. So much about that game was broken. (Well, the "instant kills" and Kliff mainly)

That said, I'm surprised that they actually not only brought back blood but the dismemberment too.

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Originally Posted by Megatron X
nice ... looks and plays similar to soul calibur in a way ... damn i want to play this ... i'm about to dust out soul calibur 2 now ...
thaks for the link to the video ...

No problem, it does look soul calibur like. I think this game might be interesting don't shoot it down until you give it a try first guys.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Neo Geo MVS said:
No problem, it does look soul calibur like. I think this game might be interesting don't shoot it down until you give it a try first guys.

If it really plays like the Samsho64 ones, it's nothing like soul calibur, and vice-versa.

Well from the very earlier videos and the one with the fatalities, it looks more like samsho64 to me. But only playing to know, maybe.

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Look and Play don't mean the same thing. I sorta like what I see from some of the video I posted, in one scene the opponent gets his hand cut off and he falls to the floor crying like a little bitch holding the wrist of the cut off hand while blood gushes out of it. Gotta love that cutting off the head scene too. Lets hope the game play lives up to the fatalities.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
I'd probably be more pumped for it if the returning roster had more diversity.

Seriously, did we really need so many SS 1 characters in the game?!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
YeldellGW said:
I'd probably be more pumped for it if the returning roster had more diversity.

Seriously, did we really need so many SS 1 characters in the game?!

What do you mean? What's wrong with the original cast?

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
wasabi said:
What do you mean? What's wrong with the original cast?

For the most part, nothing really. Just like to see some other characters get some more exposure. That's all.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
YeldellGW said:
For the most part, nothing really. Just like to see some other characters get some more exposure. That's all.

There's only one perfect roster in the entire series.

Asura Zanmaden.

10 years have passed, I don't see things changing.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Neo Geo MVS said:
he falls to the floor crying like a little bitch holding the wrist of the cut off hand while blood gushes out of it.
Pretty certain you'd cry like a little bitch, too, if your hand was unceremoniously severed and you were watching your lifeblood pouring from the open wound.

wasabi said:
There's only one perfect roster in the entire series.

Asura Zanmaden.
Not perfect. It still has the Roo-Roos. :P

SamuraiShodownSensei said:
the hyper games are actually great titles, so I don't see what your complaining about

Totally with you!

I managed to master a few chars in samurai shodown 64... 11 years back!:lolz:

Just gotten myself the mobo and sadly, still hunting for this great game. Ebay ain't selling!!! :blow_top:

PS: 1st post :p